VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just repeating what the other guy has already said really but think it’s a bit rude not answering a direct question.

So yeah, if it touches the goalscorer’s hand/arm, it’s an offence by default. No ambiguity in law with that really.

The pressure for that law to be introduced can probably be traced back to a goal against City, scored by a Wolves player a few years ago, who sort of inadvertently punched the ball in the goal at the far post.
That and that twat scoring with his elbow for Spurs in the CL again against us.

I think the handball law is pretty clear on the one and we wouldn’t need to revert back to any law about the spirit of the game. If the ball had touched his arm on the way in then it HAS already been clearly defined in law.

Unfortunately, the Laws of the Game cannot deal with every possible situation, so where there is no direct provision in the Laws, the referee should make a decision within the spirit of the game and the Laws. This should involve the officials asking the question, 'what would football expect in this situation?'

For this reason, Haaland's second goal only needed a cursory check for handball, and even if the ball had touched Haaland's hand before crossing the goal line, I'd like to think it would have still resulted in a goal.
I think the issue is that the refs (and me personally) think the laws cover that specific provision already quite clearly bud.

No it wouldn't.

Until the ball has fully crossed the line, it's not a goal. If it touches Haaland's arm or hand before it crosses the line it's automatically ruled out. It would be a bizarre situation, given that he's in the goal at the time, but it's a very simple rule. Handball by a goalscorer, even if accidental, rules out the goal.
It would have been given.

You can see Haalnd purposely put his hand in the air not to touch it, he physically couldn’t do anymore, it’s a bizarre one because if he’s ahead of the ball and it’s following him into the net he’s not actually doing anything to make the ball go forward unless there’s a a gent in his arm and the ball. Had that not been given it would’ve been criminal.

You can see Haalnd purposely put his hand in the air not to touch it, he physically couldn’t do anymore, it’s a bizarre one because if he’s ahead of the ball and it’s following him into the net he’s not actually doing anything to make the ball go forward unless there’s a a gent in his arm and the ball. Had that not been given it would’ve been criminal.
It nearly hit his other arm though. His left elbow was centimetres away from it as the ball trickled over the line.

I would have thought that had the goal been disallowed for it touching Haarland's arm then VAR would have checked for a penalty (and possible red card). But then as the song says "I'm only a cockeyed optimist".

Were they? Have you proof of this?

The Premier League reported that 82 per cent of decisions were correct in the season before VAR was introduced, rising to 94 per cent being correct in 2019/20.

would have thought it has increased more now more has evolved.

I think the issue is that the refs (and me personally) think the laws cover that specific provision already quite clearly bud.
Yes, I agree. There are the 17 Laws and guidance that goes with them, and clarifications. And then there is the preamble and the introduction, which includes the references to the spirit of the game.

The spirit of the game is what gets lost though. If the ball had brushed Haaland's arm en route to the goal, it would not have been a goal. The strict laws would supercede the spirit of the game, and that isn't right in my view.

How can the spirit of the game even be applied, given that the Laws are so prescriptive? In the olden days, with proper good referees like Keith Hackett, Neil Midgeley et al, it used to be called common sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.