US Politics Thread

You’d have to offer very very good odds for me to bet that the stock market isn’t higher with interest rates lower come November.
That said:
1) The Biden administration has inept linking positive outcomes (whether warranted or not) to their policies;
2) The old saw - "it's the economy stupid" - may, for once, not hold during the 2024 election;
3) A Trump felony conviction - in any one of the 4 felony criminal cases he now faces - prior to the 2024 election, may be the deciding factor between a Trump presidency or 4 more years.

Last edited:
Presuming it's a rematch of the 2020 election, it's going to be fascinating to see what happens come the presidential debates. There were only two last time, one infamously canceled, and the vice-presidential offering, too. Given their evident mental frailties, I'd be genuinely surprised if either campaign is actually willing to pitch their main candidate into a scenario where they are vigorously cross-questioned.

Presuming it's a rematch of the 2020 election, it's going to be fascinating to see what happens come the presidential debates. There were only two last time, one infamously canceled, and the vice-presidential offering, too. Given their evident mental frailties, I'd be genuinely surprised if either campaign is actually willing to pitch their main candidate into a scenario where they are vigorously cross-questioned.
Dude... debates probably won't happen and even if they do, it's not going to be the decisive factor.

The decisive factor is whether or not Trump is convicted of a felony offense prior to the election. That's it.

Dude... debates probably won't happen and even if they do, it's not going to be the decisive factor.

The decisive factor is whether or not Trump is convicted of a felony offense prior to the election. That's it.
Doodle... the debates very much ought to happen, and if they do not, then I'd suggest that it is because neither campaign is comfortable with their candidate being publicly interrogated, which should make any voter pause for thought. Even if Trump is convicted beforehand, any appeal is unlikely to be heard and processed before November 5th, so that factor could be both undecided and indecisive. Just my two cents.

Doodle... the debates very much ought to happen, and if they do not, then I'd suggest that it is because neither campaign is comfortable with their candidate being publicly interrogated, which should make any voter pause for thought. Even if Trump is convicted beforehand, any appeal is unlikely to be heard and processed before November 5th, so that factor could be both undecided and indecisive. Just my two cents.
If the debates occur (it will only occur if Trump, for whatever reason gives the go-ahead), they are likely to influence no one at all).

Why do you think that the debates should occur in this age of social media? What new insights do you think will be gleaned because of the debates?

No... debates are irrelevant.

It's down to whether or not Trump is convicted of a felony criminal charge prior to the election.

If the debates occur (it will only occur if Trump, for whatever reason gives the go-ahead, are likely to influence no one at all).

Why do you think that the debates should occur in this age of social media? What new insights do you think will be gleaned because of the debates.

No... debates are irrelevant.

It's down to whether or not Trump is convicted of a felony criminal charge prior to the election.
If that were true and the debates were irrelevant because of social media, then they would surely not have been held in the last three elections at all. Even above you concede that they may have influence. I would proffer that in an election where the two candidates look as if they will receive their party nominations without rigorous internal campaigning and without rigorous public scrutiny, that the presidential debates are arguably more important than ever. They would be the only opportunity to pitch the candidates against each other and, more importantly, to cross-question them. I would imagine that both campaigns might even seek to use your social media argument to shield their candidates from scrutiny, but the public deserves better.

As I said earlier, a conviction will indeed be damaging but perhaps only if the appeal has been heard before as well.

If that were true and the debates were irrelevant because of social media, then they would surely not have been held in the last three elections at all. Even above you concede that they may have influence. I would proffer that in an election where the two candidates look as if they will receive their party nominations without rigorous internal campaigning and without rigorous public scrutiny, that the presidential debates are arguably more important than ever. They would be the only opportunity to pitch the candidates against each other and, more importantly, to cross-question them. I would imagine that both campaigns might even seek to use your social media argument to shield their candidates from scrutiny, but the public deserves better.

As I said earlier, a conviction will indeed be damaging but perhaps only if the appeal has been heard before as well.
Debates are irrelevant because if Trump is convicted of a felony, Biden would be stupid to debate. Game over.

If Trump isn't convicted of a felony, Trump would be stupid to debate. Almost certainly, game over.

It's down to whether or not Trump is convicted of a felony. My prediction is that no Presidential debates will occur in 2024.

Debates are irrelevant because if Trump is convicted of a felony, Biden would be stupid to debate. Game over.

If Trump isn't convicted of a felony, Trump would be stupid to debate. Almost certainly, game over.

It's down to whether or not Trump is convicted of a felony. My prediction is that no Presidential debates will occur in 2024.

I doubt anyone trusts Trump to adhere to agreed rules, and that's another reason why they won't happen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.