VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Darren England replaced with Craig Pawson.

Yeah that'll end well
That was 2 fingers stuck up at us as tbe incompetent wanker failed to send Hwang off when he committed a definite second yellow offence. As some one pointed out it was almost identical to Jotas yellow.

Maybe. I don't the know figures in terms of how many decisions are correct pre and post VAR. I would expect VAR to improve accuracy, of course. I accept it will never be 100% correct for all decisions. But there still seems to be too many errors.

I was lead to believe it was 100% correct for offside, (frame tolerance aside). Now I'm not convinced.
There should be no going to the monitor to check a decision.

VAR should only intervene and change an onfield decision if it’s clear and obvious. By sending the ref to the monitor they are sitting on the fence but kind of pushing the ref over.

Yesterday Wolves players committed 50% more fouls than we did but we both had 4 outfield players booked, the worst decision was not to book Hwang. Saying that we didn’t deserve much on yesterday’s performance, onwards and upwards.

In the week without VAR, England womens lost to a wrong onside decision - the manager and fans were furious VAR was not in use.

Same for City fans calling in angry about not having VAR for Newcastle match in which Pep was furious at officials .

These were just from a couple rare matches without VAR.

I’m ok scrapping it and going back to how it was. Seriously I am. But let’s not pretend fans will be any happier without it, they’ll be so outraged watching a CLEAR offside goal stand or a complete no contact dive given against their club - especially nowadays in todays social media outraged world.

For me VAR errors like Diaz goal are simply unacceptable and it’s important that they improve to ensure it never happens again. Unfortunately it’s impossible to get every single decision ever correct in my opinion but they should always strive to do so - VAR gives us that chance, without VAR then it’s forever and on a larger scale more of a shambles in todays game.

Totally understand fans that reason the delay after goal takes away the fun for many. Personally I’m ok with it and accept I’m in the minority.
Yes, it was wrong, human error and that was that. What is the excuses with VAR and by the way, when it first was used in the World Cup tournament, there were disagreements then. As I’ve said before, my arguments with it are two fold, the enjoyment it’s taken out of the game when someone has scored a goal and the fact that there are still so many errors and disagreements with it. I accept that those in charge will probably never go back to not using VAR.

Last edited:
Now that a decision has gone against the Mickey's watch out for some sort of rule change .
Wouldn't be surprised of they voted against the semi -automated VAR offered at the start of the season,given the usual favourable decisions they receive over the course of the season.

Webb will probably pick some none decision in the game between Forest and Brentford to prove why he should still be in a job on TV on Monday.
How about an apology to Pep for Pawson not refereeing the match as it should. He saw the foul on Walker, therefore he should have known it was worthy of a second yellow. That non decision to send the Wolves player off, who scored their winning goal, may have cost us the game.

I can live with that tbh. If VAR isn’t even eliminating clear factual mistakes, then the trade off (slowing game down, not being able to fully celebrate goals etc) doesn’t seem worth it frankly.

I think when I look back to the days before VAR, there were 2 big areas that were problematic.

1 was offsides, they were always getting those wrong.

2 was off ball incidents and things the ref didn’t see.

I hate that the referees will “win” by fucking up VAR’s implementation so badly, but if it’s going to carry on like this then just have semi-auto offsides and only allow VAR to come in for red card offences.

Perhaps when they nail that we can go back to widening the scope again.

Is the system they use in the champions league the one that the premier league turned down,if so why and what were the reasons for it,from what I’ve seen of it,it seems 100% foolproof maybe that’s the reason they turned it down the ability to manipulate games would be taken away possibly..
I believe the reason given was some nonsense about the tech evolving, and they didn't want to go to the expense of introducing a new system as they expected something better to be developed in the coming seasons.

I think Webb is tasked with completely discrediting the tech and VAR system so PL can go back to the brown envelope era with no chance of reviewing anything. that aint gonna be better for City, as any close calls can be against us with no hope even VAR putting it right. now at least if we concede offside goal chances are if there isnt a moron in VAR room it will be offside without VAR it will be given as a goal even if we see on replay its off like those Liverpool goals in CL knockout games. while Sane was stopped onsite, before VAR.

Imo tech is needed as some of these refs we see each week are rather bad at their job, and they would miss so many close decisions without VAR.

almost laughable these apologies to clubs when they have a chance to review replays and make correct decisions.

they do it on purpose, I think the plan is for the clubs to agree to remove VAR, and place much bigger fate into the on field refs hand, which imo is a horrible alternative. while the VAR system has its bad sides, especially how its used, adapted, I still feel safer with it than without it.

but the refs need serious training, I dont know if they are full time at it, but serious competence tests needs to be made for them, I think too much time went into training them to show yellow for kicking ball away or managers on the touchline but not enough on more important situations which have much more effect like real faults, offsides etc
series of faults by same player not a yellow, but kick the ball away 10 feet its a yellow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.