United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact is that it's far from out of our hands. In all probability points will be dropped. That's as factual as any assumption can be. However in the unlikely event that all three of us win our remaining games we'll finish third. What's in our hands are our games. I'll buy that it's out of hands when we're mathematically out of it. Not before.
Ahh you see, what you have to automatically assume is that both Arsenal and Liverpool have already won all their remaining games and their points are just a formality, so our efforts are a fruitless endeavour.

Then you can see the "it's out of our hands" argument making sense.

Ahh you see, what you have to automatically assume is that both Arsenal and Liverpool have already won all their remaining games and their points are just a formality, so our efforts are a fruitless endeavour.

Then you can see the "it's out of our hands" argument making sense.
Literally nobody has said that. Some people think that Arsenal and / or Liverpool will win all their games. Some don’t. What is indisputable is that even if we win all of our games, we need both of them to drop points in at least one game. Therefore it is out of our hands.

Literally nobody has said that. Some people think that Arsenal and / or Liverpool will win all their games. Some don’t. What is indisputable is that even if we win all of our games, we need both of them to drop points in at least one game. Therefore it is out of our hands.
Ahh, yes, you see there is the mistake. People THINK they will win all their games. I see draws in many of their fixtures. But I don't know the results, do you?

So you base it being "out of our hands" on the assumption that Ars/Liv WILL win all their remaining games. Others state it being "in our hands" on the basis that Ars/Liv will draw at least one of those fixtures and we will all ours, hence "it still being in our hands" as long as we continue to win our games. Optimism over pessimism, which is exactly what was being aluded to.

It is not a "fact" that they will win every single game. It is an observation, an opinion. Why is the opinion that others truly feel Ars/Liv WILL slip up at some point and City capitalising on it, not at least given some semblance of respect, at least as an opinion?

"ooh it's out of our hands now!" We should just give up then should we?

Ahh, yes, you see there is the mistake. People THINK they will win all their games. I see draws in many of their fixtures. But I don't know the results, do you?

So you base it being "out of our hands" on the assumption that Ars/Liv WILL win all their remaining games. Others state it being "in our hands" on the basis that Ars/Liv will draw at least one of those fixtures and we will all ours, hence "it still being in our hands" as long as we continue to win our games. Optimism over pessimism, which is exactly what was being aluded to.

It is not a "fact" that they will win every single game. It is an observation, an opinion. Why is the opinion that others truly feel Ars/Liv WILL slip up at some point and City capitalising on it, not at least given some semblance of respect, at least as an opinion?

"ooh it's out of our hands now!" We should just give up then should we?
No ffs, that’s just what “out of our hands” means. It means we are relying on other results to go our way which we can’t control. As I’ve said before, I don’t think that either of them will win all of their games. Not convinced we will either but if we win all of our games then I think we will win the league. But none of that changes the fact that it is “out of our hands”!

No ffs, that’s just what “out of our hands” means. It means we are relying on other results to go our way which we can’t control. As I’ve said before, I don’t think that either of them will win all of their games. Not convinced we will either but if we win all of our games then I think we will win the league. But none of that changes the fact that it is “out of our hands”!
But if you don't think they will win all their games and DO think WE will win all OURS, that means it's still "in our hands" correct?

It's not that deep, bru. It's an optimism statement anyway.

Mathematically, at present, it is out of our hands.

It’s irrelevant jouro-speak though. A bit like starting the title race before Xmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.