United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note.

I read today that Gazza wouldn’t have gone off the rails like he did if he had joined Utd.
Because he would have been chaperoned by Bryan Robson. Lol
Went to see gazza at a sportsmans dinner. He was was 5/10 but one thing he said that made me chuckle was the myth that if hed gone united fergie wouldve kept him on the straight n narrow.
He said “oh yeah? Like ferdinand running away from a drugs test, giggs shaing his sister in law and rooney shagging grannies!?”

A total myth that GPC kept his players on a short leash
Robson, sharpe, keane etc were all massive piss heads

Well this is where I’m confused.

If the CPS thought there was enough evidence to compile a case, then drop it, Why?

According to the legal experts on another thread the preference of the victim to prosecute or not is irrelevant. It’s the responsibility of the CPS?
I guess because their main witness , ie his girlfriend would refuse to state what happened.

I guess because their main witness , ie his girlfriend would refuse to state what happened.
I think the fact it didn’t go to trial is actually worse for him. No not guilty at the end of it. He has never been cleared of anything. He will be brought back because he is worth £50m to them and they ain’t letting that go. If it was an U21 nobody, he would have been gone already.

The only people who can influence this positively in my opinion are the United Women’s team who could and should make a stand. That would be horrendous publicity for them if they went against them. They probably won’t though.

He will be hammered everywhere he plays to be honest except by the idiots who follow them.

This could, of course, just be a huge sham. Maybe they had no intention of allowing the cnut back, but by putting the rumours out there it would encourage as many clicks as possible. Then finally the club would come out and say "We're not having him back. The end."

After all, what with us doing the Treble and the women's world cup going on they've hardly been mentioned.

His girlfriend dropped the charges, so the CPS had no option but to drop the charges. It helps to have the charges dropped when your a multi millionaire able to bribe people.

He's a scum bag. Astonishing utd are even considering bringing him back. Good for Riley and her public stand shaming them.
You say the CPS had no option, they did. Sadly they are afraid of public opinion and bad publicity.
An 'actress' smashed a lampshade over her boyfriends head. (Forget her name) she was charged but he then withdrew the allegation. The CPS continued the prosecution, as they are allowed to do by law to protect victims of domestic violence. Sadly she committed suicide before a trial.
The CPS were completely correct to continue but were hounded by the media and the public. They are not going to do that again in a hurry, sadly that means victims will continue to get beaten up and raped.

Well that is your viewpoint I have to accept that.

I may have said what you accuse, but once other people educated me I retracted that.

All I was trying to say earlier tonight and perhaps I didn't do it very well, was to compare this situation to those of other disgraceful footballers from the past.

When Gazza was being Gazza, when George Best was being George Best, did they have people with mobile phones recording everything they said and did - which is what has done for this guy in the eyes and ears of most people, even though it never went to court and at the end of the day in this country we operate under the principle of innocent until proven guilty. He has not been, in a court of law.

Like I said, I am not sticking up for him, I am just highlighting how times have changed. Plus this is what I think is going to be the argument United will use to avoid dumping a very valuable player.
You are basically saying we should use the law exclusively for our moral compass

The law should be the minimum

Well this is where I’m confused.

If the CPS thought there was enough evidence to compile a case, then drop it, Why?

According to the legal experts on another thread the preference of the victim to prosecute or not is irrelevant. It’s the responsibility of the CPS?
Because his ‘defence’ was that they were just role-playing and they only have the audio to go off it would realistically be very difficult to secure a conviction without the gf supporting the prosecution.

And only speaking in hypotheticals as obviously none of us know the behind the scenes, but if she has then told the cps she intends to agree with his ‘defence’ then it ends any realistic prospect of a conviction.

You could the argue in that scenario the gf should be charged with perverting the course of justice, but again the cps would say that putting a heavily pregnant young woman in trial for trading her self worth for 18 years of child support is not in the public’s interests.

You say the CPS had no option, they did. Sadly they are afraid of public opinion and bad publicity.
An 'actress' smashed a lampshade over her boyfriends head. (Forget her name) she was charged but he then withdrew the allegation. The CPS continued the prosecution, as they are allowed to do by law to protect victims of domestic violence. Sadly she committed suicide before a trial.
The CPS were completely correct to continue but were hounded by the media and the public. They are not going to do that again in a hurry, sadly that means victims will continue to get beaten up and raped.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. They clearly should charge the odious little toe rag.

Riley has put more focus and pressure on them to make the right decision. I would be flabbergasted if he remained at the club now, which let's be honest just comes out of this whole sorry saga looking more and more small time. The amount of stick he would get at games would be unprecedented if he stays.

Riley has put more focus and pressure on them to make the right decision. I would be flabbergasted if he remained at the club now, which let's be honest just comes out of this whole sorry saga looking more and more small time. The amount of stick he would get at games would be unprecedented if he stays.

The way they keep putting the mood music out there saying the manager, players and sponsors are happy for him to come back, it’s only going one way where he will return. I don’t think Rachael Riley’s admirable stance will make an overall impression on the out come. It’s poorly judged by United where they’ve looked at the prospect of losing money and an asset over the morale principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.