VAR Discussion Thread | 2024/25

Ok thanks. It still doesn't all add up. Surely the lino should have raised his flag, after all he can only see from his angle. Then he should have verbally told the ref he couldn't see if Silva was interfering.. At no stage, within normal parameters, did either the ref or lino indicate that the on-field decision was to disallow it.
According to the guy, he should only raise his flag (and did) after conferring with the ref that someone was stood offside, he couldn’t make the distinction that Silva was interfering, only that he was offside. Ref thought he was (knowing VAR would check either way). In all, it was ‘good process’ and VAR worked exactly as intended.

That's what I thought. If you watch it, the lino doesn't raise the flag. In fact he switches the flag from his left to right hand and uses his left hand to point to the centre circle. He was also visible when Pep was celebrating and was then looking towards the Wolves dug out, but that's a good 20 seconds after the goal was scored. At no stage does the ref blow or indicate that the goal shouldn't stand, but neither does he point to the centre circle. I actually think this is the perfect case for the audio to be made public because the assumption is the on-field decision was no goal and I'm not convinced it was. It's almost like they were looking for a reason to disallow it, but every goal is checked anyway. As it is, they just look incompetent.
VAR check all goals & I can only presume the linesman didn't flag because he wasn't offside before Stones header & probably communicated to Kavanagh about the so-called interference. Have VAR & the officials cocked up similar to dippers v Spurs by sending Kavanagh to the screen instead of just confirming that there was a VAR check after the goal & then confirming it once they had cleared Bernardo being offside.

Those officials with sticks that used to stand behind the net in CL games would have noticed that Bernardo wasn't in the goalkeeper's line of sight straight away.

Last edited:
According to the guy, he should only raise his flag (and did) after conferring with the ref that someone was stood offside, he couldn’t make the distinction that Silva was interfering, only that he was offside. Ref thought he was (knowing VAR would check either way). In all, it was ‘good process’ and VAR worked exactly as intended.
Thanks again. I wonder why it took so long to confer then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.