VAR Discussion Thread | 2024/25

No the assistant ref must raise his flag for offside. So everyone one supposedly knows what is happening and in case the coms system has gone down
That's what I thought. If you watch it, the lino doesn't raise the flag. In fact he switches the flag from his left to right hand and uses his left hand to point to the centre circle. He was also visible when Pep was celebrating and was then looking towards the Wolves dug out, but that's a good 20 seconds after the goal was scored. At no stage does the ref blow or indicate that the goal shouldn't stand, but neither does he point to the centre circle. I actually think this is the perfect case for the audio to be made public because the assumption is the on-field decision was no goal and I'm not convinced it was. It's almost like they were looking for a reason to disallow it, but every goal is checked anyway. As it is, they just look incompetent.

It's hard to disagree with that.

I said at the time it looked like they'd engineered that VAR situation to make it look like the system was working. Even in real-time everyone knew there was absolutely nothing wrong with our goal, borne out by the fact that none of their players complained when the ball hit the back of the net. Their manager only complained after it had gone to VAR. If the goal had been given on the field and it hadn't gone to VAR, I'm almost certain he wouldn't have complained.
That means Pigmol are not acting honestly.
If this was manipulation/dishonesty you can see why many of us want rid.

That's what I thought. If you watch it, the lino doesn't raise the flag. In fact he switches the flag from his left to right hand and uses his left hand to point to the centre circle. He was also visible when Pep was celebrating and was then looking towards the Wolves dug out, but that's a good 20 seconds after the goal was scored. At no stage does the ref blow or indicate that the goal shouldn't stand, but neither does he point to the centre circle. I actually think this is the perfect case for the audio to be made public because the assumption is the on-field decision was no goal and I'm not convinced it was. It's almost like they were looking for a reason to disallow it, but every goal is checked anyway. As it is, they just look incompetent.

There is one clip that shows the referee signalling and the assistant raising his flag simultaneously.

There’s no clock on the screen to pinpoint the exact time frame but going off other clips where they haven’t, it must be round about the 30 second mark.

It’ll be on the next “Mic’d Up” programme hopefully and clear up exactly what they were talking about for all that time.

Frolm what I have seen the lino didn't raise his flag. Or doesn't the need to anymore if he can do it verbally?
This is the VAR explainer guy. Always worth a read on a Sunday/Monday (it’s a thread if you click on the tweet)

Linesman conferred with the ref and said Silva was off but he couldn’t be sure he was interfering. Ref disallowed the goal as he initially thought Silva was in the way. VAR cleared it up and told the ref to watch on the monitor.

They knew it was a goal all the time. The onfield team deliberately disallowed the goal so that the VAR could come along and overturn the decision. This devious ploy serves three purposes.

1. It contributes a positive mark to this league table, to make it look like City are benefiting from VAR decisions.

2. It makes Attwell look good for spotting an error and recommending a review. This helps to pad his overall poor refereeing stats with some positivity, and at the same time reduces his unpopularity amongst City fans.

3. It makes Cavanagh look good for accepting his mistake and changing his decision.

It is a skillfully engineered scenario in which there are many winners, but no losers.
lol

So are people off the “VAR is against us” train now?

How do you come to that conclusion from that particular statistic?

That is just the net for/against number of "clear and obvious mistakes" made by referees which have been "corrected" by VAR. If you believe VAR is working perfectly, the only conclusion you can come to is that referees make more "clear and obvious mistakes" against City than most other clubs. Which, in itself, is a concern.

If you don't believe VAR is working perfectly then, without knowing the number of "clear and obvious mistakes" made by referees which you think have not been "corrected" by VAR, you can't conclude anything about how VAR is applied to different clubs. And that is completely subjective, as is the question of whether you believe VAR is working perfectly or not, really.

So, to answer your question, logically no.

How do you come to that conclusion from that particular statistic?

That is just the net for/against number of "clear and obvious mistakes" made by referees which have been "corrected" by VAR. If you believe VAR is working perfectly, the only conclusion you can come to is that referees make more "clear and obvious mistakes" against City than most other clubs. Which, in itself, is a concern.

If you don't believe VAR is working perfectly then, without knowing the number of "clear and obvious mistakes" made by referees which you think have not been "corrected" by VAR, you can't conclude anything about how VAR is applied to different clubs. And that is completely subjective, as is the question of whether you believe VAR is working perfectly or not, really.

So, to answer your question, logically no.
Click on the tweet thread and ask him.

This is the VAR explainer guy. Always worth a read on a Sunday/Monday (it’s a thread if you click on the tweet)

Linesman conferred with the ref and said Silva was off but he couldn’t be sure he was interfering. Ref disallowed the goal as he initially thought Silva was in the way. VAR cleared it up and told the ref to watch on the monitor.

Ok thanks. It still doesn't all add up. Surely the lino should have raised his flag, after all he can only see from his angle. Then he should have verbally told the ref he couldn't see if Silva was interfering.. At no stage, within normal parameters, did either the ref or lino indicate that the on-field decision was to disallow it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.