United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
United.

LOL.

Probably they won't go down - but it's honestly possible. United are shit - ownership is clueless, players are crap, attitude and effort is lacking - trust in the team and teammates is absent. Players don't fit the modern game (e.g., de Gea couldn't pass his way out of a shoebox; Fred can't keep the ball); it's a total mess.

Thank God the Glazers have no clue about how to proceed. United are only going to get worse and worse.

I disagree. The Shiekh knows fuck all about running a bank so he brought in people that do. The important thing was these people didn't listen to idiots that said Barclays should be run like RBS. The Sheik made 2 billion pounds in profit.
The Glazers know fuck all about football, they don't need to as they appointed people who do. The mistake they made was listening to the gpc, the fans, the media. All the people that thought because the rags had been succesful it would continue.
Football has changed. They haven't. If the Glazers had any bottle they would ban the gpc, sack Fletcher and all the other sycophants that 'remember when we were good'
You have demolished your own argument. They would not have listened to the siren voices if they knew how to run a football club. They appointed Woodward as CEO when he had no knowledge or experience of football. Some of the mistakes he made were absolutely horrendous. He failed for a decade to appoint a DOF. Result: No consistent way of playing, chaotic transfer policy, successive managers doing their own thing. Did he really think Maurinho would play attacking football?
I could go on with comments on the wage structure, the contract renewals, the atrophy in their academy, the confession that Woodward thought the only way to keep up with City was to spend big.
Contrast with City appointing the entire team from Barca!
My point was not that the Glazers knew nowt about football, but that they appointed people who were as ignorant as themselves, as the post to which I was replying made clear.
EDIT PS. Forgot to mention the lack of succession planning, as noted later by gdm.

Last edited:

I suppose the manager will say that Martinez's size wouldn't matter if the team could play football. Seems like he wants to play the Pep style, so the possession should mean that his defenders shouldn't have that much to do. However, this is England fella......we like a nice long ball hoofed into the area over here.

It was obvious they had issues. If you look at their net spend from 2009 to 2013 (‘no value in the market’ ffs) it was obvious the squad was starting to creak and age.

When you think what a team they had in 2008: amazing front three, possibly the best back four in world football and a decent midfield and the squad they had in 2013 it was clear they were in decline, which despite significant sums being thrown at the problem, has continued.

Not sure I’d have made such a bold prediction though!
In hindsight I could have ended up with egg on my face making such a bold prediction.

However, I was taking a number of components into consideration, some of which you've alluded to. The important one was the GPC retiring and the impact he had on the club.

All the signs of demise were there but the icing on the cake was the end of the GPC's era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.