VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Typically it’s not a shambles in Europe, it worked fine in the World Cup. It’s just our thick shit officials that can’t grasp it

Unless you follow European football particularly closely, you wouldn’t really know that.

For example. In Germany last week and barely mentioned in the UK press.

Dortmund player potentially fouls a Heidemheim player in the box.

Ref gives a penalty.

VAR tells him there was an offside before the foul.

Ref gives off side.

Dortmund substitute the player who’d made the foul.

VAR tells the ref he’s made a mistake. It wasn’t offside after all. It’s a penalty and a red card.

Ref gives the penalty but decides he can’t send the player off as he’s already been substituted. So books him instead.

He is the operator who actually generates the images and draws the lines the VAR requests. Also seemingly the only one of the three of them who seemed to notice anything was amiss when Tottenham took a free kick rather than kicked off to restart play. He had previously worked for Hawkeye it seems.

Think the confusion with the audio comes from the fact he starts appealing to “Ollie” when he realises the VAR and AVAR have become frozen in confusion. That “Ollie” is Michael Oliver, the 4th official.

He’s the only one who comes out of this with any credit. Perhaps they should sack the other two off and just leave it all to the only guy who seemed to know what he was doing.
Close but not quite. The guy you're referring to (and the one who can be heard in the clip) is the replay operator, Mo Abby.

Oli Kohout is the VAR hub operations executive (essentially Abby's boss). He contacted Abby on another line to tell him that the game needed to be stopped due to the mistake.

Then, as you say, things get even more farcical when the VAR seems to question who "Oli" is and the 4th official Michael Oliver chimes in.

It's telling that the only 2 who come out of it with any credit are the non-referee tech guys. The rest of them sound like a bunch of gormless fuckwits who have no idea what they're doing.

Unless you follow European football particularly closely, you wouldn’t really know that.

For example. In Germany last week and barely mentioned in the UK press.

Dortmund player potentially fouls a Heidemheim player in the box.

Ref gives a penalty.

VAR tells him there was an offside before the foul.

Ref gives off side.

Dortmund substitute the player who’d made the foul.

VAR tells the ref he’s made a mistake. It wasn’t offside after all. It’s a penalty and a red card.

Ref gives the penalty but decides he can’t send the player off as he’s already been substituted. So books him instead.
Thanks for telling me what I know and don’t know.

Is it any great surprise that officials who -

Can’t get defenders 10 yards away at free kicks

Can’t get defenders 10 yards away at corners

Spot foul throws

Stop blatant time wasting

And all the other simple things in their remit

Can’t manage to talk to each other over a walkie talkie

Last edited:
Thanks for telling me what I know and don’t know.

I’ve no idea what you know or don’t know.

I keep reading people saying that VAR works seamlessly in every other country.

But the vast majority of people don’t watch any league other than their own country and have no idea if that’s true or not.

I’ve no idea what you know or don’t know.

I keep reading people saying that VAR works seamlessly in every other country.

But the vast majority of people don’t watch any league other than their own country and have no idea if that’s true or not.
No I didn’t - I said it seems to work well in the European games (uefa and CL) and the World Cup. But the standard of referees in our country, in my opinion, is fucking shocking.

No I didn’t - I said it seems to work well in the European games (uefa and CL) and the World Cup. But the standard of referees in our country, in my opinion, is fucking shocking.

You said “typically it works well in Europe” which I took to mean in European leagues.

But I was making a more a general point anyway, that a lot of people ( not necessarily you ) try to give the impression that it’s only in England where there’s any issues. Where as most people don’t watch foreign domestic football and wouldn’t know either way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.