VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that don't have it, want it. OK but those that have it, managers, players and fans, never stop calling it. Perhaps they are fed up with a product that doesn't do what we were promised it would.
There's a huge bias in that managers are only going to be complaining when they lose. They'll gloss over it when they win - but, given that their jobs rely on it, they are probably happy that decisions are more accurate.

I bet the clubs and managers (and likely players) would vote for it again every time.

For all the fuss about individual decisions, the only major argument for me is that it changes the dynamic of celebrating - especially in the ground. That's a problem because it's a negative even when the system works perfectly.

There's a huge bias in that managers are only going to be complaining when they lose. They'll gloss over it when they win - but, given that their jobs rely on it, they are probably happy that decisions are more accurate.

I bet the clubs and managers (and likely players) would vote for it again every time.

For all the fuss about individual decisions, the only major argument for me is that it changes the dynamic of celebrating - especially in the ground. That's a problem because it's a negative even when the system works perfectly.
Steven Gerrard wouldn't vote for it.

but, given that their jobs rely on it, they are probably happy that decisions are more accurate.
Are they more accurate though? The stats seem to say they are but does that include the mm offside decisions that nobody wants and are only accurate because the laws have changed (by removing the benefit of the doubt to the attacker line).
General decisions don't seem to be any more accurate than they used to be and there's just as much guess work and different interpretations of the laws going on as there's always been, the only difference now is you're never sure whether the VAR referee is going to use his opinion to overrule the onfield referee's opinion.
All VAR does is allow a defender more leeway to push at the edges of the laws than an attacker can as decisions are only re-refereed if a goal is scored, that doesn't seem to be a path to making the game better or even have the pretence of 'removing errors'. Stopping fans from celebrating by over analysing everything leading up to a goal in the nth degree isn't in the best interests of football in my opinion.

Are they more accurate though? The stats seem to say they are but does that include the mm offside decisions that nobody wants and are only accurate because the laws have changed (by removing the benefit of the doubt to the attacker line).
General decisions don't seem to be any more accurate than they used to be and there's just as much guess work and different interpretations of the laws going on as there's always been, the only difference now is you're never sure whether the VAR referee is going to use his opinion to overrule the onfield referee's opinion.
All VAR does is allow a defender more leeway to push at the edges of the laws than an attacker can as decisions are only re-refereed if a goal is scored, that doesn't seem to be a path to making the game better or even have the pretence of 'removing errors'. Stopping fans from celebrating by over analysing everything leading up to a goal in the nth degree isn't in the best interests of football in my opinion.
The way VAR works currently gives the benefit of the doubt to the attacker, as the thicker lines allow leeway in one way only. Something that never really happened in practice before. mm offsides aren't desirable, but then if they're going to be accurate, they may as well be as close as possible. After all, would you prefer an assistant to flag incorrectly, but it's only overturned if it turns out to be more than 20cm out?

Once the auto system comes in for all matches, and decisions are a lot quicker, it'll be interesting to see if that changes things. Once it has the confidence of officials, I'd like to see the semi-auto part taken out, as it sounds like that's just to reassure the officials that it is working. Then it can hopefully work like the goal decision system, where it instantly gives the decision and buzzes the assistant who can flag pretty much immediately.

That was bizarre today. Almost 3 mins to award a pen when the game was going on! What would have happened has say Brighton scored in that period? Would it have been chalked off?
I believe it would have been, problem though as Pawson was shit he would have likely let it stand and deny us the penalty.

The one on Haaland looked a pen in real time in the ground today. I've just seen the replay and it was a stonewall pen. How the fuck does VAR miss that? The claim they reviewed it and it was no pen.
I’m not sure as it was a blatant penalty, unlike the one we got given, where Bernardo left his leg out to make contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.