VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Without VAR he wouldn’t have given a pen. Farcical.

View attachment 116543
Easy when you have a still frame to study at leisure
Refs on the whole do a good job, to actually be in position to see incidents is an achievement
Yes this looks ridiculous and of course it is but how good would we be in a similar situation The Police when comparing witness statements are usually no better informed as people see things differently

I'm firmly in the Shearer camp. Get rid of it.

The fans wanted it as we saw it as a way to improve football fairness. It's been an experiment that hasn't worked, it's caused more controversy than it has ended and made the game worse. It is open to manipulation and has been. Get rid of it, keep the goalline technology, revise penalty laws regarding unintentional handballs.

Oh and scrap the extra stoppage time law whilst you're at it. Players already play enough football every season, they don't need these additional minutes every game.

I'm firmly in the Shearer camp. Get rid of it.

The fans wanted it as we saw it as a way to improve football fairness. It's been an experiment that hasn't worked, it's caused more controversy than it has ended and made the game worse. It is open to manipulation and has been. Get rid of it, keep the goalline technology, revise penalty laws regarding unintentional handballs.

Oh and scrap the extra stoppage time law whilst you're at it. Players already play enough football every season, they don't need these additional minutes every game.
40 minute matches, official time keeper and clock stops when out of play.
Time wasting is an even bigger issue than VAR imho and I ain’t a fan of VAR

If we started a new season without VAR I would give it about two weeks before everyone agreed it needs to be brought back. A combination of incompetent and deliberately biased officials will make this inevitable. VAR is shit but unfortunately it’s better than the alternative.

I have noticed that at the end of the first half the ref always adds three minutes, regardless of how much stoppage time has actually taken place, it is always three minutes. And it seems that at ninety minutes it is at the ref's discretion how many minutes extra are played. It's farcical, the whole refereeing set-up in this country is a joke.

You get someone who is new to the sport, just getting into it and trying to understand what you can and what you can't do, they are going to one game where a defender handles the ball and concedes a penalty. The next day another defender handles the ball and the ref waves play on as if nothing has happened.
When you consider what is at stake, how much money is involved, and the millions a club will lose with relegation, all that depends on the whim of one man, how he personally interprets an incident. And if anybody dares to question his decision making they are accused of doubting his integrity.

Ridiculous.

If we started a new season without VAR I would give it about two weeks before everyone agreed it needs to be brought back. A combination of incompetent and deliberately biased officials will make this inevitable. VAR is shit but unfortunately it’s better than the alternative.

I really would love them to scrap it just to see the reaction after a few weeks when so many ridiculous decisions are being made, would be the most blatant clear offsides and penalties all being allowed to stand.

And yes I do give referees the benefit of the doubt, impossible job for them with the speed of the game, hostile crowds and players appealing for everything and cheating all over the field. They clearly need help.

I have noticed that at the end of the first half the ref always adds three minutes, regardless of how much stoppage time has actually taken place, it is always three minutes. And it seems that at ninety minutes it is at the ref's discretion how many minutes extra are played. It's farcical, the whole refereeing set-up in this country is a joke.

You get someone who is new to the sport, just getting into it and trying to understand what you can and what you can't do, they are going to one game where a defender handles the ball and concedes a penalty. The next day another defender handles the ball and the ref waves play on as if nothing has happened.
When you consider what is at stake, how much money is involved, and the millions a club will lose with relegation, all that depends on the whim of one man, how he personally interprets an incident. And if anybody dares to question his decision making they are accused of doubting his integrity.

Ridiculous.
And now we have gimps sat at a TV monitor who get the exact same decisions incorrect or disregard a legitimate goal because a toenail is offside. Offside used to mean "an advantage". Where is the advantage at someone being a kneecap offside? Where is the benefit to the game for stopping play for five minutes working that out?

Drawing lines and figuring out the minute details of how the red line is juuuuuuuuuuuuust slightly ahead of the blue line. If you went back through history there would be tens of thousands of goals that should now all be disregarded when placed under the same "offside eyelash" advantage scrutiny. They've gone OTT with it.

So either scrap VAR entirely or apply a level of leniency regarding the offside rule in the VAR era. I only ever wanted it for goal line clearences disputes.

How could Oliver not see that??? I mean he's looking straight at the incident.
I do wonder if the referees would rather not give it and be sent over to change their mind, as opposed to giving it and being sent over to change their minds?
The first involves ‘not being certain’, the second involves getting it wrong..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.