VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, it was wrong, human error and that was that. What is the excuses with VAR and by the way, when it first was used in the World Cup tournament, there were disagreements then. As I’ve said before, my arguments with it are two fold, the enjoyment it’s taken out of the game when someone has scored a goal and the fact that there are still so many errors and disagreements with it. I accept that those in charge will probably never go back to not using VAR.
I was a fan of VAR and still am, but our officials have fucked it up. Human error - whodafunkit.

With VAR it is just this simple, you can have all the video and as many angles as you want if its still the same set of idiots reviewing it the results wont be any better, they are still getting the wrong decisions just more slowly.

Liverpool on the other hand need to have a world with themselves, the amount of times they have benefitted from sketchy var decisions and refs decisions is beyond laughable and to threaten pgmol about undermining sporting integrity is hypocrisy beyond belief and tone deaf from their perspective.

The guy that scored the winner against on saturday shouldnt have been on the pitch but we arent talking about sporting integrity being undermined.

The fact Darren England was in the UAE days earlier getting paid to ref a match in the UAE is highly inappropriate. The optics are shocking. Why is the UAE flying in English refs who officiate in the PL, rather than having locals officiate?

As City fans, does this arrangement make you uncomfortable? It was clearly an error. But imagine if that decision was in your favour against Liverpool, days after the refs in question just got back from an all expenses paid trip to the UAE to earn 5k each to ref a domestic UAE match.

Do not plead ignorance. You know deep down this is dodgy and reaks. All it would take is a decision in your favour, and for it to have been the case the referee in question was in the UAE days earlier under the same deal Darren England was on - and thats it, scandal, accusations, and genuine appearance of conflict that would put another microscope on the Man City name.

Calls for Howard Webb to ban PL refs from getting paid outside their capacity as PL refs, and it has to happen.
Please can this utter bellend just be banned? No excuse when someone comes on here and posts such complete incendiary codswallop.

The fact Darren England was in the UAE days earlier getting paid to ref a match in the UAE is highly inappropriate. The optics are shocking. Why is the UAE flying in English refs who officiate in the PL, rather than having locals officiate?

As City fans, does this arrangement make you uncomfortable? It was clearly an error. But imagine if that decision was in your favour against Liverpool, days after the refs in question just got back from an all expenses paid trip to the UAE to earn 5k each to ref a domestic UAE match.

Do not plead ignorance. You know deep down this is dodgy and reaks. All it would take is a decision in your favour, and for it to have been the case the referee in question was in the UAE days earlier under the same deal Darren England was on - and thats it, scandal, accusations, and genuine appearance of conflict that would put another microscope on the Man City name.

Calls for Howard Webb to ban PL refs from getting paid outside their capacity as PL refs, and it has to happen.
Ahh, you finally show your true colours. We need to get our 5k back from Pawson - or was he paid by Arsenal!

Not a fan of the way LFC have gone about things as if it's the first time VAR has ever got a decision wrong. But I do feel that it needed a club to say what they have said. PL clubs have just rolled over and accepted the PGMOL apologies and said nothing until now and the amature VAR shit show run by Webb and his predecessors have had a free ride . Liverpool are right it isn't good enough and isnt acceptable, the standard of people doing VAR are poor. Thing's need to change. I think it would be good if other clubs spoke up now as well and said decisions are often very poor and inexcusable. Then we may see an improvement and a complete change in the way things are done.

Last edited:
It makes me uncomfortable as a football fan.

However the reason I asked if there is a direct link between Man City and the UAE. What's the link between Arsenal and the UAE? Our owner lives in Colorado and has a strong conneciton to Walmart.

If Walmart were paying money to PL referees to ref the Walmart Soccer match, then I would be very uncomfortable.
You realise it wasn't a City game? What does Spurs vs Liverpool have to do with your big City conspiracy?

I'd go one further and look into whether the officials for arsenal v Forest, Southampton and Brighton were in the UAE at all last year?

There has to be reason why arsenal completely bottled it. Perhaps you've stumbled onto something.

Not a fan of the way LFC have gone about things as if it's the first time VAR has ever got a decision wrong. But I do feel that it needed a club to say what they have said. PL clubs have just rolled over and accepted the PGMOL apologies and said nothing until now and the amature VAR shit show run by Webb and his predecessors have had a free ride . Liverpool are right it isn't good enough and isnt acceptable, the standard of people doing VAR are poor. Thing's need to change. I think it would be good if other clubs spoke up now as well and said decisions are often very poor and inexcusable. Then we may see an improvement and a complete change in the way things are done.
While i agree in theory, it is hypocrisy of the highest order that they are now bleating in the press about an incorrect decision when so many have gone in their favour ever since var came to fruition that they are known as LiVARpool, im all for getting it right but you cannot go well its swings and roundabouts when its going in your favour and then threaten to sue when it doesnt, i hope they take this further i really do and then it can show how many decisions have incorrectly gone in their favour, they are doing themselves no favours whatsoever here

I'm sure they did and that made it worse.
If I remember rightly there was no official apology, but Howard Webb discussed it on MNF and said something along the lines of “it was the correct decision according to the rules of the game, but if a similar situation happened again there would be a different outcome”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.