VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Found this an interesting watch -

Bloody hell. Thought I was watching a rerun of the Golden Shot with Anne Aston for the offside.
For the penalty (which wasn’t one as far as I can see because the defender is trying to boot the ball as hard as he can) - why does the VAR man tell the ref he thinks it’s a pen, why not just leave it to the ref?

Look at this omni-shambles

Look at how many refs are giving subjective arguments - On where the offside lines should be drawn, on what is a penalty, on if it is offside... Its all guesswork.

Its like we now have 5 refs on the field, each with a different opinion. Crazy crazy crazy.

This is NOT the way football should be reffed.

Bloody hell. Thought I was watching a rerun of the Golden Shot with Anne Aston for the offside.
For the penalty (which wasn’t one as far as I can see because the defender is trying to boot the ball as hard as he can) - why does the VAR man tell the ref he thinks it’s a pen, why not just leave it to the ref?
Mostly because the VAR official has to believe that the referee has made an error before asking them to go to the screen.

The full force of studs impacting above the ankle made it a stonewall red card in today’s laws.

I’m not a fan of VAR and never wanted it implemented but the interesting thing with that one is it also shows to me how difficult the onfield refs have got it too. In real time, I don’t think any of those decisions are easy to spot. Pre VAR though I’m sure they’d have been criticised post game for it.

It’s such a tricky one as everyone seems to want more leniency or for things to be sped up unless it’s a decision affecting them.

Did they say “Bernie the bolt” when they’d drew the line?!

I’m not a fan of VAR and never wanted it implemented but the interesting thing with that one is it also shows to me how difficult the onfield refs have got it too. In real time, I don’t think any of those decisions are easy to spot. Pre VAR though I’m sure they’d have been criticised post game for it.

It’s such a tricky one as everyone seems to want more leniency or for things to be sped up unless it’s a decision affecting them.

The sending off is never even a foul in any other era. No way with him getting the ball first is any referee spotting that, however well positioned he is.

Even the VAR says it looks like a fair tackle on the first replay. Then changes his mind to reckless ( yellow card ) on the second replay and eventually settles on serious foul play ( red card) after a couple more looks.

It’s probably the right decision in the end. People will have different opinions whether reaching the right decision eventually is more important than putting up with what precedes it.

So we should all stop and wait for however long it takes?

Scrap it completely for all I care.

But if you’re going to have it, it seems a bit silly putting the officials under ridiculous time constraints, that will inevitably lead to more wrong calls.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.