US Politics Thread

Claimed back a lot of ground from where? Where’s a poll that said Biden ever had a big lead over him?

This sense that people are sitting down in their living room chairs and saying, “Gee, I don’t know which side I’m on — I really need to think this through” doesn’t make any sense in the context of American politics. Everyone has already decided. It’s ALL about TURNOUT.

I don’t understand why folks don’t understand this.

I suspect Harris doesn’t “poll well” because she’s a black woman. Internally she has a bad reputation as a lousy people-manager and disorganiz(s)ed, but she was my senator for a while and she always seemed reasonable, though I couldn’t put her on an issue or platform that she truly owned. So bottom line is I’d worry about her as Chief Executive given her reputation, but that’s a weird reason for me not to like her and wouldn’t make sense explaining why others don’t.

I think the polls showing popular vote share are also kind of a bit useless. We know that the spread of votes is what matters, and Trump stacks a hell of a lot of votes in frankly quite pointless areas where they aren't actually adding to his tally in the electoral college.

For example, if the Dems manage to flip Texas (not a crazy idea given they are only single digits % away from doing so in recent history), there is literally no route to office for Trump. Even if he gets 100% vote share in Idaho, it ain't gonna help him.

This sense that people are sitting down in their living room chairs and saying, “Gee, I don’t know which side I’m on — I really need to think this through” doesn’t make any sense in the context of American politics. Everyone has already decided. It’s ALL about TURNOUT.

But isn’t this the whole point - in 2020, people turned out in unprecedented numbers, Biden comfortably won the public vote but even with a healthy ‘anyone but Trump’ following, it..

In Georgia he won by 12k votes, Pennsylvania by 80k, Arizona 11k, Wisconsin 20k..

With Trumps litany of legal issues, it shouldn’t require Dems to turn out in force to ensure he doesn’t win re-election, but it seems likely that again the biggest task will be getting those who voted for Biden last time out to vote again.

But isn’t this the whole point - in 2020, people turned out in unprecedented numbers, Biden comfortably won the public vote but even with a healthy ‘anyone but Trump’ following, it..

In Georgia he won by 12k votes, Pennsylvania by 80k, Arizona 11k, Wisconsin 20k..

With Trumps litany of legal issues, it shouldn’t require Dems to turn out in force to ensure he doesn’t win re-election, but it seems likely that again the biggest task will be getting those who voted for Biden last time out to vote again.
Yes. It is the whole point. Especially in those swing states. And it’s why Democrats are going to spend every dime on trying in ensure it happens.

"We don't have forest fires in Austria."

They do. Bigly.

You reckon?

A poll last week had Trump as favourite. I know it’s only one poll and we’re a while off but still, he’s claimed back a ton of ground.

And Biden really does come across as very frail and discombobulated. He looks his age.

Biden’s record in office is actually exceptional but I really worry about his ability when it comes to campaigning and the optics.

What’s the reason everyone hates Harris btw? I assume by your username you’re in the US? She comes across quite well from what I’ve seen and in 2020 I assumed she was Biden’s running mate with a view to being the main candidate in 24.
Biden sounds frail but usually makes sense.

Trump sounds robust but talks absolute rubbish.

America is fucked.
Discuss.

I don’t think it’s fucked, but it will never again be the sole dominant world superpower, both economically and politically, like it was in the 1990s after the breakup of the USSR.

They are currently going through a fairly brutal adjustment period as that sinks in.

A lot of the racist MAGA stuff is a result of losing that dominant economic position to China. A lot of the 2A, sovereign citizen stuff is because of fallout from 9/11 and the gulf wars turning into a small scale Vietnam re-run.

This 25 years will probably be looked back on like the late 60s/early 70s as a period of unrest while confrontations happened after decades of being left unaddressed while tensions built up.

Claimed back a lot of ground from where? Where’s a poll that said Biden ever had a big lead over him?

I suspect Harris doesn’t “poll well” because she’s a black woman. Internally she has a bad reputation as a lousy people-manager and disorganiz(s)ed, but she was my senator for a while and she always seemed reasonable, though I couldn’t put her on an issue or platform that she truly owned. So bottom line is I’d worry about her as Chief Executive given her reputation, but that’s a weird reason for me not to like her and wouldn’t make sense explaining why others don’t.
Ok - your reply sounds a bit hostile tbh, I was asking an honest open question to someone closer to US politics than me.

Thanks — naturally it’s raining today! It’s high desert so not much rain usually, right on the leeward (east) side of the Cascade Range. It’s a vacation home for another year but then when the youngest goes to college next year, we start doing 50/50 between SF and here and then maybe full time up here when I retire. Sadly no City supporters group in Bend . . . YET!

Bend is a great town — more parks, restaurants pubs, and dogs than any town it’s size (100k) per capita in America!
I'll be honest, it's not somewhere I've heard of but I'll have a look.
But it does sound idyllic.

Despite some of the 'crazy stuff' we see about the US over here in the media, it's an absolutely fascinating country.
My few visits are amongst my best memories.
My eldest daughter went earlier this year to Atlanta and New Orleans (and is off again in October).
Would love to take her younger sister and brother over next year.

Your plan sound great mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.