VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just like the current amateur referees which have to lug a bunch of cameras to a crappy field so they can set up VAR?
They really do have the crappiest excuses for things.

Not really. Games using a VAR aren’t playing to different laws of the game. It’s just using a different method to get to a decision.

Same as an amateur game won’t normally have linesman below a certain level.

What would happen if a Premier League club contested a VAR decision and just walked off, Manchester City in the OT derby for me had the right to walk off because a clear and obvious error was made by the officials, They even changed the rule afterwards but never changed the result,

Lucky for us Arsenal blew up in the run-in, But the 3 points dropped could have cost us the treble.
Somebody is going to walk off sooner rather than later because as I said, even 1 Point is now accountable to teams.

what did Manchester City have to lose in the derby if we walked off, We lost the game anyway,
but how bad would the Premier League look knowing nothing could be done because the rule is only a 3.0 lost and 3 points awarded to united,

VAR and the match officials need to be re-address and made accountable for mistakes because a sorry and a visit by the head of referees is not what VAR should be used for

What would happen if a Premier League club contested a VAR decision and just walked off, Manchester City in the OT derby for me had the right to walk off because a clear and obvious error was made by the officials, They even changed the rule afterwards but never changed the result,

Lucky for us Arsenal blew up in the run-in, But the 3 points dropped could have cost us the treble.
Somebody is going to walk off sooner rather than later because as I said, even 1 Point is now accountable to teams.

what did Manchester City have to lose in the derby if we walked off, We lost the game anyway,
but how bad would the Premier League look knowing nothing could be done because the rule is only a 3.0 lost and 3 points awarded to united,

VAR and the match officials need to be re-address and made accountable for mistakes because a sorry and a visit by the head of referees is not what VAR should be used for

Almost certainly forfeit the game and presumably a big fine.

Punishments are pretty much unlimited by rule, so wouldn’t surprise me if something like this did happen, if extra points were deducted on top.

Apparently semi-automated technology (SAOT) is not on the agenda and won't be coming to the PL anytime soon. Funny because Serie A introduced it in January after the World Cup.

Discussed and explained 1 minute in (turn closed captioning on)...

Apparently semi-automated technology (SAOT) is not on the agenda and won't be coming to the PL anytime soon. Funny because Serie A introduced it in January after the World Cup.

I am shocked. SHOCKED!

It was on the agenda. The Premier League were happy to go ahead and use it if the clubs wanted it. But they voted against.

Not really. Games using a VAR aren’t playing to different laws of the game. It’s just using a different method to get to a decision.

Same as an amateur game won’t normally have linesman below a certain level.
Interesting. I was thinking of var more like a different standard of measurement. I.e. a centimeter offside is offside rather than an inch (which could be caught in real time much easier than the proverbial toenail offaide)

Different measurement therefore different rule but I can see your point.

Interesting. I was thinking of var more like a different standard of measurement. I.e. a centimeter offside is offside rather than an inch (which could be caught in real time much easier than the proverbial toenail offaide)

Different measurement therefore different rule but I can see your point.

Obviously the more technology you’re using, the more accurately you’d like to think you’re going to arrive at decisions.

Goal line technology is similar. Not withstanding the odd glitch, most people seem happy that we can tell for a matter of fact if a ball crosses the line now. Whereas a referee in a park with no linesman is going to find it more difficult if he’s in a central position, 40 yards away.

But the fact remains they are both still working to the exact same laws of the game in judging if it’s a goal or not.

It was on the agenda. The Premier League were happy to go ahead and use it if the clubs wanted it. But they voted against.
Probably because there are certain clubs where the technology cannot be implemented, as we’ve seen on a number of occasions since it’s adoption.

Reactions: PPT

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.