Var debate 2019/20

VAR is the biggest passion killer since Anna Karen's nightie. It takes the edge off every goal celebration if you're a match going fan
There are actually many on twitter arguing that’s not true as there is no evidence of it in Bundesliga and the MLS, where it’s already being used.

But that is not true, they just don’t know any German or American fans to ask. I know many of both, and have watched games in both leagues (Frankfurt, Wolfsburg, and several different MLS clubs, including Portland and Vancouver, which is as close to our support as it gets in the US), and it absolutely has impacted the experience and there are many fans not happy about it. And that’s coming from Germans and Americans who both normally love these sorts of video review systems (though, for different reasons). Only the fans that like other sport that have had video review, and have become accustomed to the long breaks of play, strange decision making, and anti-climatic outcomes are really fine with it.

VAR isn't the joke.

The joke is how it's used. I give UEFA credit I think they use it correctly. I have no faith in PiGMOL doing the same as they wont want the 'product' damaged by the rags and dippers fighting for 10th.

I don’t care if an error has been made. Humans make errors even when shown evidence. If errors have been made and City have lost a game, or in this case gone out of the CL, I’m not that bothered. I was gutted on the night but I’m already over it and already well up for the next game.

I care more about the #1 thing football is about - fans celebrating goals!

Nothing... not sex, not a win at the bookies, not your girlfriend saying “yes” when you’ve popped the question down on one knee, not even the birth of your kids... nothing makes you celebrate like a goal being scored in football. Nothing! Nothing else gives you pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon. It’s better than an orgasm, it’s better than when you ‘come up’ on drugs. Imagine standing at the front of the church celebrating your missus saying “I do” like you would a big goal in football - she’d call the wedding off and have you carted off to the loonie bin.

But you go that wild at the footy!

The celebration of goals in football is why football is the top sport in the world.

The introduction of VAR is taking that away.

After that winner the other night, I went as mad as I ever have apart from two other occasions (Agüeroooo! And Dickov), and knowing what the feeling of disappointment was when the VAR decision came up on the screen... I will never celebrate another goal in football properly ever again.

It’s gone!

The one thing that made football the best sport, the one thing that was a better feeling than anything else in life, has gone!

They can call goals offside, onside, right or wrong, I don’t care about that. I care about losing the pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon.

I was all for the introduction of VAR (and I still think it should be used for looking at possible red card challenges and possible penalties), but it’s going to ruin the greatest thing in the world, and I want VAR for goals to be scrapped.

I’d rather have corruption going on against us than lose being able to celebrate a goal properly!
Couldn’t have put it better .

Ballinio is right.
I can never celebrate again like I did when Razza scored and it was disallowed. We will always have to wait now until they have decided there was no infringement or disadvantage to the defending team. Just how far back they’ll go will be anyone’s guess.
I fear that this is the downfall of football. Goal line technology is without doubt brilliant, but VAR will be the death of it.
Totally open to interpretation of the individuals watching/providing the tv evidence.
Sad, but that’s the fact. I don’t think it will ever be faultless unless it’s taken out of the hands of those that can influence the decision.

You dont get it. If Llorente was defending his goal, issues like did he do it deiberately, is his arm close to his body, etc would be legit matters to be factored in. But Llorente was attacking. As an attacking player you are not allowed to have your goal assisted by your handling of the ball whether deliberate or not. Also are you satisfied that the ref/VAR panel insisted of viewing from an unclear angle repeatedly?
Hard to call it deliberate as ball even changed a bit of direction on Kompany's shoulder.

No way it would have been a penalty if its a pen or no pen situation. PL refs even dont give the ones usually what we got with Rose or lost with Otamendi.

His hand was close to the body.

Question is what is Kompany and Laporte doing exactly that the ball can arrive for their tall striker between them? Pep should asked them because I have no idea how can we defend like that at a corner.

Laporte is behind him not even jumping he should have covered the goal side of him at least. Kompany maybe jumped with Alderweireld but missed the ball.

I don’t care if an error has been made. Humans make errors even when shown evidence. If errors have been made and City have lost a game, or in this case gone out of the CL, I’m not that bothered. I was gutted on the night but I’m already over it and already well up for the next game.

Nothing... not sex, not a win at the bookies, not your girlfriend saying “yes” when you’ve popped the question down on one knee, not even the birth of your kids... nothing makes you celebrate like a goal being scored in football. Nothing! Nothing else gives you pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon. It’s better than an orgasm, it’s better than when you ‘come up’ on drugs. Imagine standing at the front of the church celebrating your missus saying “I do” like you would a big goal in football - she’d call the wedding off and have you carted off to the loonie bin.

The celebration of goals in football is why football is the top sport in the world.

After that winner the other night, I went as mad as I ever have apart from two other occasions (Agüeroooo! And Dickov), and knowing what the feeling of disappointment was when the VAR decision came up on the screen... I will never celebrate another goal in football properly ever again.

It’s gone!

The one thing that made football the best sport, the one thing that was a better feeling than anything else in life, has gone!

They can call goals offside, onside, right or wrong, I don’t care about that. I care about losing the pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon.

I was all for the introduction of VAR (and I still think it should be used for looking at possible red card challenges and possible penalties), but it’s going to ruin the greatest thing in the world, and I want VAR for goals to be scrapped.

I’d rather have corruption going on against us than lose being able to celebrate a goal properly!
Nail on the f**king head that man!
This has been my biggest problem since Wednesday. I'm absolutely gutted but we move on. But for the past couple of days I have been worried about football being dead.
I was actually all for VAR, mainly because I hoped it would put a stop to the ridiculous amount of diving in the game nowadays, but I am now against it.
After Sterling's goal, I instantly looked across to the linesman to make sure it wasn't offside before I got carried away. I always do the same when there's any possibility of offside. But to call it back a minute later and then take it away was ridiculous. But more worrying, will we ever be able to celebrate in that fashion again? Is it a goal, is it not? Is it offside, will the ref look at VAR? Should we celebrate, or should we wait to make sure?

Check it for penalties, for diving etc. by all means. But if the linesman is happy that it is onside, let it be. Do not ruin the game we all love.

Does the referee get to view all the angles? If someone is manipulating which angles he sees that's really suspicious. I don't believe that is the case.

I believe they make best efforts to come to the right decision but it's a borderline process.

We can not be interrupting the game if we still have raging debates 24 hours later whether they got it right or not.
Failing to scrutinize wrong, dodgy and suspicious acts but just believing it was well intentioned without any shred of evidence is the very definition of naivety, my dear friend.

It’s gone!

That's a brilliant post.

Let's face it, football authorities generally are some of the most appallingly run organisations so examples of rank stupidity are not unexpected but how anyone could not foresee the dramatic and dreadful effect that VAR could have on the experience of supporters is almost beyond me. The nightmare scenario that I feared VAR could bring has come to pass all too quickly. I'm absolutely furious about this; and, for context, I view football as a pastime, a leisure activity - it's a very important part of my life but there are far more important things in life - however this VAR thing threatens to ruin the match going experience.

Hard to call it deliberate as ball even changed a bit of direction on Kompany's shoulder.

No way it would have been a penalty if its a pen or no pen situation. PL refs even dont give the ones usually what we got with Rose or lost with Otamendi.

His hand was close to the body.

Question is what is Kompany and Laporte doing exactly that the ball can arrive for their tall striker between them? Pep should asked them because I have no idea how can we defend like that at a corner.

Laporte is behind him not even jumping he should have covered the goal side of him at least. Kompany maybe jumped with Alderweireld but missed the ball.

FFS. The laws of the game have never intended that you can score a goal with the aid of your hand or arms; unfortunately, the current law is not well worded. But, if you want to talk about deliberate, either Llorente jumps side on into the ball, that is not accidental, or he misses his header and has the good fortune that the ball hits his arm and finds it way into the net. Does anyone interpreting the laws of the game actually think they mean you can accidentally use your arm to help you score a goal when you jump at it? There's a reason the law is being rewritten again, because people seem to fail to understand its purpose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.