VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Part of me feels they knew it was handball when it happened but purposely left it for VAR to overturn in order highlight its importance.

No way both the ref and linesman didn't see it or the VAR official immediately call it handball over comms watching it in real-time but it provided a timely spotlight/showcase moment for why we need VAR.
The worry of returning to a non-VAR world is that they did not see it. I'm not sure where the referee was - the clips I've watched he is not in view - which puts him a good way outside the penalty area - looking through all the players in the box - whilst the linesman is doing the same from the touchline. You would hope that between them they spot it - but they didn't.

I've said elsewhere that I think PL referees when uncertain are waiting for VAR to make a decision for them, whereas earlier in their career they would have made some decisions by instinct. The instinct of many of us was that something was not right - but is that a good enough reason to give/not give what might have been a crucial goal?

I lean towards keeping VAR - but I want it to be quicker, and I want it to be transparent - so like in Rugby, Referees should be explaining the decision making process in real time.

The worry of returning to a non-VAR world is that they did not see it. I'm not sure where the referee was - the clips I've watched he is not in view - which puts him a good way outside the penalty area - looking through all the players in the box - whilst the linesman is doing the same from the touchline. You would hope that between them they spot it - but they didn't.

I've said elsewhere that I think PL referees when uncertain are waiting for VAR to make a decision for them, whereas earlier in their career they would have made some decisions by instinct. The instinct of many of us was that something was not right - but is that a good enough reason to give/not give what might have been a crucial goal?

I lean towards keeping VAR - but I want it to be quicker, and I want it to be transparent - so like in Rugby, Referees should be explaining the decision making process in real time.

In a VAR world all of this shit STILL happened.

In a VAR world all of this shit STILL happened.
I know - and whether you have VAR or not you will not irridicate certain biases and pressures. I'm not into the conspiracy narratives - but I do know that Anfield generates enormous pressure on officials and it's no surprise that the only win we have there was in an empty stadium.

But if you can cut out the mistakes that are made because referees don't/can't see everything (like the West Ham handball on Sunday) - then you are part way towards acceptance of the decisions that they do come to. It's not the whole answer, it could be a lot better, and there will always be decisions that we are going to disagree with - but such is life.

According to the Times, PGMOL's solution for next season is for VAR to only intervene when the referee's decision is 'clearly wrong.'

As opposed to the current threshold of a 'clear and obvious error'.

Now I know they have some real geniuses working over at PGMOL, but to my understanding of the English language, that's the same fucking thing.

Either they're stupid, or they think everyone else is. Or both.

Putting language aside, why are they learning the wrong lessons again? Having VAR intervene even less won't make anyone happy. All the arguments against it will still apply, you'll just be making more errors.
So basically the VAR team now re referees games. This wasn’t what we were promised and is a bad development. Why don’t they sit down with fan player and manager groups and just build something better?

So basically the VAR team now re referees games. This wasn’t what we were promised and is a bad development. Why don’t they sit down with fan player and manager groups and just build something better?

Their intention is that VAR will intervene less not more. They are raising the bar even higher and intend for more subjective referees decisions to stand than currently is the case.

I don't want it scrapped but it has to be improved. It either needs full disclosure by being communicated as it is in rugby and cricket, or go the UEFA way and you don't see replays you just get an automated offside pop up with no idea where the lines were drawn and no Twitter bots whinging.

That West Ham blatant handball goal was given on Sunday, so we need a review system in place.

I don't want it scrapped but it has to be improved. It either needs full disclosure by being communicated as it is in rugby and cricket, or go the UEFA way and you don't see replays you just get an automated offside pop up with no idea where the lines were drawn and no Twitter bots whinging.

That West Ham blatant handball goal was given on Sunday, so we need a review system in place.
What a finish that was as well.
Can see the rule makers rethinking the handball rule soon after the ref allowed that goal against us.
Teams can score with their hands if playing against City might be the way forward for Prem to try and give other teams a chance of the title.

According to the Times, PGMOL's solution for next season is for VAR to only intervene when the referee's decision is 'clearly wrong.'

As opposed to the current threshold of a 'clear and obvious error'.

Now I know they have some real geniuses working over at PGMOL, but to my understanding of the English language, that's the same fucking thing.

Either they're stupid, or they think everyone else is. Or both.

Putting language aside, why are they learning the wrong lessons again? Having VAR intervene even less won't make anyone happy. All the arguments against it will still apply, you'll just be making more errors.

If we're being pedantic, the ref could make an error, but the decision still be arguably correct.

For example, a handball where the ref says he doesn't think it hit the hand. VAR could see that it hit the hand, which is a "clear and obvious error", but, even if they would have given it, unless it's one where there's going to be no debate, it's not "clearly wrong".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.