VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No it wouldn't.

Until the ball has fully crossed the line, it's not a goal. If it touches Haaland's arm or hand before it crosses the line it's automatically ruled out. It would be a bizarre situation, given that he's in the goal at the time, but it's a very simple rule. Handball by a goalscorer, even if accidental, rules out the goal.
Dermot just confirmed it would have been ruled out had it brushed his elbow.

I’m at a disadvantage, as I’m just going off that still posted and haven’t seen any TV yet. It certainly looks pretty close to his elbow and not yet over the line from that though.

But on a general point, what you describe as them desperately trying to rule it at, just sounds like them following the correct protocol. They’d first check if there was a handball as if there was, everything else would be irrelevant. When they’ve ruled that out, they go back and check there was nothing else untoward.

I think they’re all taking that little bit more time since the Liverpool, Tottering game.
@Stephen230 I think you are right about taking more time after Spurs v Liverpool but my other worry is sky and their idiots. They constantly undermine Var and the refs. They need the controversy to keep people interested but that causes its own problems. Obviously in the above match that was an awful mistake but if you listen to Carragher yesterday he has convinced the half wits watching that City were gifted a penalty by Var. What load of bollocks. The ref gave it so it has to be a clear and obvious error for var to intervene. There wasn't but they, sky, are clearly undermining the refs/var purely for entertainment. That's wrong.

fans were going mental, celebrating wildly after every goal today in what was one of the best PL games i've ever seen.
And how much better could it have been without the var delays?
The Premier League reported that 82 per cent of decisions were correct in the season before VAR was introduced, rising to 94 per cent being correct in 2019/20.

would have thought it has increased more now more has evolved.
Sorry Mark but that proves rock-all. A link to the study and methods used would be much more helpful

@Stephen230 I think you are right about taking more time after Spurs v Liverpool but my other worry is sky and their idiots. They constantly undermine Var and the refs. They need the controversy to keep people interested but that causes its own problems. Obviously in the above match that was an awful mistake but if you listen to Carragher yesterday he has convinced the half wits watching that City were gifted a penalty by Var. What load of bollocks. The ref gave it so it has to be a clear and obvious error for var to intervene. There wasn't but they, sky, are clearly undermining the refs/var purely for entertainment. That's wrong.
We wouldn't have this shit if it wasn't for skysports trial by television which they went all-in on pre var

Sky news runs the country and sky sports runs football, that’s what they want

Going back to that Rashford decision last season, what's just been posted on the BBC site in the 'Officials Mic'd Up' discussions.

Fulham 0-1 Man Utd (disallowed McTominay goal)
It's decided that, because Harry Maguire was challenging an opponent for the ball, that he was involved from the free kick and it needed an on-field review.
The fact that he didn't make contact with the ball is not relevant, the attempt meant he interfered with play

So, what's the difference between them?

Going back to that Rashford decision last season, what's just been posted on the BBC site in the 'Officials Mic'd Up' discussions.

Fulham 0-1 Man Utd (disallowed McTominay goal)
It's decided that, because Harry Maguire was challenging an opponent for the ball, that he was involved from the free kick and it needed an on-field review.
The fact that he didn't make contact with the ball is not relevant, the attempt meant he interfered with play

So, what's the difference between them?
Mainly that they learned from our rubbish decision and have been largely consistent with it since.

It doesn’t ease our pain/annoyance, however.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.