VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve always stated I’d scrap VAR and go back to how it was if everyone could be happy with refs and Lino’s making the odd completely blind decision, guessing, players blatantly diving, goals scored even though they was well offside, off the ball horrendous tackles not seen etc

But I’ve a feeling would probably be more outrage now we know we could have technology assistance
You only have to look back the last couple of weeks at the Rags & City to see how certain teams are refereed differently. Mctominay (RED) & the dwarf (PEN) not given inexplicably the Ref (Even Dermot said it was a joke). Then the Alvarez offside, given straight away by a linesman who is under clear instructions to not flag unless its 100% a clear cut offside. Checked by VAR an incorrect disallowed goal then given.

Now only 1 of those 3 incorrect decisions were corrected and that's poor. And that leads to quite understandable frustration. But I'm adamant we'd (CITY) be much worse off without it. The Redshirts got away with murder for decades. VAR is our only hope of levelling that playing field, albeit' s far from perfect.

You only have to look back the last couple of weeks at the Rags & City to see how certain teams are refereed differently. Mctominay (RED) & the dwarf (PEN) not given inexplicably the Ref (Even Dermot said it was a joke). Then the Alvarez offside, given straight away by a linesman who is under clear instructions to not flag unless its 100% a clear cut offside. Checked by VAR an incorrect disallowed goal then given.

Now only 1 of those 3 incorrect decisions were corrected and that's poor. And that leads to quite understandable frustration. But I'm adamant we'd (CITY) be much worse off without it. The Redshirts got away with murder for decades. VAR is our only hope of levelling that playing field, albeit' s far from perfect.
The Alvarez offside played out correctly, given the linesman thought Foden was offside, but wasn’t 100%. Play carried on, it was checked and Foden was in fact onside and the goal therefore stood.

Can VAR ever be scrapped now? It’s like Pandora’s box. There would just be countless instances of ‘VAR would/wouldn’t have given that’.
I guess it could be dialled back to only deal with factual decisions like offside and ball out of play, but as you suggest, the genie is out of the bottle.

The Alvarez offside played out correctly, given the linesman thought Foden was offside, but wasn’t 100%. Play carried on, it was checked and Foden was in fact onside and the goal therefore stood.
This is incorrect. The linesman flagged for offside. This was despite them being under clear instructions to only flag if 100% sure it is off with no doubt. This is nothing like correct procedure.

This is incorrect. The linesman flagged for offside. This was despite them being under clear instructions to only flag if 100% sure it is off with no doubt. This is nothing like correct procedure.
He flagged offside after the ball was in the net, which is correct procedure if he thinks it is offside, but not certain.

Premier league referees implement VAR differently to the IFAB guidance. It’s very odd
As long as it’s consistent, I don’t mind what they do.

I’m not sure showing Dermot Gallagher the video of a Hungarian game to suggest Dias’ handball shouldn’t have been a penalty would get you very far.

He flagged offside after the ball was in the net, which is correct procedure if he thinks it is offside, but not certain.
He has no need. Every goal is checked. Its the mindset that automatically we are offside when anything is tight. The only thing clear with the ball already leaving Kdb’s foot is they are both clearly onside. You wont have to wait very long to see a linesman not flag for a similar redshirts goal. This is why we need VAR, we are worse off without it

Attachments

• 4EEE3C23-185B-42CA-89C8-978B394E118B.jpeg
    4EEE3C23-185B-42CA-89C8-978B394E118B.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.