United thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I agree he's looking like a decent hire to be honest. But let's say he is, their biggest problem is that playing "like a United team" isn't going to get them very far these days. Football has moved on, so this obsession with recreating their old ways will get them nowhere in the long term.

They really need to lay the "Fergie Years" to rest and look to reinvent themselves, which was what Van Gaal was at least attempting to do. Solskjaer represents a huge step backwards in that regard. They desperately need to move forward but haven't got the patience required as they're still stuck in the past.

I wasn't really speaking about longterm, just how they look now. At the start of the season under Mou, I honestly thought they would struggle to be top 6 - I'm sure I posted this somewhere. They now are top 6 and have an outside chance at top 4 even if it is unlikely. In November, I really didn't think there was anyway they would crack the top 6 based on how they looked. Now, you see how different they look. Someone put together a table post Ole and United I think were 3rd behind Liverpool & City

The Fergie thing is a burden, no question - I remember posting on this ahead of his retirement. United fans were in for a rude awakening and 6 years later, that continues. They're no closer today to challenge for a title than they were then but money talks and you can change your fortunes quickly - if spent shrewdly. Mou made a mockery of it & burned through Glazer profits but should they get a sporting director it is likely to make a difference

Some of you, not directed at you per se, are a bit paranoid about your crosstown rivals when they are really no threat to City apart from potentially derailing your title hopes this season. They will not challenge City while Pep is there, I have no doubts about that

I wasn't really speaking about longterm, just how they look now. At the start of the season under Mou, I honestly thought they would struggle to be top 6 - I'm sure I posted this somewhere. They now are top 6 and have an outside chance at top 4 even if it is unlikely. In November, I really didn't think there was anyway they would crack the top 6 based on how they looked. Now, you see how different they look. Someone put together a table post Ole and United I think were 3rd behind Liverpool & City

The Fergie thing is a burden, no question - I remember posting on this ahead of his retirement. United fans were in for a rude awakening and 6 years later, that continues. They're no closer today to challenge for a title than they were then but money talks and you can change your fortunes quickly - if spent shrewdly. Mou made a mockery of it & burned through Glazer profits but should they get a sporting director it is likely to make a difference

Except they were 6th when Mourinho was booted and are 6th now. And when they did get shot of him, it was just before a hugely friendly set of fixtures. There's no real reason to assume they're better now than they were then, it's just that this manager smiles occasionally.

Except they were 6th when Mourinho was booted and are 6th now. And when they did get shot of him, it was just before a hugely friendly set of fixtures. There's no real reason to assume they're better now than they were then, it's just that this manager smiles occasionally.

Difference is in how they look, not the points. Again, I wouldn't compare a coach who has had 30 months with a squad to someone who has been there 5 months in terms of points. Let's revisit in 25 months?

You honestly think they don't look better today than they did in say November?

Young is a tactical renewal and only 12 month extension. This can't be seen as a poor move. Jones & Smalling are vets of the team, versatile and England internationals - you go into the market and you spend half your transfer kitty to replace them two? I'd rather they replace Lindelof & Bailly.

Was the expectation that Ole was going to make these sweeping changes mid season? Not really a plausible scenario is it? Let's see what happens in the summer and the moves they make before concluding how poor their overall longterm strategy might be now that they shed themselves of the special one

Pogba could be an interesting case if RM truly are interested, they could easily recoup their initial investment and spend more wisely this time around. At best they are top 6, currently. That is likely to change, deep down you recognize this inevitability as well. Far cry from challenging City or Liverpool currently but I continue to believe they are better today than they were in August 2018.
Young was shit and is worse now.
Smelling and Jones you say are England internationals.
Only because they play for the shit.

Difference is in how they look, not the points. Again, I wouldn't compare a coach who has had 30 months with a squad to someone who has been there 5 months in terms of points. Let's revisit in 25 months?

No, I don't. I just see players who were woeful under a manager prepared to call them woeful versus ones that are still woeful, under a happy, clappy one who praises them so the atmosphere is better.

Now, that doesnt mean Solskjaer is a disaster, but nor does it mean he should be given props for taking them nowhere special.

Last edited:

If you think Ole will still be there in 25 months time then words fail me.

No, I don't. I just see players who were woeful under a manager prepared to call them woeful versus ones that are still woeful, under a happy, clappy one who praises them so the atmosphere is better.

Now, that doesnt mean Solskjaer is a disaster, but nor does it mean he should be props for taking them nowhere special.
That about sums it up,6th to 6th

Agree, their form looks good & bad for you guys. On the one hand they are licking their wounds but on the other, a derby usually throws form out the window. I'd much prefer they were rolling on a 5 match win streak than a 5 match losing one, tbh

Where I definitely agree with you is in thinking they are a couple of seasons away from Top 4. Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs should be better next season too, so United have their work cut out. Especially if Wolves and some other team like Leicester or Watford perk up. Maybe even Everton.

It's great ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.