United thread 2012/13 (inc merged IPO thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JM Mcr said:
laserblue said:
Even houses near the Etihad are now worth more than those near the swamp!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-19/manchester-city-s-soccer-stadium-helps-homeowners-outdo-united.html?cmpid=yhoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-1 ... cmpid=yhoo</a>
Worth more in the sense that their actually, on average, worth around £75,000 less

Homes near the Etihad Stadium have an average price of about 79,098 pounds

Properties close to Old Trafford, less than 5 miles (8 kilometers) to the west, are valued at 154,145 pounds

Love your logic ;-)

Having been born and raised in East Manchester (Bradford then Openshaw) I can confirm that it was, and remains, a shit hole. With the exception of the new East Manchester academy (and I don't actually know how dependant on City that was) the "Etihad Campus" has done little to improve the lifestyle of many locals. You only have to take a stroll (tho a sprint may be safer) through Beswick Precinct, Openshaw Village or Clayton to see that, if Richard Leese really believes the opposite is true then he's more blinkered than I thought.

That's not to say the investment in infrastructure, such as training facilities, that City are making isn't welcome or that it won't eventually improve the area, but I really don't yet see the regeneration that the quoted article refers to.

have you had a looked round stretford, salford and old trafford. if anything has put the prices up in the immediate area it`s the quay`s

r.soleofsalford said:
JM Mcr said:
Having been born and raised in East Manchester (Bradford then Openshaw) I can confirm that it was, and remains, a shit hole. With the exception of the new East Manchester academy (and I don't actually know how dependant on City that was) the "Etihad Campus" has done little to improve the lifestyle of many locals. You only have to take a stroll (tho a sprint may be safer) through Beswick Precinct, Openshaw Village or Clayton to see that, if Richard Leese really believes the opposite is true then he's more blinkered than I thought.
That's not to say the investment in infrastructure, such as training facilities, that City are making isn't welcome or that it won't eventually improve the area, but I really don't yet see the regeneration that the quoted article refers to.
Have you had a looked round stretford, salford and old trafford. if anything has put the prices up in the immediate area it`s the quay`s
Of course I have, just using the original posters own quoted article to make a tongue in cheek reply to the statement about houses prices.

With regards to me calling east Manchester a shit hole, it is. As are many areas (including much of Whalley Range, Old Trafford,
Ordsall etc) around Utd's ground.

I wish people would view my reply in the context it was made - specifically responding to a couple of quotes, in the bloomberg article, making out that the regeneration of east Manchester has already happened and the area is now an urban utopia...

It is not about Utd and City!!

JM Mcr said:
laserblue said:
Even houses near the Etihad are now worth more than those near the swamp!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-19/manchester-city-s-soccer-stadium-helps-homeowners-outdo-united.html?cmpid=yhoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-1 ... cmpid=yhoo</a>
Worth more in the sense that their actually, on average, worth around £75,000 less

Homes near the Etihad Stadium have an average price of about 79,098 pounds

Properties close to Old Trafford, less than 5 miles (8 kilometers) to the west, are valued at 154,145 pounds

Love your logic ;-)

I'd usually let things like this go but it comes across like some trumped up little shit. You start by editing a quote to suit your point when the real point was that the surrounding area around the Etihad has increased in value much more than that around Old Trafford. Here's the actual quote pal:

'Homes near the Etihad Stadium have an average price of about 79,098 pounds compared with 21,328 pounds in April 2002, Halifax said. Properties close to Old Trafford, less than 5 miles (8 kilometers) to the west, are valued at 154,145 pounds, up from 80,698 pounds a decade ago.'

What it's saying is that since the stadium has been built the houses around have jumped to nearly 4 times the value while those at yours have nearly doubled. This is usual as you have been there for over 100 years while we've been there for a 10th of that. So what's wrong there, all's they are saying is that people are happier to live there now rather than when it was an industrial area with lower wages.

And to somehow tar everybody who lives in that area as scumbags who will rob you, beat you or kill you is fucking ridiculous. You say you were brought up in these areas but would be too scared to walk through them says more about you than it does about anybody who lives there. If your going to look down your nose and sneer at people just because of where they live I'd be tempted to give you a slap myself for becoming somewhat of a snob.

Just take a look around though pal, when was the last time you visited the immediate area? Were you there when they were ripping the old ruins down and rebuilding upmarket houses and flats? What about the many sporting arenas that have helped the national teams in the Olympics and many other sporting events? What about the further plans in Philips Park/Clayton Vale? And what about the new plans for the Academy, what affect will that have on the area?

Yes, these areas have had problems and have had a bad reputation but reputations can change and that's what the Commonwealth and City legacies are bringing to the area. An area where people now feel a little more proud to live with hopes of a better future where their children can play ball in the streets and get a decent education at the newly opened Academy's.

Yet you get on your high horse and spit your dummy out because an article states that the area is growing more popular than your newfound dream.

Pathetic!

Trumped up little shit? The edited quote I included was to allow me to make a light hearted reply to a post, I'm not sure how this has descended to where it's at now.

As for your other statements, obviously I'm not calling the whole population of east Manchester scumbags - again the remark about being safer to sprint thro there was a flippant one.

I couldn't give a toss how house prices hold up in Manchester 16 but am extremely pleased that they are increasing in Manchester 11 - I still have 2 sisters living there (1 round the corner from Ravensbury School and 1 just off Mill Street). I have an uncle living on North Road, 3 God children attending St Brigids primary school on Grey Mare lane and I attend Mass at the church there every Sunday with my 3 children.

I am aware of, and appreciate, the improvements to Clayton Vale (being old enough to have knocked about on there when it was known as The death hill and the lime hill - remnants of the old tip) and regularly walk through there with my kids from one of my sisters house (near Greenside Lane) to anothers in Clayton. However the regeneration of Clayton Vale had been ongoing for many years and certainly wasn't instigated by the arrival of your owners a few years back.

Obviously City's owners have invested in the area and, as I've said previously, I'm grateful for that. Hopefully the ongoing investment may eventually see the whole area properly regenerated but it hasn't happened YET which was the point of my reply.

Like yourself I read the whole article so saw the statement by Richard Leese talking about the regeneration of the area, as if it was something that's been done. That simply isn't the case and I spend enough time around there (apart from my family most of my close friends still live in Openshaw and Beswick) to know that's the case.

That's the point I was trying to make, and to cast me as some sort of dummy spitter who's upset because house prices are rising more quickly in Beswick than in Old Trafford is ludicrous. I was born on Charlesworth St in Bradford, lived on Openshaw Village for nearly 20 years and even now only live a couple of miles away from City's ground (tho now on the other side of Oldham Rd) and am immensely proud of where I come from. That doesn't mean I can't point out it's faults or refute some politicians bullshit when I read it.

As I said, I don't know how this has descended to insults - I made a couple of lighthearted comments and a serious point - at no point did I criticise City, their owners, their fans or the residents of Manchester 11 (well maybe the latter with my silly comment about running thro rather than walking), but I guess people will interpret my comments as they wish..<br /><br />-- Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 pm --<br /><br />
The Future's Blue said:
You seem busy on here at the moment JN Mcr, what's upsetting you bud?
Oh n nothing mate but I really wish I hadn't bothered clicking on that Bloomberg link now :-(

JM Mcr said:
Trumped up little shit? The edited quote I included was to allow me to make a light hearted reply to a post, I'm not sure how this has descended to where it's at now.

As for your other statements, obviously I'm not calling the whole population of east Manchester scumbags - again the remark about being safer to sprint thro there was a flippant one.

I couldn't give a toss how house prices hold up in Manchester 16 but am extremely pleased that they are increasing in Manchester 11 - I still have 2 sisters living there (1 round the corner from Ravensbury School and 1 just off Mill Street). I have an uncle living on North Road, 3 God children attending St Brigids primary school on Grey Mare lane and I attend Mass at the church there every Sunday with my 3 children.

I am aware of, and appreciate, the improvements to Clayton Vale (being old enough to have knocked about on there when it was known as The death hill and the lime hill - remnants of the old tip) and regularly walk through there with my kids from one of my sisters house (near Greenside Lane) to anothers in Clayton. However the regeneration of Clayton Vale had been ongoing for many years and certainly wasn't instigated by the arrival of your owners a few years back.

Obviously City's owners have invested in the area and, as I've said previously, I'm grateful for that. Hopefully the ongoing investment may eventually see the whole area properly regenerated but it hasn't happened YET which was the point of my reply.

Like yourself I read the whole article so saw the statement by Richard Leese talking about the regeneration of the area, as if it was something that's been done. That simply isn't the case and I spend enough time around there (apart from my family most of my close friends still live in Openshaw and Beswick) to know that's the case.

That's the point I was trying to make, and to cast me as some sort of dummy spitter who's upset because house prices are rising more quickly in Beswick than in Old Trafford is ludicrous. I was born on Charlesworth St in Bradford, lived on Openshaw Village for nearly 20 years and even now only live a couple of miles away from City's ground (tho now on the other side of Oldham Rd) and am immensely proud of where I come from. That doesn't mean I can't point out it's faults or refute some politicians bullshit when I read it.

As I said, I don't know how this has descended to insults - I made a couple of lighthearted comments and a serious point - at no point did I criticise City, their owners, their fans or the residents of Manchester 11 (well maybe the latter with my silly comment about running thro rather than walking), but I guess people will interpret my comments as they wish..

-- Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 pm --

The Future's Blue said:
Oh n nothing mate but I really wish I hadn't bothered clicking on that Bloomberg link now :-(
No, you edited the quote to suit your own needs as the original post had nothing to do with your reaction. You have this knack of trying to denounce everything we do (now the neighbourhoods are involved) somehow trying to play down our achievements whilst ensuring your own are cast in a good light - 'it's all the Glazers fault you see'.

I'm not interested pal, everytime you state something and are picked up for it you throw in the usual, 'I've been misinterpreted', 'It was flippant' speel knowing that most will overlook it.

My involvement in your post wasn't about City, it was about an area that you deemed below you because you have moved out. You say you are immensely proud so please tell me the last time you returned to said places and had to run through them in fear of the worst? Proud is a word you use as something to prove you haven't changed.

This isn't about insults, this is about real thoughts about real people because every post I read of yours is nothing other than well thought out and real. Anybody else, I could take as lighthearted as that's how many City fans are, but you have proved in those few posts how bitter a Man United fan can be.

Any chance for a dig pal, that's you, and you do not care who is involved. But what I really hate about your posts is what I've alluded to before, the way your own thoughts turn into a joke when picked up or not a real view from yourself but a misinterpreted statement that you can reason away.

It's only my view though pal, I'm sure many will still love your 'misinterpretations'.

JM Mcr said:

As I said, I don't know how this has descended to insults - I made a couple of lighthearted comments and a serious point - at no point did I criticise City, their owners, their fans or the residents of Manchester 11 (well maybe the latter with my silly comment about running thro rather than walking), but I guess people will interpret my comments as they wish..

-- Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 pm --

The Future's Blue said:
Dont go quoting facts on here, it'll only end in tears

JM Mcr said:
r.soleofsalford said:
JM Mcr said:
Have you had a looked round stretford, salford and old trafford. if anything has put the prices up in the immediate area it`s the quay`s
Of course I have, just using the original posters own quoted article to make a tongue in cheek reply to the statement about houses prices.

With regards to me calling east Manchester a shit hole, it is. As are many areas (including much of Whalley Range, Old Trafford,
Ordsall etc) around Utd's ground.

I wish people would view my reply in the context it was made - specifically responding to a couple of quotes, in the bloomberg article, making out that the regeneration of east Manchester has already happened and the area is now an urban utopia...

It is not about Utd and City!!
Nowt wrong with the range.

The Future's Blue said:
'Homes near the Etihad Stadium have an average price of about 79,098 pounds compared with 21,328 pounds in April 2002, Halifax said. Properties close to Old Trafford, less than 5 miles (8 kilometers) to the west, are valued at 154,145 pounds, up from 80,698 pounds a decade ago.'

What it's saying is that since the stadium has been built the houses around have jumped to nearly 4 times the value while those at yours have nearly doubled.
There is another way to look at it.

The average price near our ground has gone up £57,770, and around OT £73,447, I suspect this is mainly due to the considerable new build around both stadiums, but more near ours than theirs, and yet the average near theirs has still gone up more than near ours.

Statistics can be used to suit all angles.

No idea why any of this matters in a football forum though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.