United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance De Zerbi goes there. Even though Brighton have stuttered a bit this season as teams have worked out the system I still think he's an excellent coach and he's definitely been earmarked to go to a top club.

As for Potter I thinks a very good coach but couldn't handle the ego's and toxicity in the Chelsea dressing room. Imagine what it's like at the rags at the minute?
I think the Brighton boss would move to Old Trafford in a heartbeat if the offer comes.. it’s still the biggest managerial job in football alongside the England and Madrid job.

He's a solid long-term manager who is great at building slowly with strong emphasis on youth development. But he was a disaster at big-spending Chelsea. It will take United five to ten years to turn things round but their fanbase are not that patient.
If Potter goes in he will have an immediate problem. The current players won't respect his CV. They will think he hasn't played at the highest level - left back at Stoke, WBA, Birmingham and one season in the PL with Southampton, plus other clubs lower down the league in Northampton, York, Shrewsbury etc - nor has he managed at the highest level and been successful.

He's had some success with Ostersund and built pretty good sides at Swansea and Brighton but as we all saw, move to a club where the 'expectations' are higher means you'd better carry that dressing room very quickly with some tactical nous and start winning games consistently. He won't be afforded the five to ten years or a long term project. Chelsea promised him that and look what happened there.

I don't think Potter is that bad a manager tbh and he seems a decent bloke, but I'd be surprised if he was strong enough to stand up to the fractured culture that exists there right now and get his ideas across to the egos that reside in that dressing room. Put aside the laughable recruitment, those players - after they realise their own careers have gone backwards - have pretty much done for the last few managers. They don't appear to be tactically intelligent to take on new ideas, so they start losing, sulk and down tools again. And hey presto that's another manager finished.

Which means....the same old shit just carries on. So I hope Potter signs up ASAP if they shunt off Ten Hag! :O)

If Potter goes in he will have an immediate problem. The current players won't respect his CV. They will think he hasn't played at the highest level - left back at Stoke, WBA, Birmingham and one season in the PL with Southampton, plus other clubs lower down the league in Northampton, York, Shrewsbury etc - nor has he managed at the highest level and been successful.
That only leaves one candidate who can fulfill the criteria. One who has won every honour at the highest level in England and managed a national team.

Give it to giggsy!!

Whoever comes in will need time, and the Rags and their hordes don`t have the patience. As previously mentioned it took Pep 12 months to get what was a successful squad to play the way he wanted. But it wasn`t just 12 months, there was the time that Pellegrini put in to lay the foundations for Pep. Two games in Pep`s first season come to mind, Everton away and Leicester away where we were seriously tonked. If that were to happen to them they`d hound out the new incumbent before you could say Sick Swan. Can you honestly see a new manager turning that squad round in 12 months? It`ll take years not months. As Ratboy says the club has become a graveyard for players and managers alike, would an aspiring manager risk their career. I`ll be the cheaper option of an ex-player again. Step up, or is it step down, Michael Carrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.