United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely 100% guaranteed that if he does come back (I genuinely don't think he'll play for them again - they're not that stupid) expect an interview with some **** like Lineker or Ferdinand. He will bring up past trauma, maybe some abuse and then absolutely guaranteed he'll mention mental health problems. There'll be people on here who will back him up as he'll mention mental health......
It’s more likely to be Piers Morgan.

One of the most truly vile aspects of the defence of Greenwood's actions, even in the face of the video evidence (and the transcribed version of the audio from it) is the line I am seeing posted all over responses to United's club statement: "we have all made mistakes".

In this context, a mistake would be striking your partner in a fit of rage amidst of a heated argument (only once, ever), immediately realising what you have done, showing great remorse, accepting responsibility and the consequences for the violation of trust and duty of care, and doing everything you can to make amends for doing so.

It is horrible thing to do but it is a mistake nearly anyone could make in the right circumstances and one in which there is a path back with real work. Many partners will understandably not want to come back from it, but some may see it as a break of character in a moment of weakness and accept efforts to regain their trust.

A "mistake" is not repeatedly--with evidence--forcing another human being to have sex with you, no matter how many times they say they do not want to. That is not a "mistake", that is a clear, premeditated violation of another human being.

To use the "we are all sinners" nonsense is the lowest of low defences and is indicative of truly dire and despicable personal beliefs of justified dominance over other people.
to be fair to Greenwood when he asked her politely she said no. What's he meant to do after that? Not have sex?

I do think he should be let go by united. He's more than able to go get a job at Aldi or somewhere as I don't think he should be banned from earning a living but i think he has forfeit his right to make a living from football due to the inherent adulation and respect that comes with that job.

However I think there is a certain naivety in people thinking that football will make it impossible for Greenwood to have a career. He'll get a few boos and maybe some aggro if he goes to take a corner but football will quickly close ranks if he gets a vape thrown at him or something "people don't deserve to get harassed at work no matter what they did" etc. Plus football is inherently a team game - united fans might say they wont celebrate any of his goals but if he scores a winner in a cup final it'll be all about the team that got them there etc. Would you think less of any player that went to celebrate with him?

People still listen to Michael Jackson, R Kelly and Chris Brown etc because we make excuses for the things we love - it's actually how abuse works. United fans love united, we all love football, so eventually we will either have to give up the things we love or temper our outrage by using language like "made a mistake" etc. This is not a fault in society but a feature. If we spent all our time actually outraged by the outrageous things that happen all the time then we'd never get stuff done or enjoy good moments. The ability to normalise incredibly painful and difficult things isn't just a coping mechanism but one of the strengths of humanity (as I'm sure you can testify to).

Again, for the record, I don't think he should be playing football and his behaviour should be condemned in the strongest terms. It saddens me that this happened and if United do play him then they should also be condemned. I have other thoughts too jumbled to express clearly so i'll leave it there

Have the rags announced what they are doing at Greenwood ?
No.

In other news, the tumbleweed is flowing around the Caf about the subject. No doubt the mods/admin have locked/deleted any threads that spring up about it.... presumably because it will be all out war between an alliance of the misogynist supporters + the 'he would help us get back to where we belong(!)' supporters against the few and far between level headed forumites, that want him gone from their club.

I'm guessing their mods don't want to have the workload. But as per their football team's management, they could easily put out a (sticky) statement condemning it, but they haven't... need those clicks and Ad impressions?

Surely it's not hard to have some moral code somewhere in their forum userbase/management, to set them apart from their teams usual practise of sweeping things under the carpet or massaging the press reaction?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.