United Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they have a season like last season they'll be paying 300 notes for a pro star kit

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I bet Wayne's excited about the switch to Adidas:

Adidas+old+lady+sweater.jpg

Is that his latest girlfriend?

waspish said:
dubblue said:
We will be watching from afar as they ride off into the sunset regarding turnover. Yes,we have significantly improved ours but it will always be an attempt to bridge the gap,while never getting close to their revenues.

Oh we will and we will surpass it...

correct and wont be that long either. Rags will not get 75m a year for a team not in any Euro competitions. Its just a story to keep their share price from dropping through the floor again.

I'm With Stupid said:
LoveCity said:
A new precedent is being set from their kit + sponsorship deals and all top clubs will now want deals at least within touching range of their's. For example, Arsenal's Puma deal is half of what United's Adidas deal is going to be.

We're making around £52m/year from Etihad (the apparently inflated and unfair deal that ALSO covers a stadium + training campus) + Nike compared to about £135m/year they will be getting from Adidas and that car firm. Etihad deal needs pushing up to at least £60m per year and the Nike deal to in the £30m vicinity if renegotiations are possible.
The Etihad deal might go up, but the Nike deal will be based entirely on how many shirts they can sell. The reality is that we still don't sell as many as the perennial 4th placed team or the 7th place (when they signed the deal) history professors. But yeah, it makes of mockery of Liverpool and Arsenal fans claims that our sponsorship deals were inflated, when they're signing bigger deals than us despite doing fuck all for years.

Not true. Shirt sales for Nike is only a secondary concern for them. With a brand as big as ours the big concern for them will be their own brand growth piggybacked off of ours, so it has more to do with how much PR and success we get. Sales is secondary, trust me. I know an awful lot about Nike's history in American sports and they have never been a company to just latch on to the team of the moment. They invested and practically built Oregon into a powerhouse(out of local college loyalty by Phil Knight) and once that was done they did the same for rival Oregon State. They are currently doing the same at Oklahoma State. All of these colleges were sporting minnows but big investment came in(at Oregon from Phil Knight himself) and Nike partnered up and invested heavily, and reaped the rewards due to the success. None of these teams have huge shirt sales...but are having them now due to the success.

Meanwhile, Adidas are a whole other story. In the US they've been well and truly ousted by under armour as Nike's main rival(Not right now but any industry expert sees the growth of under armour vs the shrinkage of adidas brands as an inevitable power shift to see Nike v Under Armour). Adidas has also lost it's most recognisable partnership with the University of Notre Dame who they were so in bed with they neglected other deals and lost them to Nike and Under Armour, and now have no major US sports team. They also have no chance of getting in with one thanks to sleeping on them when they thought Notre Dame would be in bed with them forever. So they need a team and they need one bad...

...and the Glazers know that all too well. Its a move of desperation by both brands and United being dropped by Nike is a sign that Nike sees that brand as peaked, whereas Adidas is just looking to show it's still relevant and therefore fashionable.

mancity dan said:
Why would Adidas pay more than double for the Rags sponsorship than they do for Real Madrid and Bayern Munich?

Because (I would guess) that they will lock United in for the extremely long term, and they will get huge bang for their buck out of it. Expect them to work United to the bone for that money. I'd also envisage them losing Real at some stage. They'll never lose Bayern, but what they desperately need right now are English speaking franchises, be it in the UK or US.

Thaksinssoldier said:
mancity dan said:
Why would Adidas pay more than double for the Rags sponsorship than they do for Real Madrid and Bayern Munich?

Because (I would guess) that they will lock United in for the extremely long term, and they will get huge bang for their buck out of it. Expect them to work United to the bone for that money. I'd also envisage them losing Real at some stage. They'll never lose Bayern, but what they desperately need right now are English speaking franchises, be it in the UK or US.

Aren't they part owners of Bayern Munich now (16.6% or something?)

mancity dan said:
Thaksinssoldier said:
mancity dan said:

Aren't they part owners of Bayern Munich now (16.6% or something?)

Yep, part of the AAA alliance. It's Adidas, Allianz and Audi. Peoples club my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.