VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had chats with three of the rare bread “reasonable” United supporters, and a Spurs supporting colleague who all thought it was a bit dubious in the context of the match. Some disagree with me about the Salah handball, but they all thought going back to Haaland’s foul was too far in the phase of play and that the Allison challenge was 50/50.

This is obviously a very small sample size, but it does refute your assertion above.

Yep. Check out Dale Johnson's VAR review. He puts it together every week with assistance from PGMOL and he agreed it wasn't a foul in the context of the game and that City will get an apology for that as Arsenal did a few weeks ago. He does say it was a foul on the keeper later, though, but we aren't talking about that, are we?

Why didn't VAR pick up Van Dick scuffing the spot before it was taken?

I remember a bundesliga game a few years ago it occured and the vandal was red carded for it after it was reviewed.
Should have been cautioned, but only if the referee saw him scuffing the pitch. I don't think VAR can intervene on such offences.
768fda056cc12e4b4f6e37247394bf44.jpg

Bet he wasn’t saying that around the 46th minute mark last night as they were recommending their referee has a look at giving them a penalty. Is it a general observation or is he annoyed about something specific?

He feels it has made officiating worse, Refs can just fall back on VAR and blame them for the ultimate decision

If VAR is here to stay, then refs have to change this mindset and it should all be on the ref to make the correct call - not VAR - the ref is the one that can see the incident in real time and now has the benefit of a monitor to check

Its something where VAR should be used

Without VAR a player could easily do this out of sight from the ref and get away with it forever
Although as it is becoming more prevalent, the referee could and maybe should give specific instructions to his assistants to watch out for this whilst a penalty is being considered. In fact, if they took any pride in their own performances, the assistants should observe this of their own volition.

The referee could move everyone away from the penalty mark to make sure it doesn't get tampered with.

Although as it is becoming more prevalent, the referee could and maybe should give specific instructions to his assistants to watch out for this whilst a penalty is being considered. In fact, if they took any pride in their own performances, the assistants should observe this of their own volition.

The referee could move everyone away from the penalty mark to make sure it doesn't get tampered with.

could spray a massive no go box zone around the spot :)

Bet he wasn’t saying that around the 46th minute mark last night as they were recommending their referee has a look at giving them a penalty. Is it a general observation or is he annoyed about something specific?
Amongst other things he states referees are now lazy knowing var is there to intervene but var is then making the wrong decisions.
It was in the Telegraph (online) but has now been rotated out and at present I can't view it.

Yep. Check out Dale Johnson's VAR review. He puts it together every week with assistance from PGMOL and he agreed it wasn't a foul in the context of the game and that City will get an apology for that as Arsenal did a few weeks ago. He does say it was a foul on the keeper later, though, but we aren't talking about that, are we?
I agree it shouldn't have been given as a foul in the context of the game. No Liverpool player thought it was a foul. They were all moaning about the challenge on Allison.

Looking at the Allison challenge again, I would say there was no way he could be considered to have control of the ball at any point. Haaland and Allison contacted the ball at virtually the same time, and Allison did not have the ball held between his hand and any other surfaces. (This refers to the technical description in the LOTG).

But as other posters have said, it might be time to move on from this game now.

I agree it shouldn't have been given as a foul in the context of the game. No Liverpool player thought it was a foul. They were all moaning about the challenge on Allison.

Looking at the Allison challenge again, I would say there was no way he could be considered to have control of the ball at any point. Haaland and Allison contacted the ball at virtually the same time, and Allison did not have the ball held between his hand and any other surfaces. (This refers to the technical description in the LOTG).

But as other posters have said, it might be time to move on from this game now.
And that's the problem, we move on and it gets forgotten about and nothing ever changes.

There is no wider debate from within the footballing community on the evolution of VAR and its fitness for purpose (or at least what we though it was going to be); certainly not from the TV stooges on Sky/BT who are ex-PiGMOL ref's who've all signed NDA's. Have no doubt they are still serving the interests of their former masters.

Just seen that Luiz has had his red card overturned. This was a sending off given after an off the ball incident which Oliver missed and VAR sent him to the monitor. What did they both see that led to a red and what has now been seen which has resulted in it being overturned. Personally didn’t think it worth anything more than a yellow at best but again shows what a joke the whole system is. Used by dick heads as a tool to ruin the game.

Just seen that Luiz has had his red card overturned. This was a sending off given after an off the ball incident which Oliver missed and VAR sent him to the monitor. What did they both see that led to a red and what has now been seen which has resulted in it being overturned. Personally didn’t think it worth anything more than a yellow at best but again shows what a joke the whole system is. Used by dick heads as a tool to ruin the game.
I assume Oliver missed nothing because clearly nothing worthy of a red happened. Var MUST have instructed Oliver to send him off the question is why ? Corrupt ? It begs the question because the man who was in charge of the match said no red and an independent panel agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.