VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wouldn't affect us too much as it already happens evert game, but I'd predict the main issue with this would be that even more defenders would go for a low block tactic whenever they are out of possession against every team they play.

For me, the easy change to the offside law is simply using the standing foot. If your standing foot is ahead of the defender’s, then you're offside. It's easy to measure as it's a fixed point on the grass, and more accurate than drawing lines from the mythical end of the shoulder sleeve they currently try to do.

Add in a thicker line to cater for the frame rate issues when pausing the action and it would be fairer. Still have the issue of when the VAR pauses the action though, if you play in red the ball is still firmly on the foot, play in blue and the ball has left the foot before they pause.

It would affect everybody. Hugely. You’re talking about a massive shift in advantage to the attacking team here. Not for me.

Your other suggestions will be redundant in the Premier League at least, when they finally get round to implementing a version of Semiautomated at some point next season. But neither foot is often on the ground anyway when people are running.

There’s a whole bunch of end of season VAR related stats on the ESPN website today.

I’ve not had time to have a proper look at them yet. But one that jumped out and surprised me involved the two referees undoubtedly considered the top two refs.

Michael Oliver: 24 games as referee. 26 as a VAR.

Antony Taylor: 27 games as referee. 0 as a VAR.

I’ll try and find out why that might be.

There’s a whole bunch of end of season VAR related stats on the ESPN website today.

I’ve not had time to have a proper look at them yet. But one that jumped out and surprised me involved the two referees undoubtedly considered the top two refs.

Michael Oliver: 24 games as referee. 26 as a VAR.

Antony Taylor: 27 games as referee. 0 as a VAR.

I’ll try and find out why that might be.
My guess is that in VAR training they recognised that Taylor would sooner accidentally set the booth on fire than properly work the computers.

This rule change would probably be slightly more beneficial to attackers - which is how offside used to be. Don't see much wrong with that tbh as both teams have attackers, so any benefit/advantage applies equally to both teams. I think we read a bit too much into the impact this would have on the game - sure, players look along the line when deciding to make their runs, but we talk about the speed and reaction times as if they're on starting blocks waiting for a pistol shot. They're athletes, but response times vary so much, depending on the position of the attacker when the ball is received, the direction he's facing, the surety of his foot placement when he receives the ball etc. etc.

At present, the momentum of the player/s at the exact point at which the VAR freeze-frame is taken plays a huge part when close-call offside decisions are made. I think the 'daylight between players' rule may alleviate 'some' of the current problems, and hopefully result in quicker VAR decision making. I'm not totally convinced, and don't think there'll ever be a perfect system, but I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented. I really can't see teams changing their style of play (more low-blocking etc.), as any slight advantage gained with this tactic would be countered by the slight advantage offered to the attackers by using the 'daylight between players' rule.

Appreciate that there is a poll at the top of the thread, but City Matters are undertaking some research on fans' thoughts on the VAR issue to lobby to the club. Given this is such a subjective decision, with no objective right answer, this feels like the correct approach.

The Premier League meeting is on Thursday this week, which means that the timescales are tighter than I would have liked. That said, I would like to get as broad a sample size as possible. Here is the link:

Appreciate that there is a poll at the top of the thread, but City Matters are undertaking some research on fans' thoughts on the VAR issue to lobby to the club. Given this is such a subjective decision, with no objective right answer, this feels like the correct approach.

The Premier League meeting is on Thursday this week, which means that the timescales are tighter than I would have liked. That said, I would like to get as broad a sample size as possible. Here is the link:

Alex can you ask about the matchday buses and are they continuing them?

BBC Sport understands Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham are among clubs who want to keep VAR, but are demanding that improvements are made.

strange when it was solely designed to benefit Man U and Liverpool only.

While not perfect scrapping it completely would be a massive step backwards. I don't think people remember how bad it used to be before VAR. As frustrating as the delays and subjective calls are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.