VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Their intention is that VAR will intervene less not more. They are raising the bar even higher and intend for more subjective referees decisions to stand than currently is the case.
Clearly wrong is someone else re refereeing there game. It’s not a tool for the ref, it is reffing by committee. Some people may prefer that - I am pointing out that it was not what was postulated when VAR was introduced

Clearly wrong is someone else re refereeing there game. It’s not a tool for the ref, it is reffing by committee. Some people may prefer that - I am pointing out that it was not what was postulated when VAR was introduced

If the VAR intervening when the referee has made a clearly wrong decision is not what the whole thing is about, I’m honestly not sure what you think the original use of a VAR was intended to do?

If the VAR intervening when the referee has made a clearly wrong decision is not what the whole thing is about, I’m honestly not sure what you think the original use of a VAR was intended to do?
VAR was said to be a tool to help the match referee make better decisions. The VAR team overturning something as clearly wrong isn't this - it is a group of people making a decision. I honestly don't think it is the best way to use VAR. It should be a tool that the ref (singular) - as sole arbiter of games - gets to use to help them make better decisions.

This article is helpful in terms of what I understand the case for the introduction of VAR was:

"VAR was conceived as part of an ambitious project conducted by The Royal Netherlands Football Association (KNVB) called Refereeing 2.0. Its aim? To reinvent refereeing. "With all the 4G and Wi-Fi in stadia today, the referee is the only person who can’t see exactly what is happening and he’s actually the only one who should," says Lukas Brud, IFAB secretary at the International Football Association (IFAB). "We knew we had to protect referees from making mistakes that everyone can see immediately." Bold section relevant.

The "clearly wrong" clarification undermines the ref and exacerbates the already blurred boundaries of VAR. You saw that from the arsenal decision at the weekend. It is rare that a ref sticks with the decision they have made when sent to a monitor but in this case Oliver wouldn't have had any say on it under the new rules if the VAR team had of overturned it, which it appears they would have given the prevalence of overturns when refs get sent to monitors.

As I say, I don't personally think that is right. If others want to argue that a team of 5 or 6 people should make some form of consensus decision to get things right, then fine. But the new system doesn't even do that as it actually excludes the onfield ref. Their view is irrelevant.

It is rare that a ref sticks with the decision they have made when sent to a monitor but in this case Oliver wouldn't have had any say on it under the new rules if the VAR team had of overturned it…

I don’t know what you’re referring to with the ‘new rules’?

The only changes I’ve heard proposed come from a report in The Daily Mail that suggests their sources have heard that Premier League clubs will be pushing for better communication within the stadium. And for PGMOL to open up applications from overseas referees. Then there was a report in The Times that they are going to instruct VARs to let more onfiejd decisions stand, using a higher bar before they get involved.

None of this involves fundamental rule changes to VAR, which must come from FIFA via IFAB.

The overriding number one principle of VAR is that they are there to advise, not overrule. Where have you seen it suggested that a VAR can instruct a referee to change his decision against his will?

I don’t know what you’re referring to with the ‘new rules’?

The only changes I’ve heard proposed come from a report in The Daily Mail that suggests their sources have heard that Premier League clubs will be pushing for better communication within the stadium. And for PGMOL to open up applications from overseas referees. Then there was a report in The Times that they are going to instruct VARs to let more onfiejd decisions stand, using a higher bar before they get involved.

None of this involves fundamental rule changes to VAR, which must come from FIFA via IFAB.

The overriding number one principle of VAR is that they are there to advise, not overrule. Where have you seen it suggested that a VAR can instruct a referee to change his decision against his will?
I think you do know what I'm referring to in terms of the "new rules" as you've correctly identified the "higher bar" point from the Times, which by definition is clearly and obviously (if you'll pardon the pun!) "new" as it is "higher" and therefore different than the current position.

We will see how it is interpreted but if you are suggesting that the referee won't, at the very least, be under massive pressure to change his decision when people in a room with replays say he is "clearly wrong" then, well, I'm surprised you think that to be honest.

Which takes me back to the point of the whole point of VAR being introduced on the premise that it was a tool to help the onfield ref, "the only person who should see [everything that happens on the field]" to paraphrase the IFAB secretary, subtly being lost. I presume you accept that point now that I've demonstrated it?

I can only repeat that if you think that is a good thing and want to defend decision making by committee (potentially not involving the onfield ref, as I suspect the "clearly wrong" thing will lead to) then fine. I don't agree.

Refs have a really tough job. We should help them, not undermine them. If they ask to see footage then show it them without comment to allow them to solidify their view. If there's something that a VAR crew think the ref might benefit from seeing again to solidify their view, then ditto. This would allow VAR to honour the important, historic role of the ref, improve the standard of decision making, and the enhance the confidence of the officials themselves.

I think you do know what I'm referring to in terms of the "new rules" as you've correctly identified the "higher bar" point from the Times, which by definition is clearly and obviously (if you'll pardon the pun!) "new" as it is "higher" and therefore different than the current position.

We will see how it is interpreted but if you are suggesting that the referee won't, at the very least, be under massive pressure to change his decision when people in a room with replays say he is "clearly wrong" then, well, I'm surprised you think that to be honest.

Which takes me back to the point of the whole point of VAR being introduced on the premise that it was a tool to help the onfield ref, "the only person who should see [everything that happens on the field]" to paraphrase the IFAB secretary, subtly being lost. I presume you accept that point now that I've demonstrated it?

I can only repeat that if you think that is a good thing and want to defend decision making by committee (potentially not involving the onfield ref, as I suspect the "clearly wrong" thing will lead to) then fine. I don't agree.

Refs have a really tough job. We should help them, not undermine them. If they ask to see footage then show it them without comment to allow them to solidify their view. If there's something that a VAR crew think the ref might benefit from seeing again to solidify their view, then ditto. This would allow VAR to honour the important, historic role of the ref, improve the standard of decision making, and the enhance the confidence of the officials themselves.

Time will tell but I think you’re reading too much in to this very slight change of wording mate.

I’m not even sure where The Times have got their info from as it’s subscription only. But assuming they’re correct and the Premier League VARs are going to be told to higher the bar slightly before they recommend an onfield review, I don’t see it changing much.

It certainly won’t be true that the referee won’t have the option to stick with his original decision.

Will the higher bar make him question himself a little more if he’s considering sticking with it? I suppose it’s possible. But the option is always there, if he’s convinced he’s right.

I see Wenger is pushing ahead with a proposal on the offside rule. He wants there to be clear daylight between the defender and attacker before it constitutes offside. This could be another recipe for controversy.

I see Wenger is pushing ahead with a proposal on the offside rule. He wants there to be clear daylight between the defender and attacker before it constitutes offside. This could be another recipe for controversy.
Wouldn't affect us too much as it already happens evert game, but I'd predict the main issue with this would be that even more defenders would go for a low block tactic whenever they are out of possession against every team they play.

For me, the easy change to the offside law is simply using the standing foot. If your standing foot is ahead of the defender’s, then you're offside. It's easy to measure as it's a fixed point on the grass, and more accurate than drawing lines from the mythical end of the shoulder sleeve they currently try to do.

Add in a thicker line to cater for the frame rate issues when pausing the action and it would be fairer. Still have the issue of when the VAR pauses the action though, if you play in red the ball is still firmly on the foot, play in blue and the ball has left the foot before they pause.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.