VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why not use the the latest VAR version that was used in the WC, is this used in the CL as well ?

Surely the main question should be why did pl vote to carry on using the old system.

Is the old system easier to 'fix' games because the VAR ref decides when to draw the lines. VAR ref decides what frame to use, decides when the ball is played.

Isnt the new system more computer based so less input from the VAR refs ?

Agree.

Its an impossibility and to have a system designed to disallow rather than award goals by the merest of margins when we know the technology being used is unable to accurately capture it is just plain wrong and ridiculous.

I have been saying this from the start ! They guess which still frame to use. I have seen some still frames were the ball is like a long oval shape to rule a goal out. I have seen other still frames when the ball is 100% ball shape ( round ) to rule a goal out.

Why not use the the latest VAR version that was used in the WC, is this used in the CL as well ?

Surely the main question should be why did pl vote to carry on using the old system.

Is the old system easier to 'fix' games because the VAR ref decides when to draw the lines. VAR ref decides what frame to use, decides when the ball is played.

That doesn't change the view that the absolute certainty of 1mm offsides isn't either possible or in the spirit of the game. Although , granted, it is better than what we have now if more accuracy and less human involvement is what you want.

That doesn't change the view that the absolute certainty of 1mm offsides isn't either possible or in the spirit of the game. Although , granted, it is better than what we have now if more accuracy and less human involvement is what you want.

Not sure if the extra human involvement negates the positives. But our version does at least have a tolerance level built in, when the two lines overlap. So it’s probably more a few centimetres than a mm they’re judging.

Whereas the UEFA system claims to always be able to tell as a matter of fact. So even less than a mm really for them.

Just think you’d be creating even more controversy with a vague ‘clearly wrong’ benchmark.

No one is going to stop the TV people from drawing lines and I’d give it two weeks before one man’s ‘clearly wrong’ turns out to be less than another man’s play on.

I would give it less than two weeks, but so what?

There is controversy everywhere on a football field. There will be controversy on offsides even if you can measure offsides to 1mm: active play, deliberate action, interfering, playing the ball - it goes on and on. Complaining about referees' decisions is a part of the game. I was doing it in the 60s. It will always happen. What is the point of applying an accuracy of measurement that the people refereeing the game, or the people in the ground, can't be expected to see? How is that improving the game? It's purely mastubatory. self-pleasure. Look at how good we are - we can disallow a wonderful goal from someone who has beaten the offside trap as well as he humanly could, looking across the line, timing his run as best he can, and we can disallow it because he was running and his toe was 1mm in front of a defender. How does that benefit the game?

It's (presumed) impossible-to-see-in real-time accuracy for the sake of it. It does nothing at all for the game.

Or put it this way. before VAR, how many offsides were there that you would say, the linesman must be bent it was so offside, compared to, say, it looked offside to me but it's so close, or it looked onside but it's difficult and fair enough?

I was in favour of VAR, I still am for some things. But for 1mm offsides? Forget it.

Apparently the reason for not going for the UEFA auto offside was it be out of date in a few years! More like a company have told them they have a new ofside technology and there is money in it for you if you don't go with the uefa one!

It's always about money

Not sure if the extra human involvement negates the positives. But our version does at least have a tolerance level built in, when the two lines overlap. So it’s probably more a few centimetres than a mm they’re judging.

Whereas the UEFA system claims to always be able to tell as a matter of fact. So even less than a mm really for them.

:)

And that brings me to questions I have on the accuracy of the SAOT. But that is for another day, everyone will be pleased to know.

I've suggested having a standard part of the body as the tester for offside. A sensor fixed to the middle of the sternum on the shirt, or the middle of the back of the collar, or in the toe of both boots, for example.
Appreciate this may be influenced by how players are positioned moving towards, or away from, the goal. However this would be a perfectly accurate system of black and white fact.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.