Var debate 2019/20

I was all for var because I thought that the obvious errors by refs would be shown up and rectified.

I now realise that its use and outcome depends on the decision to use it in the first place. Not saying all var staff are biased merely that they can choose or otherwise to apply it.

Some teams may get away with obvious things whereas other teams may have every goal they score scrutinised for minor incidents that can allow the goal to be disallowed.

Yeh I read that and thought we'd be done over too. But nowhere in any official documents are these UEFA instructions. So are these instructions from Rosseti to the UEFA officials but not written down as any law?
That’s what they said a few weeks ago on BT Sport discussing the PSG handball Warton I’m sure agreed that the interpretation in ECL was if the body is made bigger and the ball hots the hand/arm the it was a handball

That’s the one thing for me, I’m not bothered about whether it was handball or whether it was offside...

I’m just bothered about the natural elation of it being a goal when the ball hits the net. That’s the one thing that makes football special. Rugby is a good game but running into a huge end zone and putting the ball down doesn’t have the same feeling that seeing the ball hit the net in football. I’ve been wishing for VAR for years but never experienced it to realise that what makes footy special is in danger of being taken away.

Having to hold back celebrating goals isn’t right. There’s no better feeling than a goal going into the net. That’s where the stresses of life are forgotten about, in that very moment.

This is the key point for me. I said on post match thread:

In theory VAR should favour us in the long run but last night that Sterling goal getting chalked off was simply one of my worst moments in nearly 50 years of being a season ticket holder - not that I actually used my seat last night (had to give it away due to being at work 200 miles from MCR) - I celebrated like a maniac and I'm one of those guys that often checks the liner has not flagged before getting carried away. A horrible fucking experience - cruel and unusual punishment.

So why are there 500 posts of people quoting the rules and still disagreeing if it’s so simple. None of this is simple, they need to simplify the handball rule that might be better but they’ve made it so complicated that you can’t figure it out quickly even if you’re a ref I think

I wasn't discussing the handball rule

My point is that Rugby have a transparent VAR system that enables everyone to see and listen what has been challenged and a decision is reached a lot quicker than in football. There is a current and proven VAR model that works - I wonder why football doesn't embrace that rather than to try and reinvent the wheel (no need to answer that, I think we all know why)

This is the key point for me. I said on post match thread:

In theory VAR should favour us in the long run but last night that Sterling goal getting chalked off was simply one of my worst moments in nearly 50 years of being a season ticket holder - not that I actually used my seat last night (had to give it away due to being at work 200 miles from MCR) - I celebrated like a maniac and I'm one of those guys that often checks the liner has not flagged before getting carried away. A horrible fucking experience - cruel and unusual punishment.

For me the only worse moment in my history of being a city fan was Michael owens goal for the rags when I was the only city fan in a pub full of united fans

The issue I have on the handball decision is that I am not convinced that the ref disallowed it because he deemed that it was not deliberate: he looks to have decided that it did not hit his arm.

Whether the spirit of the law intended to allow someone to jump into the ball elbow first and score is another matter and may be why the law is getting rewritten. Although, I have no confidence in the lawmakers to get it right. IMO, and this is not a new opinion, a penalty should only be awarded for "deliberate" handball (although that needs defining more clearly and carefully) and a goal should never be allowed if handball is involved.

I also think the offside rule is wrong as it stands and I truly detest the away goals rule.

The away goals rule is going, I think. And as for confidence in the lawmakers, I, too, have none. And any confidence that the convoluted laws with the addition of VAR allows refs to see exactly what went on and deliver a decision that reflects exactly what has gone on, has diminished and now resides as a negative quantity.

They have the feed from all cameras surely. When they show the VAR studio they have multiple monitors with a technician on hand
So, the obvious question is, if there is an angle, presumably from the ‘host broadcaster’ why did the referee not get to see it?

If it was some camera phone shot from the crowd, shown 3 weeks later, fair enough but that was available in real time last night but wasn’t shown. Now, he might have seen it from that angle and still not changed his mind, but to not be shown it does look more than a bit odd.

That’s what they said a few weeks ago on BT Sport discussing the PSG handball Warton I’m sure agreed that the interpretation in ECL was if the body is made bigger and the ball hots the hand/arm the it was a handball

Yep. As much as I thought Walton was a bent fucker when he reffed our games he re-iterated this point last week when we got the VAR penalty against Spurs and that is that it was the correct decision to award it based on the UEFA directive from a few months ago

So, the obvious question is, if there is an angle, presumably from the ‘host broadcaster’ why did the referee not get to see it?

If it was some camera phone shot from the crowd, shown 3 weeks later, fair enough but that was available in real time last night but wasn’t shown. Now, he might have seen it from that angle and still not changed his mind, but to not be shown it does look more than a bit odd.
Can only assume it’s the VAR who decides what to show pitch ref

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.