VAR (PL introduction 2019)

my problem is that even if it had been in use for the Palace game, Moss may have been told to review it, trotted over to the sideline, had a pie, watched the footage and because he had other reasons for giving the pen would have still given it. Unless it's going to be like cricket where the on-field ref is told "you buggered it up, change your decision" then it's pointless, wouldn't have changed anything other than they would have sent Otamendi off v Spurs and done Bernardo for being fouled against Burnley.

Note: The coms from video ref to referee is available to clubs. I think its after the event - but still it minimises the chance of bad decisions. Should do the same for assistant refs IMO.

Last edited:
I wonder if "hot spot" would work on fouls (where contact is made). It would be interesting to find out.

Last edited:
I'm all for it. It's ludicrous that for any televised game then anyone watching on live TV will usually see it from all possible angles within seconds and know what the facts are when the ref, players and fans at the game are the last to find out. The number of times I've been at City and messaged mates who are watching at home to find out what actually happened shows what a farce it's become.

It'll never be perfect but it should and surely will reduce the number of glaring errors. Also the fact it's there may well stop obvious diving and may make the ref ensure they make the correct decision first time or stop them guessing.

Everyone saying that controversy is part of the game are wrong IMO, it isn't, it may well be part of the culture but that's not the actual game at all. But we/they will still argue over it at times so actually some controversy remains, albeit to a lesser extent.

Win-Win.

then all contact is a foul.
No not at all.
If it worked it would improve the referees capability to stop diving an indicate if contact was made.
Contact only indicates that a dive is less likely. It still wont stop attacking players running into defenders, or consciously falling over after minimal contact, or hooking their legs around a defending player.

Note: The coms from video ref to referee is available to clubs. I think its after the event - but still it minimises the chance of bad decisions. Should do the same for assistant refs IMO.
To remove any suspicions the comms should be available to all live as per NFL/Rugby/cricket. The more the authorities resist it the more suspicious i become.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.