VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t often bother with these threads but there’s something bothersome about PGMOL. Can’t quite figure out why but when I hear the referees communicate in football it sounds odd. Yet when I watch Rugby League/Union it sounds far more coherent and all around more professional.

I don’t often bother with these threads but there’s something bothersome about PGMOL. Can’t quite figure out why but when I hear the referees communicate in football it sounds odd. Yet when I watch Rugby League/Union it sounds far more coherent and all around more professional.
I think that’s because in those sports they know what they’re saying is being broadcast live. If that happens in football (and FWIW I think it should) then I suspect they’d adapt the way that they communicate.

For the sake of balance, they pointed out that 2 of those 3 decisions were indisputably correct. The Ake one is obviously a bit more subjective. Agree though that the Salah one should’ve also been highlighted during the discussion.

They did comprehensively back decisions that went against Arsenal, United and Liverpool too though, so I don’t think it’s quite the whitewash some are suggesting personally.
I found the programme enlightening in some respects.

Hopefully we'll hear audio from other refs such as Attwell and Dean in VAR in future.

Hooper and Salisbury seemed to be getting the flack in this one from their boss.

I think that’s because in those sports they know what they’re saying is being broadcast live. If that happens in football (and FWIW I think it should) then I suspect they’d adapt the way that they communicate.
Yep and they’d miraculously get to more correct decisions no doubt… Its a disgrace that its not transparent

I found the programme enlightening in some respects.

Hopefully we'll hear audio from other refs such as Attwell and Dean in VAR in future.

Hooper and Salisbury seemed to be getting the flack in this one from their boss.
Yeah, too early to judge on the basis of one programme. Will be interesting to see what, if any, patterns emerge if it becomes a regular show. Still think the audio needs to be broadcast live though, as per other sports, if we’re to get proper transparency.

Will be interesting to see what, if any, patterns emerge if it becomes a regular show.
I think the pattern might turn out to be: Webb quickly says what he needs to in order to address the week's emerging PR issues, like the politically minded coward he is.

Yeah, too early to judge on the basis of one programme. Will be interesting to see what, if any, patterns emerge if it becomes a regular show. Still think the audio needs to be broadcast live though, as per other sports, if we’re to get proper transparency.
I really don't see what FIFA's problem is with that. Would save a lot of crowd incitement over a controversial decision.

I find it enhances the sport when you are shown in real time the process.

I caught a Padel tournament earlier and their system was fully transparent. Hearing the team checking the call and speaking to the umpire, then explaining their reasoning the call was incorrect, along with acceptance from the players was refreshing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.