VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure why anyone would want to go back to an antiquated system where speed and eyes don't often match up, nor incidents that happen and can be obscured.

It's backwards and we need to move forwards.

It should be inclusive and open, not cloak and dagger as it was.
Absolutely - I know some aren't convinced the tech is that good, but it's still a lot better than a man with a flag.

There would have many more goals incorrectly given/ruled out before.

I've always felt if you have to go to VAR -

- Ref/Linesman gives his decision (crowd need to be aware of this, micd refs exist in multiple sports)

- VAR has to find a reason to overturn it, if it needs overturning.

This works in rugby league/union/cricket and has done for decades. Football is not special.

Also, broadcast the conversation on TV like every other sport does and put the video on the screens at games

And the referee shouldn't be reviewing their own decision on a screen either. Let the VAR ref make the call, rather than allowing the ref to stand by their call.

I said a few years back, I am convinced they are deliberately ruining the implementation of VAR so they can keep the cabal even more of a closed shop.
How long till we have a league wide vote and VAR is just eradicated?

VAR embarrasses the ref on the pitch, which is why they use it as little as possible.
There is zero excuse for why VAR didn't stop the ref restarting the game last week other than it would have made the ref look ridiculous because he didn't understand what VAR told him first time round, so they just panic and move on.

The audio from the clips that have been shared is outrageous, several people shouting over the top of each other and giving different opinions.

What reason do PGMOL have for not releasing the entire 90min audio to YouTube after every game if its not for a cover up. They should be welcoming it and promoting it so fans, pundits, young refs can learn and understand what happens.

I watch a lot of NFL and whilst you are still dealing with subjective calls and may disagree with the ref, at least they broadcast live on TV and in the stadium exactly what they were looking at.

To be fair to Webb, anyone who has been near a TV interview in the last thirty years will have had that kind of media training. I remember doing it in the 90s, with all the stuff about answering any question with what you want to say rather than the actual answer, positive body language etc.

I was surprised the other day to see stills of Sunak pointing in the Laura K interview. He'd clearly got wound up, because politicians, for years, have been doing a "holding an egg on a spoon" gesture rather than pointing, to avoid looking rude and aggressive.
With Webb it's little more obvious though, the wooden-ness comes through.

The tech is fine just like most tech is, virtually all problems with tech originate from user error just like this is.

The overreaching problem is the cloak and dagger nature of it, there is no cogent argument for pgmol not making all conversations between var officials and on pitch officials available to all fans and then this would build some trust, in fact i would go a step further and say it should be encouraged that officials have to explain how they come to certain decisions after the game and how they applied the laws of the game to come to said decisions, refs are no longer volunteers, they are highly paid and supposedly professional and as such shouldnt be exempt from scrutiny and explanation

The tech is fine just like most tech is, virtually all problems with tech originate from user error just like this is.

The overreaching problem is the cloak and dagger nature of it, there is no cogent argument for pgmol not making all conversations between var officials and on pitch officials available to all fans and then this would build some trust, in fact i would go a step further and say it should be encouraged that officials have to explain how they come to certain decisions after the game and how they applied the laws of the game to come to said decisions, refs are no longer volunteers, they are highly paid and supposedly professional and as such shouldnt be exempt from scrutiny and explanation
Totally agree. There needs to be some accountability

All this technology and for me the best is your own eyes rule! Freeze the frame when the ball leaves the foot to the attacker and just look at that freeze frame if you can see it's ofside call it if yours eyes can't see it's ofside it's fine! This mm red blue lines is madness!

Or just bring the auto ofside in! Wonde they Liverpool not banging the drum about that? Or any other club?

It’s clear that VAR is utilised to a far poorer standard in England than in other top leagues, and it has gotten exponentially worse since Webb arrived with his rather ‘peculiar’ interpretations of the laws of the game.

Before they throw the whole thing out, Webb must be removed and some common sense allowed of the referees.

Imagine them releasing the ref/VAR taped conversations. It would be like being on the phone to your old nan and slowly telling her for the 5th time to pull the plug out, count to 15 and plug it back in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.