Var debate 2019/20

Even if the video assistance is used. It's all 2nd spur of the moment stuff, and they are going to make mistakes. For me a video panel should only intervene if it's clear and obvious error. I am thinking of how it should be in future, not how it is now where all goals are I believe reviewed. I do not know all the VAR insights and rules.

I hope City fans are not going to go down any conspiracy route. We lost out on the night in the most marginal of circumstances and it feels draining and very disappointing but we still have a lot to fight for and the right thing feels like focusing 100% on the next game.
If you're going to tell people to not view this as a conspiracy, at least explain to them what you think happened, why a vague view of the incident was persisted upon and why the best angle was ignored.

If they can penalise Otamendi in Gelsenkirchen then they should penalise Llorente in Manchester. Two players who didn't deliberately deflect the ball with their arm. What's the difference?

There is a very obvious difference. Llorente doesn’t play for City!!

You keep banging on to this effect, and say football opinion is against us.

I have moved on, (and am already looking forward to tomorrows challenge) , but moving on, not least of all because nothing is going to change, does not make it right.
As i have posted earlier, i don't really like Rossiter's directive, that was issued in January, prior to the knockout stages, that made it clear (a directive!!) that changes due to be implemented from June 1st, aided by VAR, were to be introduced immediately for the Champions League, nobody, neither you, nor me, have to like those changes, but if the powers that be decree they are in force, those should be the rules that are played to.
So, the very directive that resulted in penalties at Schalke, PSG, and the first leg at Spurs, is the same directive, that should have ruled out Llorente's goal. I'm sorry, that's not an opinion, its a fact. Incidentally if they are going to use VAR to improve /get things right, the penalty at Spurs should categorically have been re-taken, as Vertonghen encroached (NOT marginally), and ultimately he cleared it.

With regards to the Aguero offside, i've no idea if he was or wasn't offside, at the crucial moment, (when it left Bernardo's right leg), so far they have failed to show the correct freeze frame, merely an earlier moment before the ball touched Bernardo, and Aguero was moving back towards being onside. Somehow they managed to show Mane with the brightly coloured lines to demonstrate he was onside in the other semi, and that was broadcast at half time.Where is the picture with the lines on, that the VAR official ruled on?

Nothing will change the outcome, my issue is not with using VAR, but with using it correctly, and following their own directive's!!

That's an excellent summing up of just why Llorente's goal should have been disallowed. What is particularly annoying is that the Ref does not appear to have been given the assistance by VAR to actually see that there was a handball. So in a very tight tie, ultimately decided by the horrible away goals rule, the use of VAR has not led to a crucial decision being made correctly.

I'm not a VAR fan but if it is going to be used it has to be used in a far better way than it was in our last game; including changing how potentially offside goals are handled because at present it is an absolute disgrace: what happened on Wednesday after Sterling scored was thoroughly offensive in my view. I'm far more angry about that than the fact that we actually went out (i.e. it's the manner of how it was taken away from us...).

Last edited:
The worrying issue with VAR if what i read the other day by another Blue posting on here, is if it is the TV station that provides the camera angle to the officials. If this is true it needs to be stopped immediately, it leaves the whole situation in the hands of a non-football entity dictating who they want to favour.
=====
Craig Burley and Shaka Hislop confirmed on ESPN that the var officials use camera angles provided by the ‘Host’ broadcaster.

Therefore wide open to external pressures, advertising revenue and commercial considerations.

Therefore wide open to external pressures, advertising revenue and commercial considerations.
And would explain why Lineker and co took the piss out of Wio who unbelievably was making a valid point about the handball , I bet Lineker had the producer in his ear telling him to shut Wio up and get off the subject quick .

And would explain why Lineker and co took the piss out of Wio who unbelievably was making a valid point about the handball , I bet Lineker had the producer in his ear telling him to shut Wio up and get off the subject quick .

Have to admit that this really messed me up, Obviously wanted the goal to be disallowed but after realising that this meant agreeing with wobble gob i was in a real quandry.

Have to admit that this really messed me up, Obviously wanted the goal to be disallowed but after realising that this meant agreeing with wobble gob i was in a real quandry.
It’s an existential dilemma, to be sure.

Silencing dissent to placate the majority of their viewers. Christ, we really are up against it with regards to the toxic narrative constantly peddled by the media.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.