VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I understood that the PL had said they would never show VAR images on the screens for fear of fan reactions.... that said, it still does not give proper explanation as to why scum n scouse don't have them.
I went back to the beginning, just before the introduction of Var. There was never a requirement for stadiums to have Var screens. (For the rags it meant losing seats so they were never going to do it.)
But yep, that's how Var was sold to the fans, screens would be used to explain the decision. Fuck me were gullible.

I can't find it now but, in either this thread or another, it was discussed why the rags and dippers were allowed not to have screens. @Stephen230 I think you were educating me :-)
I looked into when Var was set up. 2 things struck me. There is no rule insisting clubs have screens and therefore the rags and dippers are NOT being allowed to breach rules.
The second thing is worth noting.
The PL said the idea of having screens was that after a Var decision was made, it would be replayed on the screen and the decision explained to the fans. Ergh right, I wonder why they never started doing that.

If it’s the post I’m thinking of I said I tried to find some proof a while ago of what exactly the rule was.

But all I could find were loads of links to articles saying that the PL were planning on bringing in a rule making a big screen compulsory. But I couldn’t find anything that mentioned that they’d ever actually gone ahead with it.

On your second point, it has long been a rule, well before VAR, that clubs can not show anything that might be considered contentious or controversial on the screens. So that by definition would probably rule out most VAR calls.

I think Forest got fined last year for showing some dodgy pen given against them.

If it’s the post I’m thinking of I said I tried to find some proof a while ago of what exactly the rule was.

But all I could find were loads of links to articles saying that the PL were planning on bringing in a rule making a big screen compulsory. But I couldn’t find anything that mentioned that they’d ever actually gone ahead with it.

On your second point, it has long been a rule, well before VAR, that clubs can not show anything that might be considered contentious or controversial on the screens. So that by definition would probably rule out most VAR calls.

I think Forest got fined last year for showing some dodgy pen given against them.
I did send you an apology but I think it was in a thread that got pulled so it got lost. You are quite correct that there is no rule saying clubs must have screens and therefore despite what most of us thought, the rags are not getting a special exemption.
Re the Var screen showing the incident, that's what they said before implementation ....
21st December 2019 on the PL website and I quote....
'In the instance of a referee overturning a decision after consulting Var, a replay of the incident will be shown to supporters so they can see the reason for the overturn'

And yet it's never happened

I did send you an apology but I think it was in a thread that got pulled so it got lost. You are quite correct that there is no rule saying clubs must have screens and therefore despite what most of us thought, the rags are not getting a special exemption.
Re the Var screen showing the incident, that's what they said before implementation ....
21st December 2019 on the PL website and I quote....
'In the instance of a referee overturning a decision after consulting Var, a replay of the incident will be shown to supporters so they can see the reason for the overturn'

And yet it's never happened

I think I missed whatever it was you were apologising for. Or more likely forgotten. But thanks anyway.

I can’t actually see any of the big screens from my seat at home games. But at away games, yeah I can’t ever remember seeing any replays.

This referee explaining overturns is what they’ve been trialling at the Women’s World Cup I believe. Although I’ve not actually seen any of it.

It’s a bit something and nothing anyway. It’s pretty obvious when they point to their hand or the penalty spot or whatever, what they’re giving.

I think I missed whatever it was you were apologising for. Or more likely forgotten. But thanks anyway.

I can’t actually see any of the big screens from my seat at home games. But at away games, yeah I can’t ever remember seeing any replays.

This referee explaining overturns is what they’ve been trialling at the Women’s World Cup I believe. Although I’ve not actually seen any of it.

It’s a bit something and nothing anyway. It’s pretty obvious when they point to their hand or the penalty spot or whatever, what they’re giving.
From what I've seen it's not explaining the decision it's just the decision.
E.g. "after consulting var hand ball penalty" which I guess is something but I have no idea if the intention is to explain and the refs haven't been told or if that's all they were told to say

From what I've seen it's not explaining the decision it's just the decision.
E.g. "after consulting var hand ball penalty" which I guess is something but I have no idea if the intention is to explain and the refs haven't been told or if that's all they were told to say
I would also imagine that English not always being the first language for the officials at a World tournament they decided to keep things as simple as possible.

Football weekend is upon us.
Of course there is going to be a couple of VAR controversies.
No doubt Kaz will be demanding an explanation from myself.
So instead of reasoned debate and a rational reply that will just fall on deaf ears and get ignored or be accused of being a WUM.

I’ll just respond ‘outrageous,it’s all corrupt!’ Hope that satisfies.

Football weekend is upon us.
Of course there is going to be a couple of VAR controversies.
No doubt Kaz will be demanding an explanation from myself.
So instead of reasoned debate and a rational reply that will just fall on deaf ears and get ignored or be accused of being a WUM.

I’ll just respond ‘outrageous,it’s all corrupt!’ Hope that satisfies.

Finally ...... :)

But I bet you won't be able to hold yourself back. In fact, I would miss it if you didn't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.