United thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given all I've learnt from the 'He's worth it in shirt sales' thread, I've come to the conclusion that United can't afford to let Pogba go. Not because of shirt sales (as that thread proves), but image rights, commercial sponsor revenue and social media. If he goes they have no face, no 'brand', and it will start to hit income at some point.
The club are probably happy to bring in cheap enough young players and not be winning trophies, but they need the superstar razzle dazzle and the Rashy and JLingz double act just isn't looking promising.

Given all I've learnt from the 'He's worth it in shirt sales' thread, I've come to the conclusion that United can't afford to let Pogba go. Not because of shirt sales (as that thread proves), but image rights, commercial sponsor revenue and social media. If he goes they have no face, no 'brand', and it will start to hit income at some point.
The club are probably happy to bring in cheap enough young players and not be winning trophies, but they need the superstar razzle dazzle and the Rashy and JLingz double act just isn't looking promising.

This is how it's always been with them. When I was at school the face of the rags was George Best. It was the 'swinging sixties' and it was a battle between him and The Beatles about who could occupy the most column inches in the tabloids. There were full colour posters of George Best on almost every wall in every house in the UK. Fucking sickening.
Fast forward a couple of decades and you had the whole Beckham circus to contend with. Now it's Pogbad and those two utter prats that you seemingly cannot escape from.

It's part of the rag DNA, faux celebrity status. They were loathed and derided for it back in the sixties, and it's a state of affairs that continues to this day.

This is how it's always been with them. When I was at school the face of the rags was George Best. It was the 'swinging sixties' and it was a battle between him and The Beatles about who could occupy the most column inches in the tabloids. There were full colour posters of George Best on almost every wall in every house in the UK. Fucking sickening.
Fast forward a couple of decades and you had the whole Beckham circus to contend with. Now it's Pogbad and those two utter prats that you seemingly cannot escape from.

It's part of the rag DNA, faux celebrity status. They were loathed and derided for it back in the sixties, and it's a state of affairs that continues to this day.

Absolutely, wouldn't disagree with any of that. However, it's different now.
These days they need to have the poster boy (or boys). It isn't just image, or attracting some new fans, or even giving them an edge in getting that extra noodle partner, it's big, big bucks. The noodle money helps, obviously, but the new kit deal needs a star to hang it all on - or the deal goes sour. It's the same for the other big deals; shirt sponsor, training kit, etc. If United lose the icon and can't replace, it disturbs the foundations and likely has consequences down the line.
It seems logical to think this all comes about because, as you said, it's what United have set themselves up to be. Their DNA has evolved into a beast that needs feeding.

Romelu Lumpkaku is taking the piss out of them deciding on his future (Burger King making him Whopper meal supervisor).
He'd be a terrible whopper meal supervisor. No matter how many staff they put on they'd never get past a kids meal. Eventually they wouldn't be able to get past him into the kitchen either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.