VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now I think about it, PGMOL have created this particular rod for their back themselves, by changing the way the game is refereed to accommodate VAR. In the old days, the linesman would have put his flag up, play would have stopped, Liverpool fans in the ground would have said "that was close", the pundits could have analysed it and said "mistake, it was onside", but there would be no goal to disallow, no damage to reputations and no going mental in the Liverpool boardroom.

Now, they let play until the ball is the net, then put the flag up, then check it and still get it wrong because of a "check complete" communication protocol that is so stupid it is hardly worth thinking about.

A perfect storm of how to screw something up. Funny, actually, as it doesn't affect us this time. For once.

You can tell that Webb went to the same media training school as Blair, Cameron & Clegg - the way they talk with their hands in a kind of 'just trust me' kind of way.

Now I think about it, PGMOL have created this particular rod for their back themselves, by changing the way the game is refereed to accommodate VAR. In the old days, the linesman would have put his flag up, play would have stopped, Liverpool fans in the ground would have said "that was close", the pundits could have analysed it and said "mistake, it was onside", but there would be no goal to disallow, no damage to reputations and no going mental in the Liverpool boardroom.

Now, they let play until the ball is the net, then put the flag up, then check it and still get it wrong because of a "check complete" communication protocol that is so stupid it is hardly worth thinking about.

A perfect storm of how to screw something up. Funny, actually, as it doesn't affect us this time. For once.
We need to go back to just refs and trusting them imo.

You can tell that Webb went to the same media training school as Blair, Cameron & Clegg - the way they talk with their hands in a kind of 'just trust me' kind of way.
To be fair to Webb, anyone who has been near a TV interview in the last thirty years will have had that kind of media training. I remember doing it in the 90s, with all the stuff about answering any question with what you want to say rather than the actual answer, positive body language etc.

I was surprised the other day to see stills of Sunak pointing in the Laura K interview. He'd clearly got wound up, because politicians, for years, have been doing a "holding an egg on a spoon" gesture rather than pointing, to avoid looking rude and aggressive.

We need to go back to just refs and trusting them imo.
I'm not sure tbh. In principle, VAR should benefit the game overall and would do if used professionally.

You only have to look at both Rugby and Cricket to see it's value.

It beggars belief that the FA are not willing to make the system transparent and ensure fans can see and hear what is being discussed and why For me there are two reasons for that

Firstly, it would highlight the poor level of refereeing standards that exist in the PL and secondly (and worse), it allows decisions to be made by faceless souls who have no accountability.

This will fester until more clubs do as Liverpool did and publicly kick off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.