United (N) | FA Cup Final | Post-Match Thread

I mentioned Terry because he very clearly intentionally made himself big with the idea of using any part of his body to block shots. He did it on a regular basis and was not penalised often enough.

That very obviously was not what Jack did yesterday. If you look at the right video angle you see Jack has his eyes closed and didn’t see the ball, wasn’t making himself big or doing anything unnatural.

Neither situation is difficult to interpret correctly.

If you go back to first principles, handball has to be deliberate and that has to extend to not deliberately keeping your arm out of the way / taking evasive action where you can.

I believe that referee’s should make judgements on that, they make judgements on other rules. The issue is, and long has been, having referees who are competent at making those decisions.

I hate VAR with a passion, but making big decisions (in the box) should be even easier with access to multiple video angles etc.
The part I hate the most is they don’t run the replays for a few seconds before the alleged offence for context, all you see is a 1-2 second clip of Jacks fingers being brushed by the ball, then back again, then forward, and every time that happens the subliminal message of there’s an offence been committed, is increasing in the referees mind, it’s akin to a review in cricket to see if a batter has edged a catch, 3rd umpire will say can you rock it back & forward, until he’s satisfied one way or the other, except the handball isn’t a cut & dried penalty, and they’ve eradicated the context of the situation, it’s handball but ‘Not’ a penalty for me,

Doe me the most obvious consideration is did it change the trajectory of the ball in any meaningful way. It not case closed it it did then consider intent proximity etc. At least get rid of the faintest glances that don't impact where the ball ends up being given
How many times have we seen rerun after rerun to see if a keeper made the slightest fingertip touch to turn a ball onto the post, over the bar or wide?

At high speed, it only takes a slight touch to deviate a ball enough to stop a certain goal.

We've even seen it where a player's claimed he made a slight touch for a goal, when it could also be easily awarded to the person crossing the ball.

Many of these calls are just too close to call, even with 4k, multi-camera angles. The slightest of keeper touches can cause a ball that was gonna hit the post & go in, to hit the post & bounce to a defender who clears. We see this nearly every week in the PL.

I've no idea how we can acknowledge this as a great save, but then say the ball brushing Jack's fingertips didn't deviate the ball an inch giving Ortega a better chance of catching the cross... \0/

Just watched Jacks post match interview again. What a lovely guy, so humble and very candid. Of course his fee will always be controversial but personally I feel he's been good value for City on and off the field. You can't put a price on togetherness, hard work, brilliant technical ability and work ethic. This team has it in abundance and more.
On a side note, the body language from the female interviewers was interesting. They both looked star struck.
Laura Woods touched him about 4 or 5 times didn’t she?

Most things have been said to death, but, one major moment needs to be savoured in particular.
Johnny Stones in, I think the 47th minute - tried to make a mental note as it was so good - when he took the ball under pressure on the edge of our box; controlled; drop of the shoulder; turned and strolled out towards the half line, leaving 3 scummers trailing in his wake.
Absolutely top, top drawer. M.O.M. for me.
Stones is the finest demonstrator of the hook turn I've seen, outside or inside of his foot, it's such a simple skill but is so effective and Stones does it perfectly

Just watched Jacks post match interview again. What a lovely guy, so humble and very candid. Of course his fee will always be controversial but personally I feel he's been good value for City on and off the field. You can't put a price on togetherness, hard work, brilliant technical ability and work ethic. This team has it in abundance and more.
On a side note, the body language from the female interviewers was interesting. They both looked star struck.
Maybe be slightly paraphrasing but,iirc,
"I just don't see how it was a pen, I wasn't even looking that way"... then... "but Gundo saved me!"
Hehehe, well done JG, fuckin love it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.