VAR (PL introduction 2019)

Does anyone else watch the A-League for an early morning football fix?
This season has been interesting (for me anyway) with the use of video to "help" the officials get a decision eventually correct (or not).
This morning's game had the baĺl in play for about 2 minutes while the video ref watched replays, then another minute+ before a dubious penalty and red card resulted.
Be careful what you wish for.

well if people are going to insist on applying it stupidly so it doesn't work properly, then yes of course it won't work.

Like using your washing machine as a shower.

Our League was amateurish at the best of times but now it has gone to a new level.

In theory it can only be positive but at the moment in practice operated by buffoons it's completely negative.

I think in time it will be great but getting there will be riddled with endless controversy.

Lukaku incident shows how technology will be used to nail certain teams and not others. Just another way for the corrultion to be enforced. It will be introduced once they iron out the wrinkles and work out how it can be best used to get the right resilt.

Lukaku incident shows how technology will be used to nail certain teams and not others. Just another way for the corrultion to be enforced. It will be introduced once they iron out the wrinkles and work out how it can be best used to get the right resilt.
This, VAR is useless when still used by the same biased and corrupt institutions.
The fact that scudamore admitted an 'under performing man united hurts the premier league' will show there will always be bias to them unless their worldwide brand completely deteriorates

Does anyone else watch the A-League for an early morning football fix?
This season has been interesting (for me anyway) with the use of video to "help" the officials get a decision eventually correct (or not).
This morning's game had the baĺl in play for about 2 minutes while the video ref watched replays, then another minute+ before a dubious penalty and red card resulted.
Be careful what you wish for.

I have already concluded that when VAR comes to the PL it will be one of the biggest cock-ups in world sport. Every other major sport has embraced it wholeheartedly and the goons 'trusted' with governing the game have dragged their feet for so long it's unbelievable. You only need to see what shambles is developing with the disciplinary committee findings re 'incidents' which they scrutinise. Vested interests will always overcome what the camera has recorded, and so it is thus!

VAR is being used in the Bundesliga this season and they have managed to screw it up by not defining properly when the VAR referee is allowed to interfere. The VAR is supposed to contact the actual ref in case of clearly erroneous decisions. The problem off course is that a clearly erroneous decision is not clearly defined, so it all becomes subjective and ends up feeling like more or less arbitrary to everybody. Also the refs have not been coached properly on it, so many seems to shy away from taking difficult decisions, instead pushing the responsibility to the VAR.

I'm not over-impressed with its use in rugby. There are an increasing number of delays whilst the ref refers decisions.

In the England Australia game they spent about 3 minutes trying decide if a ball had touched the line and was therefore out. In the event, it was still inconclusive and, if the administrators were so minded, they could have decided it either way.

So, without an awful lot more detail, it's a big "no" for me. Far too much scope for "discretion" as to when to use it and what to decide.

I'm not over-impressed with its use in rugby. There are an increasing number of delays whilst the ref refers decisions.

In the England Australia game they spent about 3 minutes trying decide if a ball had touched the line and was therefore out. In the event, it was still inconclusive and, if the administrators were so minded, they could have decided it either way.

So, without an awful lot more detail, it's a big "no" for me. Far too much scope for "discretion" as to when to use it and what to decide.

well yes, it needs to be clearly defined in so many respects, but the authorities don't really want it to work as it suits the status quo to have grey areas and uncertainty, so there are so many barriers that make it ineffective.

For example, allowing the VAR a maximum of 30 seconds to review any incident and if they can't reach a definitive conclusion then they stick with the original decision, would suffice imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.