VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So the 99% of people who are sensible will understand it, and the 1% will be exactly the same as they would if we had current VAR, no VAR or VAR with a margin?

Sign me up.

"How do we keep the most one-eyed conspiratorial demented people in society happy" isn't any kind of way to go about making rules.

You obviously have more faith in the ability of football fans to be sensible than I do. Which is good, I suppose.

Semi-automated offsides and goal-line technology, yep. Keep them.

VAR, though? Nope. Just get rid. It's not made anything better and it turns out referees are correct just as often in real time as they are with a screen to help them.

Bin it.

It's strange that video technology works perfectly well in rugby union, rugby league, cricket and tennis but in football it's a total mess. Is this just a reflection of how badly the F.A. and the Premier League are running the game?
No. It's a reflection of how totally different football is to the other sports you mention.

I voted on the fence, VAR is a great tool, it is being used by incompetent Muppets. Should also not be used for offsides in such a minute level of detail, if a player's toe is offside he should be onside, they should change it to being clear daylight again and then use VAR for that. With that in mind, sort the muppets out and the tool will be fine.

If the trade off between the sheer unadulterated joy of celebrating a goal is a 14% less accurately refereed game then it's a trade off I'm very willing to take.

Can this be a reminder for when a ridiculous dive is awarded as penalty against you, when a ref points to the spot because he spotted a 50/50 tussle, when a clear offside goal is scored against you, when a sickening challenge is not spotted by the officials... it's easy to say in hindsight that you can accept the trade off but the uproar and anger will be off the scale towards the officials when/if VAR is scrapped.

Can this be a reminder for when a ridiculous dive is awarded as penalty against you, when a ref points to the spot because he spotted a 50/50 tussle, when a clear offside goal is scored against you, when a sickening challenge is not spotted by the officials... it's easy to say in hindsight that you can accept the trade off but the uproar and anger will be off the scale towards the officials when/if VAR is scrapped.
Absolutely. All of this happened and never once dampened my love of football prior to 2019. I love football, for all these flaws, for all the previous & future frustrations - but when they add something that stops the only thing that matters in football - the immediate and visceral celebration of a goal - that's when my love could be lessened. And i don't want that and as I said, it's a trade off i'm willing to take.

Uproar and anger has always been part of the game. Is now. And always will be. Not sure I ever get that.

Uproar and anger has always been part of the game. Is now. And always will be. Not sure I ever get that.

Sadly true. just depressing thought to go back to watching every game and the main talk is the officials decisions and all the anger that comes with it. I know VAR is throwing out similar but VAR has a chance to progress, to tweak and improve - the old way doesn't.

Said it before - it's the people not the technology. They don't seem too worked up about it on the continent.

I don't believe Webb when he says they sit down after the weekend to feedback. It's just a back slapping process, otherwise the inconsistencies would be addressed. The same mistakes that happen on the field happen with VAR because its the same people doing both jobs. The problem is the people themselves.

I agree with the other point. Large sections of the media will debate correct decisions anyway, and claim a mistake was made - our own classic being Spitty and the rag claiming that Mane jumping and lifting his leg 8 foot off the ground connecting with Eddie's cheek, not being a sending off.

Ah, you mean like the old days.
All of those things you mention happened pre var and were part of the game.
Now we have var they still happen, and this riles more people because we were told that it would stop.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.