United thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prestwich_Blue said:
LoveCity said:
Fabrizio Romano ‏@FabRomano21 24m
Guarin is an idea for Manchester United but no official bid. Inter asks 15M€, Manchester don't want to spend more than 11/12: not easy #MUFC

You have to love the Glazers. United are one of the richest clubs in the world (despite debt) and they won't pay an extra few million for a midfielder who is better than pretty much all of their own.
That FT article quoted a few pages back summed it up perfectly. The Glazers are running a business and aren't interested in spending any more of the rag money than they absolutely have to. And Moyes is the perfect manager to help them achieve that.
Fellaini transfer?

You don't have to have much of a business head on you to realise than Man Utd need to spend in this window, even paying over the odds for players.

If Liverpool beat Villa at home, and Utd fail to beat Chelsea, they will be 7 points off the Champions League places and there will be panic in the Utd ranks, and a clamour to spend the sponsor's money that will be hard to resist.

So far Utd fans have accepted that they wont win the title, but that they will make the top 4 spot. That could all change this weekend. We can't lose (providing we beat Cardiff). Either it's the beginning of the end of Man Utd, or Chelsea are dealt a huge blow in the title race, and City get a huge lift.

laserblue said:
jay_mcfc said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Shit analogy & you've missed the point. If someone bought a smaller supermarket group like Booths & poured money into until it rivalled Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys then there could and would be no complaint. Tesco wouldn't be whining that they'd built their business up over many years and Booths had no right to have outside investment. That's business.

The system of revenue sharing prior to 1981 was designed to ensure a relatively level playing field financially. That's what happens in the NFL, NBA and MLB and no one dominates. Only Liverpool & Everton, with the wealth of the Moores family, had a little bit more money in those days. There was very little TV money and therefore not much prize money in those days so gate money was the main revenue stream. So taking money off the smaller clubs was inherently unfair as that tipped the balance financially. Those 5 clubs went on to dominate the landscape as they then had more money (and the clubs with the most money usually win more things) while the other clubs had less. At least we've not 'stolen' money off other clubs to get where we are.

It's not a shit analogy at all and I've not missed the point. No-one can seriously have a problem with clubs wanting to keep the money that they have earned through their own supporters and due to the product that they supply. If you didn't like my previous analogy then perhaps it would be better to use an entertainment one, as that is what football is; it would be like Peter Kay giving half of his ticket sales to Jason Manford.

And comparing it to American sport does you no favours when their entire system is setup up for equality. If you want to follow the American way then there shall be no relegations and the team that finishes last gets to choose the best of the upcoming talent the following year.

Where your argument falls down is that the system of sharing gate receipts continues in the domestic cup competitions. I take it you wouldn't agree with the rags if they drew a non-league club at home in the FA Cup (which they not infrequently do) and tell them they can only have say 10% of the gate receipts because they are small and unworthy and most of the fans in the ground are rags and if they don't like it they can fuck off.

What happened with the league gate receipts was the result of the playground bullies ganging up on the other kids. Once they got their way all league clubs had to follow suit, making smaller clubs particularly vulnerable if they have a run of away games, especially long distance, as a result of the shake up of the fixtures or a couple of home game postponements. Not that the rag 5 ever gave a toss.

What happens in the FA Cup isn't proof of my argument falling down. It is totally understandable that the FA Cup games have shared gate receipts for a number of reasons, not least because it is only one game usually and if you're drawn away you would receive zero income. That is not the same as a league season where there are equal numbers of home and away games.

I'm not saying that it was a snide thing to do by the powers that knew it would be of obvious benefit to themselves. That much is obvious but the fact they did it comes as no surprise and with no real problem, to me anyway. Football is a business and therefore money made by the business should remain with the business as should any investor's investments or sponsorships.

SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
on a financial scale how much will it kill United if they don't get top four?

Err pb mentioned something about next year being given as grace but the next year then they lose to the point of serious damage.
However other stuff like sponsors they will be pissed off in the now.
Hopefully he sees this and says some numbers interspersed by big words.

I like the idea of Utd playing in the Europa League on a Thursday night - that will damage their chances next season. Few cope with football on a Thursday

TCIB said:

Err pb mentioned something about next year being given as grace but the next year then they lose to the point of serious damage.

I'm just hoping if they don't get top four, they have a mass exodus of players and players realise it'd be a shite move for them.

Jose's stirring up trouble again! Mourinho claims Rooney will leave United in the summer... but not to the Premier League
Chelsea boss insists United will try to offload Wayne Rooney this summer
Mourinho says United may try to sell abroad rather than to a domestic rival
Chelsea still interested in Rooney having failed to land him in the summer
But Mourinho's barbs with United may hamper chances of signing the striker
Mourinho said earlier in the week that he had inside information about the mood at Old Trafford, saying the club are 'not happy'

The Chelsea manager cranked up the heat ahead of Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash against United by suggesting Old Trafford chiefs will look to offload Rooney to an overseas club at the end of the season.
Rooney is expected to miss Sunday's game with a groin injury but United are considering risking him and he could travel with the team.

Mourinho remains interested in the England striker, having failed in a bid to land him last summer, but he said: ‘United were clear in the way they approached the Rooney situation.
‘They don’t swap. They don’t sell. I don’t see that changing, they were very clear about that.
‘Will it be the same this summer? I think maybe this summer they will try to sell to a non-direct rival. But they were very clear, not to a domestic direct rival.’
Mourinho will return for Rooney at the end of the season but his barbs at United are not likely to help his attempts to land the forward.
The Chelsea boss said earlier this week he had inside information about the mood at Old Trafford.

The Portuguese told London’s Evening Standard newspaper: ‘My feeling, which is based on years of communicating with Sir Alex and some inside information, is Man United are not happy, but they are calm.’
David Moyes, whose side trail third-placed Chelsea by nine points, yesterday said Mourinho had apologised to him for those comments.
‘I have seen it and I have had an apology from the Chelsea media department and from Jose.’
Moyes refused to be drawn about the possible departure of Rooney but said he would not talk about players at rival clubs.
‘I wouldn’t do it but everybody has their own style,’ said Moyes. ‘I can’t tell you what Jose’s motivation is but only time will give you the answer about Wayne.’

Rooney has 18 months left on his contract, meaning United may be forced to sell him this summer to ensure they do not lose him for nothing at the end of next season.
But Moyes, who revealed Rooney has returned to light training at the club’s Carrington HQ following a warm-weather break in Egypt, re-iterated the club will try to extend the striker’s deal.
He said: ‘The club will deal with that. They will do all the things they need to do, no question.’

Something is defo going on with Rooney can see him going to Chelsea in the summer to be honest 18 months left.Article is from the Dailymail.

TCIB said:

£65 million is the figure being banded about. But I`m not sure if that`s the "no European" football figure. If they make the Europa League I reckon that figure comes down.

TCIB said:
I read stuff about contracts since 2010 having a clause about no cl = paycut.

There is a rumoured 25% wage reduction for the majority of players for no CL qualification. It is believed that RVP and Rooney are free of this clause and not affected.

zandvoort blue said:
£65 million is the figure being banded about. But I`m not sure if that`s the "no European" football figure. If they make the Europa League I reckon that figure comes down.
That figure is the EBITDA target they have to meet for their revolving credit facility. They are allowed to fail to meet it in two non-consecutive seasons because of failure to qualify for the CL. So if they fail to qualify for the CL in two consecutive seasons AND miss the £65m EBITDA minimum figure, their revolving credit facility could be withdrawn.

They got £30m in prize money from CL last season which they'd lose if they didn't qualify this season. If they qualify for the EL, then they still get ticket money for the games they play and that could be 6 or more (home) games. They force season ticket holders to pay for European games so they'd still pull in over £3m a game, which could make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.