United Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
de niro said:
BloodRed-UTD said:
Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
Not a glory supporter but you chose to support your team when they were in the midst of their period of greatest success and the best team in England and one of the best in Europe.

Seems legit.

The timing was good I'll admit but it was cantona who led me to united.

why not Leeds?
Well obviously they weren't winning as much.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
BloodRed-UTD said:
I only asked a question so that i can get an opinion from city fans...nothing wrong with that ..like I said and keep saying ..I came here to talk about football ..not Defend myself

Quite frankly, you are facing an uphill struggle to engage with City fans in the manner you desire.

To explain why, perhaps i should I give you a history lesson. Don't worry it's free.

For many years City and united fans co-existed in a state of relative harmony. My dad, a united fan, like so many others of his generation, used to go to old trafford one week and Maine Road the next. Even in the late sixties when both clubs were collecting trophies there was still an air of mutual respect.

What changed? Two things in all probability. One was a cultural shift in the way football support was carried out, but I expect City 'relegating' united in 1974 tipped a lot of reds over the edge.

From that point their attitude to a City discernibly changed and became palpably more nasty and small time.

When we were relegated against Luton at Maine Road in 1983, the numbers in the away end were swollen by several hundred united fans. Something I am certain blues wouldn't have reciprocated if the boot was on the other foot. Following that relegation City went into long term decline, but rather an arrest the vindictiveness of united fans towards our club, it seemed to heighten it. They started to mock and deride our club with increasing viciousness, accentuated no doubt, by the increasing number of non-Mancunians that were stating to attach themselves limpit-like to that club as its success continued.

And then there was that banner. A material embodiment of this prevailing contempt that was displayed above the players' tunnel at old trafford and worst of all, endorsed by the club - whenever there was a concert it was taken down and put back up afterwards. It served to signify a view held across all levels at that club - from owners through to management and supporters that we were an enduring source of mirth to them. It wasn't just the banner of course, it was also the way that we were frequently talked about by senior officials at the club - who, it should be remembered, conspicuously forgot the benevolence that our club extended to them before and after the Second World War.

And they thought it would carry on Iike that forever. An arrangement where they would always have someone to deride.

And then everything changed. Be it by luck, happenstance or serendipity, but the footballing world turned on its head.

When the kid who gets bullied at school gets a good job and the model girlfriend that goes with it, what do you expect him to do at the school reunion? Sit meekly in the corner - or to go up to those who teased him and say "fuck you"?

I know what I'd be doing.

united_banner_1897690c.jpg

Never forget.

Here endeth the lesson.
I'll just add a little bit to that. I'm old enough to admit to watching both clubs in the mid-60s, at least until I starting working and found the money to follow the Blues up and down the country. As you say, there was a certain rivalry between the supporters and it worsened in the 70s with United's relegation and where it became evident that City in that decade were the dominant club, but that rivalry reached another significant level with the formation of the Premier League and all the ills that a worldwide TV audience was to dump on us. The tradition of supporting a local club was lost in favour of supporting a club which just happened to strike the top at the right time, and along with the emergence of the internet, it brought out the worst in many people who became tempted to insult players with such inappropriate language as we have seen in this last couple of pages. The strangest though least harmful insult of them all, I find, is for people who claim to follow United, but in doing so happen to mock the Manchester accent. At least it isn't a swearword, but it's still a strange one that perfectly matches the personality of the New Age football supporter.

Excellent post, GDM.

But you omitted to mention the one thing that turned City fans - and those of many other clubs, I suspect - against the rags more than anything before.

The odious **** that was their manager for 27 years.

Before GPC arrived, I hated scum because they were our local rivals, but I did despise them like I have since he showed his ugly mug in Trafford.

Indeed, the first scum manager I can remember was one of the most honourable men in football, maybe in all sport, and a former City player. Matt Busby was effusive in his praise and congratulations to Sir Joe when we pipped them to the title in '68 and was happy to do so on national television. I don't think GPC ever uttered one word of congratulations to either the club or Roberto.

That's how much of a small-time **** he is.

de niro said:
BloodRed-UTD said:
Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
Not a glory supporter but you chose to support your team when they were in the midst of their period of greatest success and the best team in England and one of the best in Europe.

Seems legit.

The timing was good I'll admit but it was cantona who led me to united.

why not Leeds?
Never seen him play for Leeds I could only watch the premier league from around 96/97 before then it was just local tv

BloodRed-UTD said:
I only asked a question so that i can get an opinion from city fans...nothing wrong with that ..like I said and keep saying ..I came here to talk about football ..not Defend myself

Quite frankly, you are facing an uphill struggle to engage with City fans in the manner you desire.

To explain why, perhaps i should I give you a history lesson. Don't worry it's free.

For many years City and united fans co-existed in a state of relative harmony. My dad, a united fan, like so many others of his generation, used to go to old trafford one week and Maine Road the next. Even in the late sixties when both clubs were collecting trophies there was still an air of mutual respect.

What changed? Two things in all probability. One was a cultural shift in the way football support was carried out, but I expect City 'relegating' united in 1974 tipped a lot of reds over the edge.

From that point their attitude to a City discernibly changed and became palpably more nasty and small time.

When we were relegated against Luton at Maine Road in 1983, the numbers in the away end were swollen by several hundred united fans. Something I am certain blues wouldn't have reciprocated if the boot was on the other foot. Following that relegation City went into long term decline, but rather an arrest the vindictiveness of united fans towards our club, it seemed to heighten it. They started to mock and deride our club with increasing viciousness, accentuated no doubt, by the increasing number of non-Mancunians that were stating to attach themselves limpit-like to that club as its success continued.

And then there was that banner. A material embodiment of this prevailing contempt that was displayed above the players' tunnel at old trafford and worst of all, endorsed by the club - whenever there was a concert it was taken down and put back up afterwards. It served to signify a view held across all levels at that club - from owners through to management and supporters that we were an enduring source of mirth to them. It wasn't just the banner of course, it was also the way that we were frequently talked about by senior officials at the club - who, it should be remembered, conspicuously forgot the benevolence that our club extended to them before and after the Second World War.

And they thought it would carry on Iike that forever. An arrangement where they would always have someone to deride.

And then everything changed. Be it by luck, happenstance or serendipity, but the footballing world turned on its head.

When the kid who gets bullied at school gets a good job and the model girlfriend that goes with it, what do you expect him to do at the school reunion? Sit meekly in the corner - or to go up to those who teased him and say "fuck you"?

Never forget.

Here endeth the lesson.

Outstanding. That needs sending on to the players so that when they are 5 goals up they don't take their foots off the fuckers throats.

BloodRed-UTD said:

Never forget.

Here endeth the lesson.

I hear what you're saying but those are your own problems with united fans not mine..I'm not a psychiatrist I can't help you with that

BloodRed-UTD said:
BloodRed-UTD said:

Never forget.

Here endeth the lesson.

I hear what you're saying but those are your own problems with united fans not mine..I'm not a psychiatrist I can't help you with that
Why would I want help with it? The fact you've suggested that I would means you don't seem to understand what it is to be a football fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.