Var debate 2019/20

It's completely different from Laporte vs Spurs. That was an attacking play and the handball law says that a side gaining possession off an arm means it will be ruled out (Elleray of IFAB has confirmed this interpretation to someone on BlueMoon).

Alli's is a defensive one, and a different standard is applied. The 'under pressure' line is very strange though, as this isn't a standard and isn't anywhere under the laws as far as I know, and almost certainly can't be reffed consistently. His arm was above his head for no good reason, and I think it should have been given. The explanation looks like flannel to muddy things more.

The Silva/Bournemouth incident was in the period when they were overturning nothing - the last two weeks seem to be under a different approach.

Which is ludicrous, as you can still gain possession in your own box with a defensive one and score off it, then they bring it back for a penalty, but if you miss it is a goal kick.

Therefore you get punished for scoring.

Which is ludicrous, as you can still gain possession in your own box with a defensive one and score off it, then they bring it back for a penalty, but if you miss it is a goal kick.

Therefore you get punished for scoring.

I may have misinterpreted, but I don't think that's true. The two incidents are separate things.

If a defensive handball is enough to be a penalty, it would (should) be brought back whatever the result of the play is. VAR would (should) be reviewing off the defensive handball, not the outcome.

I thought VAR got it right for Alli as the player was physically not in control given the challenge by Mina, but why it took Taylor 2 mins plus to work that out I don't know. SHould have been obviously immediately.

Happy to see VAR in crisis so soon. It was obvious from almost day 1 that it was failing. It just does not operate quickly enough or give the VAR clear enough evidence, and no fixes are going to work.

I thought VAR got it right for Alli as the player was physically not in control given the challenge by Mina, but why it took Taylor 2 mins plus to work that out I don't know. SHould have been obviously immediately.

Happy to see VAR in crisis so soon. It was obvious from almost day 1 that it was failing. It just does not operate quickly enough or give the VAR clear enough evidence, and no fixes are going to work.
I would suggest the (fixes) are working just fine.

VAR is fine as a system. It's the idiots operating the system that are the problem. No consistency, no transparency and no idea. They also appear to have changed the way it is working which means different games have been played under different laws i.e. we surely would have been given at least three penalties in the league this season. And what has happened to the fact they said the ref on the field makes the ultimate decision as this has been quite obviously a lie since day one. It's a corrupt system helping certain teams and people line their pockets, of that I have no doubt.

Interesting but open to manipulation.

Even if the ref gives a blatantly wrong decision, VAR could just drag out the decision to over a minute so that the original incorrect decision stands.
That’s true but the crowd reaction would be a great indicator when that situation arises.

Having open communication and the images on the big screen would show exactly what single ‘incident’ (e.g. a push by Laporte) VAR is reviewing, so it would stop the what I would class “looking for absolutely any excuse not to award City a goal” scenarios we see dragging on for 3-4 minutes until they find a possible handball from the 85th different angle.

Most fans would accept the odd mistake as long as the process is openly communicated and transparent, if something is seen by TV pundits from the 5 minutes later on the 85th different angle then so be it. As long as we know the reasons why the decision is made it’ll allow fans to accept it.

they said the ref on the field makes the ultimate decision as this has been quite obviously a lie since day one.
Absolutely correct mate. The referee on the pitch can never be in complete control as the Video ASSISTANT Referee (as opposed to the video referee as called by Richard Keys and Andy Gray on BeIN Sports) can simply overturn whatever incident he wishes whenever he wishes.

By their own rules it's a pen if the defending players arm are away from his body,nothing about the reason why their arms/hand is there,this making up/breaking/changing their own rules is unfair to every team because identical situations are being var'd differently,all this could be mostly sorted by the refs looking at the monitor and being given a couple of views at least,unlike the llorente handball when they didn't show him the one angle that showed the handball

There is too much at stake in the game to have this workable system being run by the very refs it was brought in to correct because they were making too many mistakes!

Who knows if we hadn't been kicked in the balls early doors with strict var as it was that we wouldn't have been in our grove and not lost the 2 games we have

I see the var decision to upgrade Sons yellow to red has now been overturned by the FA. Proof positive that the standards of refereeing are appalling.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.