US Politics Thread

If Trump wins, I'll just remind people of that old saying "the people get the government they deserve". If they vote him in, they deserve him.

And yes; I'm aware that you can win an election with a minority of the vote. Labour did precisely that earlier in the summer. 34% of the vote won them 63% of the seats. A landslide, with 1/3 of the vote. The same could theoretically happen in America in november, I suppose.
Not quite the same system, but I guess a similar principle applies.

In 2020, a high turnout year, 66.8% of eligible voters voted, so call that 2/3.

Of the 155.5M votes cast, Biden received 51.3%, while Trump received 46.8%.

Without doing any serious math we can say that Biden, while securing the highest number of votes by any President ever, got “only” a hair over 1/3 and Trump, who got the most votes of any Republican or loser (redundant, I know!) a hair under 1/3 of the eligible votes!

Not quite the same system, but I guess a similar principle applies.

In 2020, a high turnout year, 66.8% of eligible voters voted, so call that 2/3.

Of the 155.5M votes cast, Biden received 51.3%, while Trump received 46.8%.

Without doing any serious math we can say that Biden, while securing the highest number of votes by any President ever, got “only” a hair over 1/3 and Trump, who got the most votes of any Republican or loser (redundant, I know!) a hair under 1/3 of the eligible votes!
So in a 2 horse race, who got the other 1.9% vote and who got the other 1/3rd?

It is horrendous that so many traditional Republican politicians put their careers ahead of the country. They should read what J. Michael Luttig, an arch Republican says: I am voting for Harris. Trump is a danger to democracy, the constitution and the rule of law.
It's not really that complicated, is it?

It becomes more complicated when a) you're an elected Republican who wants to keep his/her job and you're afraid of being tossed out if you don't kowtow to Trump, or 2) you're an ambitious and morally-craven unelected Republican who craves power and influence in an administration that sucking Trump's dick might provide you.

Neither group puts America first.

That’s a deep rooted problem. You should probably get therapy for that?
I've tried; you'd be amazed at how many psychotherapists here don't know dick about football!

If I had a dollar for every time I've been asked, "Now . . .you support Manchester United, right?" I'd be as rich as Ric. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.