Var debate 2019/20

I think he means that at this exact moment the ball is still travelling towards Bernardo, the next frame would be interesting as Sergio is moving back into an onside position.

Basically this is about as marginal as it gets, Sergio could well be on side at the moment of contact with Bernardo, that was my instinct at the time.

It's an opinion certainly. No way to say if it's wrong for certain, but I don't agree.

I don't think that anything would have changed in the fraction of a second before the ball touches Bernardo.

Why do I need a clue?. Its a very simple process that should be able to conclude a decision in seconds, not minutes. I suppose its the VARs panel 15 min of fame moment so they milk it

So why are there 500 posts of people quoting the rules and still disagreeing if it’s so simple. None of this is simple, they need to simplify the handball rule that might be better but they’ve made it so complicated that you can’t figure it out quickly even if you’re a ref I think

Is this how it works? In my septugenarian naivete I thought that UEFA had their own system, independent of any commercial interest?
They take their footage from the host broadcaster. The problem is that once VAR is enacted nobody knows what happens next. I’d have assumed that the VAR ref would show the footage that backed up his reasoning for going to VAR but, apparently not.

Yeh I read that and thought we'd be done over too. But nowhere in any official documents are these UEFA instructions. So are these instructions from Rosseti to the UEFA officials but not written down as any law?

I don't think they have to be written down in law. It can just be a directive, such as the directive from UEFA from January this year that penalties should be awarded for handball in the box for incidents such as ours last week v Spurs, United's v PSG, and Schalke v us a couple of months ago

Is it VAR or just us fans aren't told the rules
If it hits a defenders arm pen
If it hits a strikers arm goal.

They can 'see' Agureo was off side but can't see it hit the spurs players arm ....who decides what view/angle to show the ref ????

Son was offside by an arm for their goal at their place.

Apparently arms can't score goals which is why it wasn't offside..............................

I think I’m done with football after this season. Not sure if I’m just feeling bitter about last night, but for me something about my love for football died last night with VAR. it genuinely felt like aguero moment part 2 with me going mental for about 3 minutes and then it being ruled out. The spontaneity will go with VAR and it’ll take away one of the main reasons I love football over sports like cricket
That’s the one thing for me, I’m not bothered about whether it was handball or whether it was offside...

I’m just bothered about the natural elation of it being a goal when the ball hits the net. That’s the one thing that makes football special. Rugby is a good game but running into a huge end zone and putting the ball down doesn’t have the same feeling that seeing the ball hit the net in football. I’ve been wishing for VAR for years but never experienced it to realise that what makes footy special is in danger of being taken away.

Having to hold back celebrating goals isn’t right. There’s no better feeling than a goal going into the net. That’s where the stresses of life are forgotten about, in that very moment.

Can someone explain to me (as US coverage was shit and didnt show it) who gave the offside. The one replay US TV showed (about 15 mins after the game) the linesman had his flag down the enture time Aguero had the ball. So how did the ref know? The bloke in var replayed it immediately? And told the ref?
The game had restarted and I still thought we were winning 5-3 as i was going mad in the pub!

All goals are reviewed, I think. The ref can invoke on certain things, but offside can be invoked from the VAR people. I assume this is what happened.

Linesmen are told to keep flag down when it’s close so that VAR can deal with it Makes sense as he could flag play is stopped but he’s wrong. So what is the purpose of linemen’s now, one may ask?

Linesmen are told to keep flag down when it’s close so that VAR can deal with it Makes sense as he could flag play is stopped but he’s wrong. So what is the purpose of linemen’s now, one may ask?

A good question. They do tell when the ball is out of play at the side!
They can see obvious offsides, I guess.
Occasionally they've been known to give fouls, but some don't even seem to do that.

A good question. They do tell when the ball is out of play at the side!
They can see obvious offsides, I guess.
Occasionally they've been known to give fouls, but some don't even seem to do that.
Most wait for the ref to decide a throw in as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.