VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure tbh. In principle, VAR should benefit the game overall and would do if used professionally.

You only have to look at both Rugby and Cricket to see it's value.

It beggars belief that the FA are not willing to make the system transparent and ensure fans can see and hear what is being discussed and why For me there are two reasons for that

Firstly, it would highlight the poor level of refereeing standards that exist in the PL and secondly (and worse), it allows decisions to be made by faceless souls who have no accountability.

This will fester until more clubs do as Liverpool did and publicly kick off.

Agree with you, except live broadcast of the discussions wouldn't have made any difference at Spurs. They got the decision right, they say. They communicated it wrongly. They can say "check complete"* live as well. Referee immediately blows his whistle and the game has restarted. Too late.

Seems to me this is the least interesting of their cock-ups from the audio point of view and from an intellectual point of view. It was just an "honest" mistake. It will be funny as fuck to hear the audio, though, as they realise their mistake. :)

* Incidentally, all PGMOL have to do is say protocol has been changed immediately to a positive confirmation, whatever the outcome: no offside, no other offence, goal stands. Not "check complete". Will never happen again. Idiots.

Anyway, enough from me on this :) You will be pleased to know.

Last edited:
Quick summary from 2 year ago from 30 second Google. Look at the numbers and divide by 20. Then ask yourself is it worth it?

Is adding 8 minutes on to matches worth it to correct 5 decisions in a season? Is having the spontaneity taken away from every goal worth it? Maybe in 3 or 4 big games per season is it worth it but for the overall picture its just not. The correct decision isn't the be all and end all, we're being sold that like its fact. I always thought the phrase:it evens itself out over the season" to be complete bullshit but I'd take that over this nonsense.

Total overturns: 120
Rejected overturns: 0

Leading to goals: 47
Leading to disallowed goals: 43
Penalties awarded: 38 (6 missed)
Pens for handball: 15
Penalties overturned: 9 (1 for offside, 3 on position)
Penalties retakes (GK/DEF encroach): 2
Penalties retakes (ATT encroach): 1 (1 missed)
Goals ruled out for offside: 32
Goals awarded after incorrect offside: 11
Goals ruled out for handball: 3
Goals allowed after wrong handball: 0
Goals ruled out for a foul: 8
Red cards: 13
Overturned red cards: 3

Agree with you, except live broadcast of the discussions wouldn't have made any difference at Spurs. They got the decision right, they say. They communicated it wrongly. They can say "check complete"* live as well. Referee immediately blows his whistle and the game has restarted. Too late.
Blowing the whistle didn't stop them awarding a penalty at the Swamp after the game had finished.

Can you imagine if the audio does indeed show the VAR mob thinking it was given as a goal on the field and saying something along the lines of "No need to check this one lads - let's keep it as a Liverpool goal as we normally would in this situation"

Cue Liverpool destroying the recording and wishing they'd never asked for it!

Quick summary from 2 year ago from 30 second Google. Look at the numbers and divide by 20. Then ask yourself is it worth it?

Is adding 8 minutes on to matches worth it to correct 5 decisions in a season? Is having the spontaneity taken away from every goal worth it? Maybe in 3 or 4 big games per season is it worth it but for the overall picture its just not. The correct decision isn't the be all and end all, we're being sold that like its fact. I always thought the phrase:it evens itself out over the season" to be complete bullshit but I'd take that over this nonsense.

Total overturns: 120
Rejected overturns: 0

Leading to goals: 47
Leading to disallowed goals: 43
Penalties awarded: 38 (6 missed)
Pens for handball: 15
Penalties overturned: 9 (1 for offside, 3 on position)
Penalties retakes (GK/DEF encroach): 2
Penalties retakes (ATT encroach): 1 (1 missed)
Goals ruled out for offside: 32
Goals awarded after incorrect offside: 11
Goals ruled out for handball: 3
Goals allowed after wrong handball: 0
Goals ruled out for a foul: 8
Red cards: 13
Overturned red cards: 3
Couldn't agree more. I've added a couple of stats:

Number of times you've started to celebrate a goal and then remembered VAR: 378
Number of times you've felt like accuracy was more important than entertainment when it comes to football: 0

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.