VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unfortunately, the Laws of the Game cannot deal with every possible situation, so where there is no direct provision in the Laws, the referee should make a decision within the spirit of the game and the Laws. This should involve the officials asking the question, 'what would football expect in this situation?'

For this reason, Haaland's second goal only needed a cursory check for handball, and even if the ball had touched Haaland's hand before crossing the goal line, I'd like to think it would have still resulted in a goal.

I’ve not seen replays yet so have no idea. But if the ball touched his elbow before it fully crossed the line, the laws quite categorically say it is handball.

It would be a horrible way to have a goal disallowed. But I’m not sure too many City fans would be happy for an opposition goal to stand for the sake of the spirit of the game, if an offence was proved to have taken place?

I’ve not seen replays yet so have no idea. But if the ball touched his elbow before it fully crossed the line, the laws quite categorically say it is handball.

It would be a horrible way to have a goal disallowed. But I’m not sure too many City fans would be happy for an opposition goal to stand for the sake of the spirit of the game, if an offence was proved to have taken place?
It didn't touch his arm/elbow. That is the point. One replay was all they needed to see that, instead they forensically examined it in the hope of disallowing it.
When they couldnt rule it out they desperately tried to see if Doku fouled someone in the build up.

I started this discussion purely to say they take too long, they are desperate to spoil football.

It didn't touch his arm/elbow. That is the point. One replay was all they needed to see that, instead they forensically examined it in the hope of disallowing it.
When they couldnt rule it out they desperately tried to see if Doku fouled someone in the build up.

I started this discussion purely to say they take too long, they are desperate to spoil football.

I’m at a disadvantage, as I’m just going off that still posted and haven’t seen any TV yet. It certainly looks pretty close to his elbow and not yet over the line from that though.

But on a general point, what you describe as them desperately trying to rule it at, just sounds like them following the correct protocol. They’d first check if there was a handball as if there was, everything else would be irrelevant. When they’ve ruled that out, they go back and check there was nothing else untoward.

I think they’re all taking that little bit more time since the Liverpool, Tottering game.

Unfortunately, the Laws of the Game cannot deal with every possible situation, so where there is no direct provision in the Laws, the referee should make a decision within the spirit of the game and the Laws. This should involve the officials asking the question, 'what would football expect in this situation?'

For this reason, Haaland's second goal only needed a cursory check for handball, and even if the ball had touched Haaland's hand before crossing the goal line, I'd like to think it would have still resulted in a goal.
Indeed, it would probably be helpful if the law itself was simplified to state its purpose and the present rhetoric modified to read as examples of how this purpose should be applied.

e.g. The purpose of this law is to avoid a player’s hand making contact with the ball giving that player’s team an advantage.
This should be the first consideration of the referee. The following descriptors give examples that should guide the referee in making a judgement as to whether there has been an infringement and the nature of any penalty to be applied …….
Follows an adaption of the current wording of the law to consider what part of arm is proscribed etc…

"I’m at a disadvantage, as I’m just going off that still posted and haven’t seen any TV yet"

Yes, that's a pretty big dis-advantage... Maybe watch it first, then you you'll probably not want to mention it again.

Which is why I haven’t given any opinion about the decision itself either way.

My original point was to the person who said even if it did hit his arm, the goal should have stood. Which you don’t need to have seen anything to argue against.

Agreed 100%

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.