VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely there must be some guidelines for determining a deliberate action. Not looking? Accidental. Moving arm towards the ball? No? Accidental. Arm not in unusual position? Accidental. No time to react? Accidental.

That's my other pet peeve. Referees have guidelines to work under, but no-one knows what they are. Make them public. Let's hear them discuss their application. I am guessing 75% of what fans think are mistakes are actually referees applying guidelines properly but how the hell do we know that?
It does seem that handballs on the continent are given for most touches of the ball on the arm, whether accidental or not.

There seems to be less tolerance than in the PL.

Reading the laws, you can strongly argue that both handballs last night weren’t fouls and probably wouldn’t have been in the PL.

The only good thing I can say about the ref is that he was consistent. He was crap at interpreting the laws though. That isn’t VAR’s fault though.

Did you watch the game last night ? If so talk me through all the visits to the monitor , how long or short a time and was the decisions correct by the laws of handball , ta

Not sure i should waste my time responding to you but here i go - Nope, I didn't see it - only responded to being tagged in, fully accept VAR and the officials made another shambles of it, no surprise and it will be far from the last time and it's happened a good few times this season for and against West Ham

All I argue is I believe Refs should have some form of tech help to have a second look if he is unsure or has missed something blatant - that is all. hardly a crime to want that is it? equally it's fine for anyone to dislike VAR, There's many aspects of it i don't like

Implementing it isn't so easy, as we're seeing.

we could completely scrap it and go back to how it was, yet the first blatant no contact dive by Salah against City or a player a foot or two well offside against you and it will be pages and pages of corruption and outrage, so I firmly believe going back to square 1 isn't the way to go

Ideally the discussion on here should just be questioning and working on progress in getting decisions better - rather than emotional outrage and abuse being hurled about - but for many, where's the fun in that.

Not sure i should waste my time responding to you but here i go - Nope, I didn't see it - only responded to being tagged in, fully accept VAR and the officials made another shambles of it, no surprise and it will be far from the last time and it's happened a good few times this season for and against West Ham

All I argue is I believe Refs should have some form of tech help to have a second look if he is unsure or has missed something blatant - that is all. hardly a crime to want that is it? equally it's fine for anyone to dislike VAR, There's many aspects of it i don't like

we could completely scrap it and go back to how it was, yet the first blatant no contact dive by Salah against City or a player a foot or two well offside against you and it will be pages and pages of corruption and outrage, so I firmly don't believe that's not the way to go

Ideally the discussion on here should just be questioning and working on progress in getting decisions better - rather than emotional outrage and abuse being hurled about - but for many, where's the fun in that.
Interpretation and review are all part of var protocols. Wish people would stop excluding decisions by referees and others from the process. That is var!!

Last edited:
I think it was the red card visit to the monitor that he looked for ages , turned away and went to walk off but half turned back , he wasnt sure, god knows what was being said to him in his ear

Probably "You had one job" I've no issues with the red, it was pretty much straight forward but i still find that Rodri disallowed goal hard to digest

we could completely scrap it and go back to how it was, yet the first blatant no contact dive by Salah against City or a player a foot or two well offside against you and it will be pages and pages of corruption and outrage, so I firmly believe going back to square 1 isn't the way to go

Stop reading at nope didnt watch it , thought not

It does seem that handballs on the continent are given for most touches of the ball on the arm, whether accidental or not.

There seems to be less tolerance than in the PL.

Reading the laws, you can strongly argue that both handballs last night weren’t fouls and probably wouldn’t have been in the PL.

The only good thing I can say about the ref is that he was consistent. He was crap at interpreting the laws though. That isn’t VAR’s fault though.
Couple of things.

Different guidelines for different associations is just idiotic, especially in a pan-European competition. Unless UEFA have there own guidelines as well, which is even more complicated. Surely it's easier and better for consistency to have guidelines mandated by IFAB?

In reality, the decisions last night were a VAR problem. No-one on the pitch or in the ground saw either as handball except the VAR. Once VAR got involved, the decisions were pretty much made. It would take a brave referee to keep to his original (non-) decision if his mate on VAR refers him to the monitor. He has to work with these guys the rest of the year.

Despite the outcry in the Prem, clubs elsewhere are voting for it.

' VAR to be introduced into the Scottish Premiership.

clubs from the Premiership and lower divisions in Scotland voted in favour of the system being introduced into the top flight

After the resolution passed in April, there has been little talk on an official basis as to when VAR will be brought into place.

However, that now appears to have been fast-tracked, with fresh reports stating that the date could come as early as the end of October.'

Couple of things.

Different guidelines for different associations is just idiotic, especially in a pan-European competition. Unless UEFA have there own guidelines as well, which is even more complicated. Surely it's easier and better for consistency to have guidelines mandated by IFAB?

In reality, the decisions last night were a VAR problem. No-one on the pitch or in the ground saw either as handball except the VAR. Once VAR got involved, the decisions were pretty much made. It would take a brave referee to keep to his original (non-) decision if his mate on VAR refers him to the monitor. He has to work with these guys the rest of the year.
I agree wholeheartedly that the LOTG should be carried out as consistently as possible, but they never have been. Remember baconface saying his team had to get to grips with the different refereeing in European competition?

Within the same competition, there will be different ways that games are refereed, mostly by which country the ref is from.

What we aren’t privy to is what the ref and VAR chatted about before the game. Maybe the ref wanted to see all handballs etc. or you could be right and VAR shaped the game. The ref could have said no to both situations though.

Despite the outcry in the Prem, clubs elsewhere are voting for it.

' VAR to be introduced into the Scottish Premiership.

clubs from the Premiership and lower divisions in Scotland voted in favour of the system being introduced into the top flight

After the resolution passed in April, there has been little talk on an official basis as to when VAR will be brought into place.

However, that now appears to have been fast-tracked, with fresh reports stating that the date could come as early as the end of October.'
Who gives a fuck about the Scottish leagues they are of no interest to 99% of fans in England ..The problem with VAR is they need to make it universal one var for all of the domestic leagues and European competitions and stick with one set of rules/laws of the game ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.