US Politics Thread

I should add, by any objective measure, the cunts who thought it was fine, were cunts.
Or they supported slavery because it was economically expedient compared to the unknown of having, you know, actual labo(u)r costs. Which I suppose makes them cunts, but a different kind of ****. Effectively the same argument my friend is making about why he’d vote for Trump over Biden.

Or they supported slavery because it was economically expedient compared to the unknown of having, you know, actual labo(u)r costs. Which I suppose makes them cunts, but a different kind of ****. Effectively the same argument my friend is making about why he’d vote for Trump over Biden.
There are certain things that can never be objectively fine. Owning other people is surely one of those things.

There are certain things that can never be objectively fine. Owning other people is surely one of those things.
I concur entirely. But what moral foundations one chooses to attach oneself to are often a function of expediency, or to retaining power/fear of losing it. Just trying to offer up what their rationaliz(s)ations might have been. How did they sell such a stance to themselves morally? Money. Power.

Why would one presume that?

To your point, though, as a child of Sikh immigrants, with a father who taught at an historically all-black college, you'd figure she'd be a bit more in tune with her ethnicity and that of others, and/or her gender.

But grifting conservative opportunists courting the votes of dumbfuck white hicks tend to want to cover that shit up . . .

The reason the GOP re-write history is that cults simply believe lies told by their leaders. Fact-checking has no impact on them. Fact-checking is "just politics".

On another note, I am still trying to get over the depression of an extremely smart friend of mine who when faced with Trump and Biden will vote for Trump "because of his policies" despite the fact that this guy is so prim and proper that he is the golf rules guru at his country club and in all other respects as moral a man as I know.
Did he tell you what policies specifically, out of interest?

It was so obviously about slavery they had a joke about it on the Simpsons when Apu takes his US citizenship test.
I do recall (although it’s been many years) Clark Gable as Rhett Butler saying (inter alia) in Gone with the Wind that the Civil War wasn’t about slavery, but about the South’s right to self determination.

As in its right to determine whether it could enslave people.

Did he tell you what policies specifically, out of interest?
No. Tax cuts for him I presume (he’s quite well off). He’s absolutely convinced there’s something to the Hunter Biden laptop story. He hates Biden, hates Newsom, hates H Clinton. It just sounds like he cannot bring himself to vote for a Democrat — any Democrat. And it’s not like he doesn’t get who and what Trump is. He simply doesn’t believe Trump is an existential threat and as long as he isn’t, in his mind, Biden or effectively any Democrat is worse than Trump or any Republican. In all other respects he’s a pragmatist, but what’s especially strange is he will literally unfriend liars and cheaters — he becomes almost imperiously indignant about their behavio(u)r when it impacts him. This is a very good friend and neighbo(u)r which is what makes me so sad.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.