Var debate 2019/20

I think it's really bad and sad that people can not just accept that we got beat.

The world is divided. Conspiracies exist. People are oppressed and exploited but football is our escape. I do not accept that the game is that warped to the point that Manchester City are being cheated at every available opportunity.

The conspiracy angle is untenable and very poor sporting behaviour below the standards I would expect from City fans. Spurs beat us fair and square. Accept it and move on.

I'm perhaps misrepresenting your opinion here SilverFox. i normally agree with most things you say, I am just reacting to a theme I am seeing from City fans of being cheated. We weren't cheated. Decisions may have been made incorrectly but I believe for the most part the game is clean and honest.
I am old school I'm afraid so a shrug of the shoulders and on to the next game however I am interested in technology so my post reflects the potential use of individual frames to prove fast moving events.
The idea that var would be perfect to backup or question decisions is not always true in close decisions was my point.
We need original slo mo frames for that to happen.

I don’t care if an error has been made. Humans make errors even when shown evidence. If errors have been made and City have lost a game, or in this case gone out of the CL, I’m not that bothered. I was gutted on the night but I’m already over it and already well up for the next game.

I care more about the #1 thing football is about - fans celebrating goals!

Nothing... not sex, not a win at the bookies, not your girlfriend saying “yes” when you’ve popped the question down on one knee, not even the birth of your kids... nothing makes you celebrate like a goal being scored in football. Nothing! Nothing else gives you pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon. It’s better than an orgasm, it’s better than when you ‘come up’ on drugs. Imagine standing at the front of the church celebrating your missus saying “I do” like you would a big goal in football - she’d call the wedding off and have you carted off to the loonie bin.

But you go that wild at the footy!

The celebration of goals in football is why football is the top sport in the world.

The introduction of VAR is taking that away.

After that winner the other night, I went as mad as I ever have apart from two other occasions (Agüeroooo! And Dickov), and knowing what the feeling of disappointment was when the VAR decision came up on the screen... I will never celebrate another goal in football properly ever again.

It’s gone!

The one thing that made football the best sport, the one thing that was a better feeling than anything else in life, has gone!

They can call goals offside, onside, right or wrong, I don’t care about that. I care about losing the pure exhilarating elation that makes you go wild with crazy abandon.

I was all for the introduction of VAR (and I still think it should be used for looking at possible red card challenges and possible penalties), but it’s going to ruin the greatest thing in the world, and I want VAR for goals to be scrapped.

I’d rather have corruption going on against us than lose being able to celebrate a goal properly!

Great post and captures everything I feel. We were dancing around the lounge after the goal and as soon as it went to VAR it was like a smack in the face. Before players only had to glance to the linesman now the celebrations will be subdued and the moment gone.

I don’t see how we could have VAR but not have it for everything. We already have goal line technology covered but goals are scored from offside positions, after fouling a defender, from handball. We can’t be selective it’s all or nothing.

Where they have to get it right is the process. As I understand it next season in the EPL referees will not be going to view incidents on TV but will receive advice on their ear piece from a few blokes in a van. This may speed things up but the whole process will be invisible to the fans. In the Champions league they need stricter guidelines on what is expected from the ref - were told that he had all the angles available but he didn’t use them. For such a critical decision we as a club are owed an explanation of why he didn’t view the incident from every angle. I won’t hold my breath.

Technology is coming in, and I think it's a good thing. I am willing to think about it and accept change. However I do not like the current arrangement of the most marginal decisions being replayed and the game being placed on hold. Perhaps I will adapt and learn and change.

We should be open-minded. It's football trying to find a better way. At the moment I do not think it is better. I would prefer to give referees on the spot and in the moment more information rather than stop the game and go backwards.

For example look at the aguero offside for Sterling’s goal. Now watching that replay the linesman has failed to do his job. He should have spotted the offside and raised his flag immediately but he didnt. Problem is, if the linesman didnt raise his flag because in his head he is thinking it doesnt matter, if City score this will go to VAR as they will spot it, this is a major flaw in the VAR system.

Thats why i am hoping UEFA simplify the rules so VAR works in a fast manner. Offside should be offside, not a shoulder or foot but clear daylight

For example look at the aguero offside for Sterling’s goal. Now watching that replay the linesman has failed to do his job. He should have spotted the offside and raised his flag immediately but he didnt. Problem is, if the linesman didnt raise his flag because in his head he is thinking it doesnt matter, if City score this will go to VAR as they will spot it, this is a major flaw in the VAR system.

Thats why i am hoping UEFA simplify the rules so VAR works in a fast manner. Offside should be offside, not a shoulder or foot but clear daylight
I think it's simpler not to have grey areas. What's clear daylight? The current rule is OK imo.

Another thing I don't like is how far back in a move you go, and how thoroughly do you look. I bet if you examine goals from corners, a very significant number will involve infringements.

The game has to be refereed in real time I think with judgements made on black and white issues. Interpretation should be instant from the match official. I am confident in time football will get this right.

I think it's really bad and sad that people can not just accept that we got beat..

You keep banging on to this effect, and say football opinion is against us.

I have moved on, (and am already looking forward to tomorrows challenge) , but moving on, not least of all because nothing is going to change, does not make it right.
As i have posted earlier, i don't really like Rossiter's directive, that was issued in January, prior to the knockout stages, that made it clear (a directive!!) that changes due to be implemented from June 1st, aided by VAR, were to be introduced immediately for the Champions League, nobody, neither you, nor me, have to like those changes, but if the powers that be decree they are in force, those should be the rules that are played to.
So, the very directive that resulted in penalties at Schalke, PSG, and the first leg at Spurs, is the same directive, that should have ruled out Llorente's goal. I'm sorry, that's not an opinion, its a fact. Incidentally if they are going to use VAR to improve /get things right, the penalty at Spurs should categorically have been re-taken, as Vertonghen encroached (NOT marginally), and ultimately he cleared it.

With regards to the Aguero offside, i've no idea if he was or wasn't offside, at the crucial moment, (when it left Bernardo's right leg), so far they have failed to show the correct freeze frame, merely an earlier moment before the ball touched Bernardo, and Aguero was moving back towards being onside. Somehow they managed to show Mane with the brightly coloured lines to demonstrate he was onside in the other semi, and that was broadcast at half time.Where is the picture with the lines on, that the VAR official ruled on?

Nothing will change the outcome, my issue is not with using VAR, but with using it correctly, and following their own directive's!!

Couldn't agree more mate, at first I was all for it, but witnessing it the other night, and the disruption to
the flow and tempo of the game that was the result, has changed my view of it. I'll stress, it's not just because
of the City game, it's going to piss others off for sure.

Deffo not just because of City game, it's the game, and supporters in general that will suffer

VAR is still effectively in its infancy. There are going to be errors and we were bloody unfortunate that one glaring error helped knock us out the competition. The drama that surrounded our knockout blow has been in the public eye, it has been backed by tabloids saying it was handball. Even Llorrente has admitted he was sure it would be wiped out

And then lets add to the fact that an official has come forward to say it was not used correctly. The only good that can come out if this is if lessons are learnt and the ref on the pitch, lets not forget is the most important person as he is making the decision - so UEFA should be aware of this now, needs full access to multiple camera angles. As we are all aware the angle he was shown makes it look like he was only hit on the hip.

Another thing that needs to be addressed with the introduction of VAR, is the rulebook needs to be changed. I think it all needs to be simplified in terms of what is and what isnt offside amongst others. Offside now should revert back to having clear daylight between the last defender and the firward placed attacker, none of this his ankle or foot was offside

The worrying issue with VAR if what i read the other day by another Blue posting on here, is if it is the TV station that provides the camera angle to the officials. If this is true it needs to be stopped immediately, it leaves the whole situation in the hands of a non-football entity dictating who they want to favour.

Yes let the station provide the camera angle but if this us how UEFA want it to be provided then they should have an official in the box with the people from where the images are beamed from, so he is dictating that all angles are fed through to the pitch official.

I would also say to UEFA that us as match going fans want to be kept in the loop, not have to rely on watching this unfold from the stands in the dark or on your mobile. The images should be fed to the large screen in the stadium

The worrying issue with VAR if what i read the other day by another Blue posting on here, is if it is the TV station that provides the camera angle to the officials. If this is true it needs to be stopped immediately, it leaves the whole situation in the hands of a non-football entity dictating who they want to favour.
=====
Craig Burley and Shaka Hislop confirmed on ESPN that the var officials use camera angles provided by the ‘Host’ broadcaster.

If they can penalise Otamendi in Gelsenkirchen then they should penalise Llorente in Manchester. Two players who didn't deliberately deflect the ball with their arm. What's the difference?

=====
Craig Burley and Shaka Hislop confirmed on ESPN that the var officials use camera angles provided by the ‘Host’ broadcaster.

If this is the case then BT need to be asked the question on why they didn't provide the ref with more angles. This should be in the public domain too

If I control a crossed ball with my shoulder, my arms stuck to my body and head the ball in the following second, should the goal count even though I was intending to chest the ball?
Shoulder is not handball

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.