VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I interpret it correctly. In Ruben's case where do you think his arm should have been for it to be in a natural position. And let me state that it's my belief that defenders who run with their arms behind their backs are not running with their arms in a natural position.
You can state what you like. You interpret it in your own way, but that isn’t how referees have interpreted it for 2 years and continue not to.

If a defender’s hand is raised and the ball hits it without prior deflection, it will be given as a penalty.

You can state what you like. You interpret it in your own way, but that isn’t how referees have interpreted it for 2 years and continue not to.

If a defender’s hand is raised and the ball hits it without prior deflection, it will be given as a penalty.
Let's see shall we this season. The refs are interpreting the laws incorrectly, it's there in black and white. Did Ruben have his arm in an unnatural position and the answer is no. Therefore it shouldn't have been given as a penalty. In rugby when there is a potential blow to the head there is a series of questions the refs ask to ensure they reach the right decision, the same in cricket regarding LBW, yet in football it appears it's made up on the hoof and decisions change from one week to the next or in some cases during a game. VAR is a shamble and it needs a total overhaul for it to be used in the way the fans thought it would be. At the moment it's being used to aid and abet corruption and betting syndicates.

Let's see shall we this season. The refs are interpreting the laws incorrectly, it's there in black and white. Did Ruben have his arm in an unnatural position and the answer is no. Therefore it shouldn't have been given as a penalty. In rugby when there is a potential blow to the head there is a series of questions the refs ask to ensure they reach the right decision, the same in cricket regarding LBW, yet in football it appears it's made up on the hoof and decisions change from one week to the next or in some cases during a game. VAR is a shamble and it needs a total overhaul for it to be used in the way the fans thought it would be. At the moment it's being used to aid and abet corruption and betting syndicates.
We’re already seeing how it will unfold. The same as last season and the season before.

Well i think no matter how much training referees get to counter bias I do think it creeps through, its only natural.

And because of that, if it is one person taking decisions then ok, there might be some bias but probably not.

But if you have 6 or 7 people then the odds increase. Add to that the anonymity involved from the VAR team, the lack of kickback/scrutiny with major fuckups (or maybe just plain bias) like the non utd penalty then I think "Match Commanders" or anyone in that VAR room can affect the decisions.

I would love to hear the machinations of the decision making, I am assuming it is chaos with everyone having an input, or having an 'argument' on why a particular decision should or could be made.

Add to that I am a little paranoid when it comes to things that are hidden from us. Which is why they should, and will let us hear what's going on.

Thanks for honest reply , my opinion is that in no way do young referees get slowly adapted to being ‘biased towards Man U and Liverpool only. It’s pretty ludicrous!

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen some truly ridiculous decisions go there way - but I find when the ‘best’ clubs - Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc are constantly attacking and are in the oppositions half and penalty box majority of the game - then by nature they are going to get the majority of decisions

Maybe I’m blind to all this ‘corruption’ but I just see poor decisions given for and against teams all teams, I personally think it’s reduced with VAR and any contentious decision nowadays is amplified to the max - especially with social media

Last edited:
So you have no interest in any game that City aren’t playing, yet you come on here and chat passionately about the games you don’t watch?

Imagine how you could debate if you did watch the other games and have better context!
Leave it out, you are sounding like a WUM. We already have one of them on this thread, I thought you were better than that.

Leave it out, you are sounding like a WUM. We already have one of them on this thread, I thought you were better than that.
I just don’t see the point of howling at the moon about VAR.

It’s not going anywhere and makes sure more correct decisions are made than without it.

It’s not 100%, but any advance is better than none, surely?

Handballs aren’t about “clear errors”. There are guidelines that determine what is a penalty.

Dias had his arm raised, which made his body artificially bigger, therefore it was a penalty.

Fabinho’s wasn't for two reasons. He headed it onto his arm that was breaking his fall.

It wasn’t even fully looked at as we scored before the ball went out of play.
Fabinho's hand /arm was in a natural position when he was falling, ie trying to brak his fall, Dias's hand/arm was in a natural position when he was jumping, trying to get height. You can't get height with your arms down by your side.

Because we don't all scream and cry corruption at every chance - doesn't make us WUM's

Actually here for good honest debate and interested to hear all views, but that's hard when posters like yourself are just permanently angry, refuse to see any benefits and constantly fly off the handle when challenged

VAR is NOT a great system and far from perfect - but they are constantly looking at ways to improve officiating and taking positive steps each season - as we know, Football has so many gray areas in which officials and fans interpret different incidents so will always have contentious decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.